Theres no AGP 4X option in my Dragon+ BIOS

jaimegmr

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
I have a Dragon Plus motherboard. I have a PCI video card but I dont think this has any effect on my problem. I went into the AGP setup section of the bios and found that the only options for the AGP speed are 1X and 2X. Isnt the Dragon Plus supposed to support 4X? I just updated the bios so I dont know if the newer BIOS removed the option, because I had not checked before. I am wondering if I will be able to enable 4X mode when I buy a new AIW Radeon 8500DV soon. The manual says that the 4X mode is the default mode, but then why isnt it one of the options?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am posting this question because I dont want to run into incompatibility problems when I install the new video card.

Octivus

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
I don't think PCI can run at 4x. 2x is the max. You answered your own question methinks.

Edit: Your new Agp 4x card should work fine after it's installed.

<i><font color=blue>If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets.</font color=blue></i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Octivus on 03/07/02 05:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jaimegmr

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
Isnt the AGP Mode select for AGP video cards only? It is in the AGP menu, so I think it should only affect AGP cards, not PCI-bus video cards. Anyways, can anyone confirm this?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
agp mode select will only change the agp slot...
it will not change anything for the pci video card as far as i know.
hehe.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

You're right that the AGP mode only pertains to the AGP slot. I'm running the exact combo you are considering: Dragon Plus and the ATI 8500DV. It's a great marriage of two great components.

jaimegmr

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
Well thanks to everyone who has posted a reply. I appreciate all your help. I still have not bought the card but it will hopefully work properly when I get it. I hope I dont have any problems.