Dell Latitude CP - upgrading as uch as possible

Hello all:

Have a Dell Latitude CP;
(Forgot how old, but probably worth about $250.00 now)
MMC-1, Pentium 233mHz,
(1) 64MB sodimm,
1.4 gb HD,
Windows 98SE (came with it)
Dialup modem
CD-ROM

Would like to do this:
MMC-1, Pentium 400mHz,
(2) 256mb sodimms,
80 gb HDD
Windows 2000 Pro - new install
LAN card
CDRW
Docking station

Not sure if it can be done successfully without some issues,
I've only found information that the BIOS needs to be changed to,
TR4 & LCPI_A12 for the faster processor.

Any advise or wisdom would be appreciated:

HMGI

PeterD

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 22:09:28 GMT, "HMGI" <res0uemb@verizon.net> wrote:

>Hello all:
>
>Have a Dell Latitude CP;
>(Forgot how old, but probably worth about $250.00 now)
>MMC-1, Pentium 233mHz,
>(1) 64MB sodimm,
>1.4 gb HD,
>Windows 98SE (came with it)
>Dialup modem
>CD-ROM
>
>Would like to do this:
>MMC-1, Pentium 400mHz,
>(2) 256mb sodimms,
>80 gb HDD
>Windows 2000 Pro - new install
>LAN card
>CDRW
>Docking station

The cost of what you want exceeds the cost of a new machine.

Mike

Splendid

HMGI wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> Have a Dell Latitude CP;
> (Forgot how old, but probably worth about $250.00 now)
> MMC-1, Pentium 233mHz,
> (1) 64MB sodimm,
> 1.4 gb HD,
> Windows 98SE (came with it)
> Dialup modem
> CD-ROM
>
> Would like to do this:
> MMC-1, Pentium 400mHz,
> (2) 256mb sodimms,
> 80 gb HDD
> Windows 2000 Pro - new install
> LAN card
> CDRW
> Docking station
>
> Not sure if it can be done successfully without some issues,
> I've only found information that the BIOS needs to be changed to,
> TR4 & LCPI_A12 for the faster processor.
>
> Any advise or wisdom would be appreciated:
>
> HMGI

NEVER EVER pour money into an obsolete laptop.
Get a boat...just as wasteful and more fun...

The stuff you buy probably won't work in your next laptop.

Buy a used one that's already depreciated and keep it unitl it
no longer does what you need.

$250 seems optimistic. My CPIA-400 was $100 two years ago...
with LS-120, DVD, 128MB 4gig.

Speeding up the processor is not the whole story. Memory bandwidth
can stifle the processor...as can cache size/bandwidth. Cooling issues?

Make sure your system can accept the memory. My Dell refused to accept
standard 256M memory. Needed low density ram that was much less
available/more expensive. Was cheaper to buy a $1 garage sale laptop
and steal the ram out of it. Another thing to watch out for is the
physical size of the memory. My Dell uses "short"
memory. Standard memory is just tall enough that two won't fit without
bumping heads. They don't tell you that on the memory selector site.

Ditto for hard drive. Fast drive won't help if the controller can't use
that mode.

I thought I wanted a CDRW until I considered the cost/benefit.
If I want to copy a CD, I can use Nero to make an image file and burn
it later on the desktop. I've NEVER burned a CD on the laptop.
Your situation may be different.

I bought a used 300MHz laptop with win2K. It was DOG SLOW. Putting
98se on it perked it right up. YMMV.

Depending on exactly which laptop you have, the docking station has a
LAN built into it. That's about all I use my docking station for.
They're generally useless. Can't put a display on top and accesss the
keyboard. The laptop display may already be better than most monitors.
Handy if you have a lot of peripherals hooked up.
Otherwise pretty much useless.
I have an extra docking station that fits the cpiA. Make an offer, but
depending on where you live, shipping is probably a deal killer.

I've also got some extra 64mb SODIMMs. Moving from 64MB to 128MB
probably IS a decent cost/benefit upgrade.

Find a way to be happy with what you've got until you find a newer
laptop that comes with everything you need.

Better yet, send me the money you were gonna waste on the upgrades
and I'll buy a boat ;-)
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

PeterD:
Thanks for the advice.
I've haven't seen any new Dell laptops out there for $350.00, but I'll keep
looking.
HMGI

"PeterD" <peter2@hipson.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 22:09:28 GMT, "HMGI" <res0uemb@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> >Hello all:
> >
> >Have a Dell Latitude CP;
> >(Forgot how old, but probably worth about $250.00 now)
> >MMC-1, Pentium 233mHz,
> >(1) 64MB sodimm,
> >1.4 gb HD,
> >Windows 98SE (came with it)
> >Dialup modem
> >CD-ROM
> >
> >Would like to do this:
> >MMC-1, Pentium 400mHz,
> >(2) 256mb sodimms,
> >80 gb HDD
> >Windows 2000 Pro - new install
> >LAN card
> >CDRW
> >Docking station
> >

> The cost of what you want exceeds the cost of a new machine.

Perhaps not $350, but $499. The gains you would get from your proposed
changes are not worth it. The 400 would be a P2, not a P1, so are you sure
it would work?

Unfortunately, your machine is worth less that $250
"HMGI" <res0uemb@verizon.net> wrote in message
> PeterD:
> Thanks for the advice.
> I've haven't seen any new Dell laptops out there for $350.00, but I'll
> keep
> looking.
> HMGI
>
> "PeterD" <peter2@hipson.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 22:09:28 GMT, "HMGI" <res0uemb@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Hello all:
>> >
>> >Have a Dell Latitude CP;
>> >(Forgot how old, but probably worth about $250.00 now)
>> >MMC-1, Pentium 233mHz,
>> >(1) 64MB sodimm,
>> >1.4 gb HD,
>> >Windows 98SE (came with it)
>> >Dialup modem
>> >CD-ROM
>> >
>> >Would like to do this:
>> >MMC-1, Pentium 400mHz,
>> >(2) 256mb sodimms,
>> >80 gb HDD
>> >Windows 2000 Pro - new install
>> >LAN card
>> >CDRW
>> >Docking station
>> >

>> The cost of what you want exceeds the cost of a new machine.

Tom Scales:

From the investigation that I have done over the last few days,
indications are that a PII will fit on the existing motherboard.
The BIOS however will have to be updated.
The 400mHz processor is supposed to accept larger HDDs
In addition, the memory can be increased to 256mb.
If I'm wrong let me know.

Thanks
HMGI

> Perhaps not $350, but $499. The gains you would get from your proposed
> changes are not worth it. The 400 would be a P2, not a P1, so are you
sure
> it would work?
>
> Unfortunately, your machine is worth less that $250
> "HMGI" <res0uemb@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > PeterD:
> > Thanks for the advice.
> > I've haven't seen any new Dell laptops out there for $350.00, but I'll
> > keep
> > looking.
> > HMGI
> >
> > "PeterD" <peter2@hipson.net> wrote in message

> >> The cost of what you want exceeds the cost of a new machine.

Mike:
Had a boat ... A 47ft with twin dragster engines in in it.
I think your right ...
I'll let it go ... Well, it's for different reasons :)
Thanks:
HMGI

mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote in news:4323A92C.2080107@netscape.net:

> $250 seems optimistic. My CPIA-400 was $100 two years ago...
> with LS-120, DVD, 128MB 4gig.

I agree with this. For the cost of ugrading the old laptop (if even
possible), the original poster could buy, if not a new laptop, at least a
better old one.

Out here in the Portland Oregon area, you can get a surplus CPi (PII-333
etc ) for $50 to $100, or a surplus CPxJ (PIII-500 or 600) for $100 to
$150.

- FM -

I had done it but I was a little less than satisfied.
Yes, the TR4 bios trick will make it a CPi so you can then use the faster
MMC-1 cpu's . I upgraded to a 466mhz MMC-1 celeron (that is the fastest
MMC-1 that was made). The 128 meg sodimms are rare and expensive (I paid
almost $100 each for mine) they have to be edo. pc66, pc100, sdram, etc
will not work, they have to be edo. Warning: some of the 128 meg edo
sodimms will not work in the Cpi's, don't know why, but they don't. Mine
were labeled for IBM and they worked.

Harddrive is less a problem, just be sure it is an exceptable drive height
(thickness), but I believe you could use up to 12.5mm high in the cp/cpi
machines.

You can use Win 2000 pro in it, I did and it all worked. Docking and Lan
are not a problem. The video will still be incredibly slow, no way to
improve that and the bus speed is still slow, but you already know that.

good luck,

Bill