Problem with Windows Messenger trought firewall

April 21, 2005 2:44:03 PM

Greeting,

I have a trouble using Windows Messenger trought firewall,
the Windows Messenger (XP) don't work but MSN Messenger
(6.2/7.0) yes. I have open port 1863.

Tnanks.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 3:45:06 PM

what firewall software are you using?

"Benedicto" wrote:

> Greeting,
>
> I have a trouble using Windows Messenger trought firewall,
> the Windows Messenger (XP) don't work but MSN Messenger
> (6.2/7.0) yes. I have open port 1863.
>
> Tnanks.

Anonymous
April 21, 2005 4:14:43 PM

Checkpoint NG FP3

April 21, 2005 4:21:01 PM

i dont no that one.

have you disable windows firewall?

also why do you want to run windows messenger when msn messenger is better?
i think msn one has always got remote desktop etc built in.

but i understand you its to nice to have everything working. does anybody
else have any ideas?

"Benedicto" wrote:

> Checkpoint NG FP3

Anonymous
April 21, 2005 8:40:14 PM

Hi,

The Windows Firewall blocks incoming connections only; connecting to Messenger makes outgoing
connections.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"tiiim" <tiiim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i dont no that one.
>
> have you disable windows firewall?
>
> also why do you want to run windows messenger when msn messenger is better?
> i think msn one has always got remote desktop etc built in.
>
> but i understand you its to nice to have everything working. does anybody
> else have any ideas?
>
> "Benedicto" wrote:
>
>> Checkpoint NG FP3

Anonymous
April 21, 2005 8:40:24 PM

Greetings,

Open port 443 as well.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Benedicto" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greeting,
>
> I have a trouble using Windows Messenger trought firewall,
> the Windows Messenger (XP) don't work but MSN Messenger
> (6.2/7.0) yes. I have open port 1863.
>
> Tnanks.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 11:06:11 PM

I've been trying to figure out how to get to the ports to
open and close certain ones for months and would
appreciate any help you could give me in where to look
for them on XP Home SP1. Thanks for your help and
time! sstephy

Jonathan Kay.

>"Benedicto" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message
>> Greeting,
>>
>> I have a trouble using Windows Messenger trought
firewall,
>> the Windows Messenger (XP) don't work but MSN Messenger
>> (6.2/7.0) yes. I have open port 1863.
>>
>> Tnanks.
>

>.

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 12:34:37 PM

Hi,

You shouldn't be opening any ports in XP Home SP1; the Windows Firewall blocks incoming
connections only -- for Messenger to just connect, all it requires is outgoing ports which
are not blocked.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

!