Problem with Windows Messenger trought firewall

Greeting,

I have a trouble using Windows Messenger trought firewall,
the Windows Messenger (XP) don't work but MSN Messenger
(6.2/7.0) yes. I have open port 1863.

Tnanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about problem windows messenger trought firewall

    what firewall software are you using?

    "Benedicto" wrote:

    > Greeting,
    >
    > I have a trouble using Windows Messenger trought firewall,
    > the Windows Messenger (XP) don't work but MSN Messenger
    > (6.2/7.0) yes. I have open port 1863.
    >
    > Tnanks.

    Checkpoint NG FP3

    i dont no that one.

    have you disable windows firewall?

    also why do you want to run windows messenger when msn messenger is better?
    i think msn one has always got remote desktop etc built in.

    but i understand you its to nice to have everything working. does anybody
    else have any ideas?

    "Benedicto" wrote:

    > Checkpoint NG FP3

    Hi,

    The Windows Firewall blocks incoming connections only; connecting to Messenger makes outgoing
    connections.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "tiiim" <tiiim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i dont no that one.
    >
    > have you disable windows firewall?
    >
    > also why do you want to run windows messenger when msn messenger is better?
    > i think msn one has always got remote desktop etc built in.
    >
    > but i understand you its to nice to have everything working. does anybody
    > else have any ideas?
    >
    > "Benedicto" wrote:
    >
    >> Checkpoint NG FP3

    Greetings,

    Open port 443 as well.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Benedicto" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Greeting,
    >
    > I have a trouble using Windows Messenger trought firewall,
    > the Windows Messenger (XP) don't work but MSN Messenger
    > (6.2/7.0) yes. I have open port 1863.
    >
    > Tnanks.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    I've been trying to figure out how to get to the ports to
    open and close certain ones for months and would
    appreciate any help you could give me in where to look
    for them on XP Home SP1. Thanks for your help and
    time! sstephy

    Jonathan Kay.

    >"Benedicto" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message
    >> Greeting,
    >>
    >> I have a trouble using Windows Messenger trought
    firewall,
    >> the Windows Messenger (XP) don't work but MSN Messenger
    >> (6.2/7.0) yes. I have open port 1863.
    >>
    >> Tnanks.
    >

    >.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Hi,

    You shouldn't be opening any ports in XP Home SP1; the Windows Firewall blocks incoming
    connections only -- for Messenger to just connect, all it requires is outgoing ports which
    are not blocked.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "sstephy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've been trying to figure out how to get to the ports to
    > open and close certain ones for months and would
    > appreciate any help you could give me in where to look
    > for them on XP Home SP1. Thanks for your help and
    > time! sstephy

Firewalls Messenger Microsoft MSN Messenger Windows XP