Who said Messenger could autorun?

I recently installed "Security Update for Windows Messenger" (KB887472) from
WU (v5) - if Microsoft says it's critical then what choice do I have? :)
I've never had a start-menu link to Windows Messenger - a deliberate choice
(see Windows Components Wizard).
Since KB887472 I've not only got Messenger on my start-menu, it also auto
starts every time I log in (entry in
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run)
I've never used Messenger and don't imagine that I ever will.

Also, following KB887472, webscanx (the internet download scan part of
McAfee AV 4.5.1) will no longer run.

Anyone got any suggestions?
(I'm using XP Pro SP1, Media Player 10)

TIA,
Phil

Removed the autorun registry entry.
Now every time I open Outlook Express (to access newsgroups) my registry is
updated again with this same Run registry value (I'm blocking it with
Ad-Watch).

What is going on - I don't want Messenger!!!!

"Phil Sharpe" <nospam@spamless.co.uk> wrote in message
> I recently installed "Security Update for Windows Messenger" (KB887472)
from
> WU (v5) - if Microsoft says it's critical then what choice do I have? :)
> I've never had a start-menu link to Windows Messenger - a deliberate
choice
> (see Windows Components Wizard).
> Since KB887472 I've not only got Messenger on my start-menu, it also auto
> starts every time I log in (entry in
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run)
> I've never used Messenger and don't imagine that I ever will.
>
> Also, following KB887472, webscanx (the internet download scan part of
> McAfee AV 4.5.1) will no longer run.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions?
> (I'm using XP Pro SP1, Media Player 10)
>
> TIA,
> Phil

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:OsANvG3RFHA.356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Phil Sharpe <nospam@spamless.co.uk> had this to say:

> Removed the autorun registry entry.
> Now every time I open Outlook Express (to access newsgroups) my
> registry is updated again with this same Run registry value (I'm
> blocking it with Ad-Watch).
>
> What is going on - I don't want Messenger!!!!

Disable/Remove Windows Messenger:

Galen