New notebook blue-screened--driver problem

OK, I recently got a new Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.

The CD/DVD software that came with the machine is terrible. It is just not
"user friendly" and additionally it will not write to my RW data CD disks
created on my desktop using Roxio's software.

So, I installed the Roxio software on my notebook. It now reads and writes
to my CD's perfectly.

BUT, when I eject the CD I get the blue screen and the notebook shuts off.

When I reboot, I am asked if I want to send a report to MS. I said yes. It
did and then it also informed me that it was a device driver error.

I am not sure about the next step. I assume Roxio must have installed its
own driver?? Could there be a driver conflict? How can I tell? If there is a
conflict, do I uninstall the CD software that came with my notebook?? Or, is
the Roxio driver just not compatible with my notebook?

Mel

What version Roxio? Have you updated it at Roxio's website?

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> OK, I recently got a new Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.
>
> The CD/DVD software that came with the machine is terrible. It is just not
> "user friendly" and additionally it will not write to my RW data CD disks
> created on my desktop using Roxio's software.
>
> So, I installed the Roxio software on my notebook. It now reads and writes
> to my CD's perfectly.
>
> BUT, when I eject the CD I get the blue screen and the notebook shuts off.
>
> When I reboot, I am asked if I want to send a report to MS. I said yes. It
> did and then it also informed me that it was a device driver error.
>
> I am not sure about the next step. I assume Roxio must have installed its
> own driver?? Could there be a driver conflict? How can I tell? If there is
> a conflict, do I uninstall the CD software that came with my notebook??
> Or, is the Roxio driver just not compatible with my notebook?
>
> Mel

I tried their site. I have CD Creator Basic 5.1 .

I was unable to upgrade (it said I had to have CD Creator Platinum, which of
course they would be glad to sell me).

MB

> What version Roxio? Have you updated it at Roxio's website?
>
> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>> OK, I recently got a new Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.
>>
>> The CD/DVD software that came with the machine is terrible. It is just
>> not "user friendly" and additionally it will not write to my RW data CD
>> disks created on my desktop using Roxio's software.
>>
>> So, I installed the Roxio software on my notebook. It now reads and
>> writes to my CD's perfectly.
>>
>> BUT, when I eject the CD I get the blue screen and the notebook shuts
>> off.
>>
>> When I reboot, I am asked if I want to send a report to MS. I said yes.
>> It did and then it also informed me that it was a device driver error.
>>
>> I am not sure about the next step. I assume Roxio must have installed its
>> own driver?? Could there be a driver conflict? How can I tell? If there
>> is a conflict, do I uninstall the CD software that came with my
>> notebook?? Or, is the Roxio driver just not compatible with my notebook?
>>
>> Mel

There was nothing wrong with the machine. Adding to an RW disk requires
software beyond XP's internal capabilities. The blue screen is likely
Roxio. It doesn't get along well.

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> OK, I recently got a new Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.
>
> The CD/DVD software that came with the machine is terrible. It is just not
> "user friendly" and additionally it will not write to my RW data CD disks
> created on my desktop using Roxio's software.
>
> So, I installed the Roxio software on my notebook. It now reads and writes
> to my CD's perfectly.
>
> BUT, when I eject the CD I get the blue screen and the notebook shuts off.
>
> When I reboot, I am asked if I want to send a report to MS. I said yes. It
> did and then it also informed me that it was a device driver error.
>
> I am not sure about the next step. I assume Roxio must have installed its
> own driver?? Could there be a driver conflict? How can I tell? If there is
> a conflict, do I uninstall the CD software that came with my notebook??
> Or, is the Roxio driver just not compatible with my notebook?
>
> Mel

Tom:

It works fine on my Desktop (Dim 2400 also with XP Home)

Mel
> There was nothing wrong with the machine. Adding to an RW disk requires
> software beyond XP's internal capabilities. The blue screen is likely
> Roxio. It doesn't get along well.
>

> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>> OK, I recently got a new Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.
>>
>> The CD/DVD software that came with the machine is terrible. It is just
>> not "user friendly" and additionally it will not write to my RW data CD
>> disks created on my desktop using Roxio's software.
>>
>> So, I installed the Roxio software on my notebook. It now reads and
>> writes to my CD's perfectly.
>>
>> BUT, when I eject the CD I get the blue screen and the notebook shuts
>> off.
>>
>> When I reboot, I am asked if I want to send a report to MS. I said yes.
>> It did and then it also informed me that it was a device driver error.
>>
>> I am not sure about the next step. I assume Roxio must have installed its
>> own driver?? Could there be a driver conflict? How can I tell? If there
>> is a conflict, do I uninstall the CD software that came with my
>> notebook?? Or, is the Roxio driver just not compatible with my notebook?
>>
>> Mel

Did your XP Home machine have Roxio, Nero, etc. installed on it? These
applications add that ability.

5.1 requires, at a minimum, patches to run on XP properly.

Tom
> Tom:
>
> It works fine on my Desktop (Dim 2400 also with XP Home)
>
> Mel
>> There was nothing wrong with the machine. Adding to an RW disk requires
>> software beyond XP's internal capabilities. The blue screen is likely
>> Roxio. It doesn't get along well.
>>

>> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>>> OK, I recently got a new Dell Inspiron 2200 with XP Home.
>>>
>>> The CD/DVD software that came with the machine is terrible. It is just
>>> not "user friendly" and additionally it will not write to my RW data CD
>>> disks created on my desktop using Roxio's software.
>>>
>>> So, I installed the Roxio software on my notebook. It now reads and
>>> writes to my CD's perfectly.
>>>
>>> BUT, when I eject the CD I get the blue screen and the notebook shuts
>>> off.
>>>
>>> When I reboot, I am asked if I want to send a report to MS. I said yes.
>>> It did and then it also informed me that it was a device driver error.
>>>
>>> I am not sure about the next step. I assume Roxio must have installed
>>> its own driver?? Could there be a driver conflict? How can I tell? If
>>> there is a conflict, do I uninstall the CD software that came with my
>>> notebook?? Or, is the Roxio driver just not compatible with my notebook?
>>>
>>> Mel

Tom

Man I swear looked for the Basic version and couldn't find it. Anyway, I
found it and installed the patch.

Now, I don't get blue screened BUT...

It will not write to the CD. It says I don't have rights to it. But I am the
only user!! I went into DOS and did a DIR on the CD, and it says 0 bytes
available (which isn't true).

Suggestions on what to try next??

Mel

0 bytes available is likely true. It almost always says that, even if there
is room left.

My guess is you closed the session. Try erasing the disk and starting over.

Tom
"MZB" <moo@noway.prudigy.net> wrote in message
> Tom
>
> Man I swear looked for the Basic version and couldn't find it. Anyway, I
> found it and installed the patch.
>
> Now, I don't get blue screened BUT...
>
> It will not write to the CD. It says I don't have rights to it. But I am
> the only user!! I went into DOS and did a DIR on the CD, and it says 0
> bytes available (which isn't true).
>
> Suggestions on what to try next??
>
> Mel

Tom:

The CD was formatted on my other computer using Roxio. It is supposed to act
as a data disk, like a floppy.

Mel
>0 bytes available is likely true. It almost always says that, even if there
>is room left.
>
> My guess is you closed the session. Try erasing the disk and starting
> over.
>
> Tom
> "MZB" <moo@noway.prudigy.net> wrote in message
>> Tom
>>
>> Man I swear looked for the Basic version and couldn't find it. Anyway, I
>> found it and installed the patch.
>>
>> Now, I don't get blue screened BUT...
>>
>> It will not write to the CD. It says I don't have rights to it. But I am
>> the only user!! I went into DOS and did a DIR on the CD, and it says 0
>> bytes available (which isn't true).
>>
>> Suggestions on what to try next??
>>
>> Mel

I believe it can still be closed. Without sitting in front of the computer,
this is tough to diagnose. I don't believe in floppy formated RW disks (too
many problems just like this one), so I don't use them.

> Tom:
>
> The CD was formatted on my other computer using Roxio. It is supposed to
> act as a data disk, like a floppy.
>
> Mel
>>0 bytes available is likely true. It almost always says that, even if
>>there is room left.
>>
>> My guess is you closed the session. Try erasing the disk and starting
>> over.
>>
>> Tom
>> "MZB" <moo@noway.prudigy.net> wrote in message
>>> Tom
>>>
>>> Man I swear looked for the Basic version and couldn't find it. Anyway, I
>>> found it and installed the patch.
>>>
>>> Now, I don't get blue screened BUT...
>>>
>>> It will not write to the CD. It says I don't have rights to it. But I am
>>> the only user!! I went into DOS and did a DIR on the CD, and it says 0
>>> bytes available (which isn't true).
>>>
>>> Suggestions on what to try next??
>>>
>>> Mel

Tom:

Now it's not recognizing ANY CD. (No blue screen, however). I unloaded
Roxio. Screw it.

I can use a flash memory USB pen-type thinghy.

Also, PCWORLD mentioned xmailharddrive.com. It works great (virtual hard
drive) and is perfect for what I want to do.

Mel