MoBo Change; reformat?

G

I am currently using the Iwill KK-266 motherboard with Windows XP Pro and an T-bird 1.2. I would like to upgrade to a KT333 chipset with DDR memory and was looking at the Gigabyte GA-7VRXP. So that my wife will not know... I hope I don't need to format. Can I reinstall over the current OS and keep all my settings? Im not sure about windows XP with all the restrictions. Does anyone have any information? My wife just does not understand, you know what I mean. Thanks guys.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
You won't have to do anything. Windows should automatically install generic drivers when you boot up for the first time. All you have to do is install the drivers that came with your mobo once Windows is up and running.

I can't think of a good signature so I'll use this one.

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You also, more than likely, will have to reactivate Windows XP. I know I did just by going from an MSI KT133A to an Abit KT266A. Windows will see a different bios and vendor ID and will think it's on another machine.

Intel = Ford
AMD = Chevy
Friends don't let friends drive Fords

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
GoodLuck Warpig...I just upgraded my mobo from a Iwill KK266 and Nividia G2MX running windowsXP Pro to a Iwill XP333 and a Radeon 8500 video card. Posted fine...but caught the dreaded BSOD repeatedly when going to windows. Yes...had to reformat... :-(

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i thought you only had to reactivate when you have more than 7 hardware class changes.
like if you changed everything...
that is what i can think you would have to reactivate for.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
When you change your motherboard, all your other hardware is redected and reassigned, so I think reactivation might be necessary. Heck, if you move all your cards around without changing a single card, you'll probably have to reactivate after a couple tries.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Shocwavez

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
I changed from a Asus P4S333 to Epox 4SDA+. XP didn't ask for reactivation. Maybe cause the chipset is the same. Go figure.

:tongue: <font color=green> I LOVE INTEL. It tastes like chicken </font color=green>

G

<i>"I have been told WinXP has to be reactivated when:
You change hard drives.
You change cpu's
You change motherboards.
Add new IDE controllers"</i>

Hmmmmm -- well in my experience, I've changed CPU's, and IDE Controllers, and have yet to be prompted for reactivation. Mobos and BIOS, most definitely. Hard drives, absolutely.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you better reformat. reassigning the devices with possible conflicts with existing driver sets might actually slow the system down, after rebooting a number of times (anything between 3 to 12 times) each time detecting a new device!

it will also freshen up your install and rejuvinte the system which will perform much better.

girish

P.S. make sure you backup c:\My Documents, c:\Windows\Application Data and c:\Windows\Favorites - these are the most important folders, before you format your C drive.

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Has anyone have to reactivate twice in a month?

I had to reactivate when I added a RAID card to my 1200 T-bird/KT133a. Nice lady at M$, didn't think they hired them.

But, a week after I reactivated, boom, my T-bird died and I replaced it with a 1800 XP/KT266A. Guess what, I have to reactivate again. Going to wait though, I may pick up a GeForce4TI4600 this weekend (oh boy oh boy oh boy)and I don't want to activate now and then again when I swap video cards.

I'm just concerned, can M$ say "no, we're not reactivating?"

Intel = Ford
AMD = Chevy
Friends don't let friends drive Fords