ECS K7S5A Two thumbs up!!

Xynok

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Well, I have the system up and running, and I encountered ZERO issues. Sweet mobo for a very sweet price.

Specs:

Mobo: ECS K7S5A (Feb02 BIOS)<133/133>
PS: Sparkle 400W
Proc: TBird 1.4GHz
RAM: 512MB PC133 Infineon
HDD: WD 60GB 7200RPM ATA100
Vid: Jaton GF2 64MB AGP
Snd: Terratec DMX 24/96
CDRW: Plextor 24/10/40
CDROM: SONY 52x
Floppy: Mitsumi
Modem: Generic Internal 56K

Everything worked like a champ from the get-go. Been running for 2 days non-stop with ZERO issues. Total price: $1205.36 (shipping+tax included). I'm very pleased with this mobo, and the ability to upgrade cannot be matched for the cost. USE THIS BOARD OR YOU ARE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR NO REASON.

Heh.

Xynok

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
s5a020206lan is the newest BIOS available, from Feb 27, 2002. I DL'd it from www.esc.com.tw

There is even a link to it right on the front page of the site above.

<133/133> Are my FSB/RAM freq. settings.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think one key here is "400W Power Supply". Most of the complaints I see about these boards is "It won't work" only to find out that the guy is using a 250W (or SMALLER) power supply! Then everyone blames everything BUT the power supply.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

I've been recommending 400W supplies for ages. Few seem to listen.

I understand there may be other problems encountered, but from personal experience, I switched on the system with everything in place, configured the FSB/mem settings and other minor BIOS touches and away!

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, it seems that, since this is an inexpensive board, people think they can get away with using as many inexpensive parts as possible. So they typically throw in a cheap undersized power supply and some generic RAM, then complain that they have problems. And it's happened so many times people just blame the board!

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I've built 4 systems with these boards. 2 worked perfectly. 2 were DOA. The 2 that were DOA were the earlier versions. The ones that worked were the later version. Solid boards. Good price. Built in lan. Good performance. Don't seem to work with Deer 300w power supplies, though.

I can't think of a good signature so I'll use this one.

I get a little suspicious at the way some throw immediate blame at the mobo.

I'm no expert, but one thing I do with a new mobo is to read the manual from cover to before I start messing with it.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>