G

I'm going to build a new PC- with the kt333 chipset- anyone do this yet? can u suggest which motherboard to use? hard to find any reviews..
I know asus has a board out with it
there's also the MSI KT3 Ultra-ARU KT333 Socket A Motherboard... nice and colorful but not sure if it's any good.

any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated.

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
Seeing that $109 gets you the SL-75DRV5 (at newegg), I would have to agree that's by far the best KT333 board out there - <b>based strictly on price/performance</b>. However, if you want (and can afford) a board loaded with great features, then I would definitely go for the Asus A7V333.

<b>God bless the <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue></b>

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
BTW, just in case you are still interested in the Asus A7V333 (as I am!), here's a <A HREF="http://www.tbreak.com/hard/mobo/asus_a7v333/page1.html" target="_new">review</A> that should get you excited. :wink:

<b>God bless the <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue></b>

G

hey- thanks a lot for that- and for the review- i'm checking it out now. looks pretty sweet- would you say that this asus is probably the best board out so far with kt333?

G

I've found it priced at $264 on Pricewatch.com selling at partspc.com and others

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
The A7V333 definitely has the very best set of features and it's now selling for about $160. The next most featured board is the Gigabyte GA-7VRXP, which pretty well matches the Asus (except for COP) and is available for about $135. As stated earlier, the very best bang for the buck (for a no-frills board) is the Soltek SL-75DRV5, so if you just want a high-performance board without on-board RAID, LAN, USB 2.0 or (good) Audio, then the Soltek saves you about $30 over the Gigabyte. But IMHO all those on-board features are well worth the additional $30.

As for me, I'm planning on getting an A7V133 as soon as my local dealer gets them in (he's expecting them in another week). The COP feature, which only the Asus has (so far), is invaluable to me because it's the only absolute way to prevent frying your Athlon XP in the event of an HSF failure!

Jablumen

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
I just purchased the Gigabyte GA-7VRXP and and XP1800+ and expect them early next week. I'll report on my experience once I get it up and running.

John

Ain't this fun!

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
Do a search on pricewatch - it's there!

Timbo55

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2002
What do you all think about the MSI KT3-Ultra board ?

http://www.tbreak.com/hard/mobo/msi_kt3ultra/page1.html

I'm tossing up between this MSI one and the Asus A7V333. (when they both eventually are availble here in Australia)

They seem to be fairly similar in features and specs. I like the C.O.P. on the Asus but the MSI seems to get a better write up regarding "tweakabilty" thru BIOS rather than jumpers (as with some thing on the Asus).

PS - I'm fairly new at all this and was wondering if the IE1394 Firewire onboard the A7V333 means you don't need a special Firewire card, just the bracket that comes in the box, connected to the mobo. (I know it may be a silly question, but if my thinking is correct it saves $$$ on buying a IE1394 card)

Cheers Timbo.....

IntelConvert

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
I would get the A7V333, if for no other reason than the COP feature. And even considering performance, Asus boards typically outperform MSI boards (chipset for chipset).

If you get the A7V333 with the FireWire <i>option</i>, that would indeed serve the same purpose as a IEEE1394 PCI card, saving you some (but not all) of that expense. In other words, since FireWire is an <i>optional feature</i>, there will be some additional cost for the version of the board that has it! :wink:

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
<b>FYI:</b> I've just been informed by my local dealer that Asus is not (now) distributing the A7V333 with the on-board FireWire option!