version 7.0 probs

April 23, 2005 4:01:01 AM

Since reformatting my hard drive and installing Messanger version 7.0, I have
been having several probs running the program and accessing my mail.
Firstly to clarify is Windows messanger and MSN messanger one of the same
thing or are they seperate items ?
When I start the PC I often get two icons on the taskbar for messanger - one
showing the two figure icon and the other a single figure icon.
When I try to sign in for Windows messanger I get a message stating 'a newer
vesion is available' and that I need to download it. I have already
downloaded vesion 7.0 which I believed was the latest !
If I choose the download option it states that I need to close I Explorer,
MSN Explorer,Outlook express & Outlook. Despite these programs being closed
the program wont download and ignoring to download takes me back to square
one.
If I go to hotmail to access my email the program generally takes so long it
wont open and I cant access my mail.
I have attempted to remove messanger and re-install through the add/remove
programs folder but despite the program no longer showing on the list it is
still present when I reboot on my start menu and taskbar !!!!
I would appreciate if anyone can advise as to the problem as I didn't have
this problem with the previous version and only ever had the one icon on the
taskbar.
I have also attempted a re-install of the program but as already stated it
seems to keep just re-appearing after uninstall with the same problems.

Eos.

More about : version probs

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 6:45:01 PM

WM and MSN are 2 different animals. If you like MSN, disable WM via Outlook
Express and MS Outlook if you are using MS Office.

"Eos" <Eos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since reformatting my hard drive and installing Messanger version 7.0, I have
> been having several probs running the program and accessing my mail.
> Firstly to clarify is Windows messanger and MSN messanger one of the same
> thing or are they seperate items ?
> When I start the PC I often get two icons on the taskbar for messanger - one
> showing the two figure icon and the other a single figure icon.
> When I try to sign in for Windows messanger I get a message stating 'a newer
> vesion is available' and that I need to download it. I have already
> downloaded vesion 7.0 which I believed was the latest !
> If I choose the download option it states that I need to close I Explorer,
> MSN Explorer,Outlook express & Outlook. Despite these programs being closed
> the program wont download and ignoring to download takes me back to square
> one.
> If I go to hotmail to access my email the program generally takes so long it
> wont open and I cant access my mail.
> I have attempted to remove messanger and re-install through the add/remove
> programs folder but despite the program no longer showing on the list it is
> still present when I reboot on my start menu and taskbar !!!!
> I would appreciate if anyone can advise as to the problem as I didn't have
> this problem with the previous version and only ever had the one icon on the
> taskbar.
> I have also attempted a re-install of the program but as already stated it
> seems to keep just re-appearing after uninstall with the same problems.
>
> Eos.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 11:34:53 PM

I believe the Windows Messenger forced upgrade version is 4.7.2009 (latest
is 5.1)

MSN Messenger forced upgrade is 6.2 but since you have the latest (7.0) that
won't matter.

The Messenger icon with the butterfly next to the green or red man is MSN
Messenger, and the plain figure with no butterfly is Windows Messenger.

Hope this helps (and as D@nnyBoy said, they are two completely different
programs)

Brendan Runeckles

!