PCI slot ISA slot

G

I recently got a new computer with a Pentium 4 motherboard. In my previous PC I had a card (ISA) for a parallel port which I had hoped to install in my new computer. When I tried to install it on the Pentium 4 motherboard, I realized that there were not any ISA slots only PCI slots.

Can a PCI slot be adapated to preform as an ISA slot? Maybe some kind of a mechanical device (connector/adapater.) This device would allow a ISA card to be pluged into a PCI slot.

Any information on this adapation will be greatly appeeciated.

Larry

If the world did not suck, we would all fall off.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
i doubt it...and besides...ISA slots are a dying if not dead thing...you wont find anything new using ISA slots...

<b><A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2932776" target="_new">P4 + DDR333</A>=<font color=blue>OK</font color=blue></b>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Why do you need an extra parallel port?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Larry - You're not going to get that ISA card in there. You can look for a PCI version, or, if you just need it for a printer, have a look for a USB->Parallel adaptor.

- JW

G

I have an unused USB connection. Do you think I can use it for a HP scanner? I want to have a printer, tape drive, and the scanner connected all at one time so I need at least two parallel type ports. Right now I have my printer connected through the tape drive and the tape drive pluged into the PC's only parallel port but I do not have a port for the scanner. Do you know if there is a adaptor to covert the scanner plug to a USB plug?

Thanks for your help, I do not know too much about USB ports yet.

Larry

If the world did not suck, we would all fall off.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes, most parallel port scanners have a pass through printer connection. else, just buy a USB scanner. as a matter of fact, you even get USB->parallel convertors!

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ISA slots are dead! the PC99 standard specifies against having them!

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Larry - Those inventive people over at Belkin have come up with <A HREF="http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=1999&pcount=&Product_Id=122718&Section.Section_Path=//Root/USB/PCProducts/Adapters/" target="_new">these</A> handy little doodads (sp?).

I don't know if you can put a scanner or tape drive on one but you can put your printer on it and daisy chain you scanner and tape drive on the parallel port.

- JW