Audio quality

I am asking this for a family member...she just purchased a new Dell pc with
Windows Home Edition and is unable to use the voice portion of Windows
Messenger or MSN Messenger. The conversations are constantly breaking up and
she only gets a word here and there of our conversation. The same goes for
me - I only get a word here and there of her's. Prior to this new Dell she
was running and old HP with 98 with MSN Messenger and no problems whatsoever.
She has no third-party firewall, she is using McAfee Anitvirus that came
with the pc, she has run the setup wizards and we tired turning off the
Windows firewall and it did not make a difference. She has done all of her
updates and is running SP2 - but even prior to any updates - the messengers
were not usable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
4 answers Last reply
More about audio quality

    Greetings Fuzzy,

    This can commonly be caused by the QoS Packet Scheduler. To do so, click Start, then click
    the Control Panel. If you're in category view click Network and Internet connections then
    click Network Connections. Right click your network/internet connection, then click
    Properties. Uncheck the QoS Packet Scheduler, then reboot and try again. If you're unable to
    uncheck it (grayed but still on), choose the Uninstall button instead.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Fuzzy" <Fuzzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am asking this for a family member...she just purchased a new Dell pc with
    > Windows Home Edition and is unable to use the voice portion of Windows
    > Messenger or MSN Messenger. The conversations are constantly breaking up and
    > she only gets a word here and there of our conversation. The same goes for
    > me - I only get a word here and there of her's. Prior to this new Dell she
    > was running and old HP with 98 with MSN Messenger and no problems whatsoever.
    > She has no third-party firewall, she is using McAfee Anitvirus that came
    > with the pc, she has run the setup wizards and we tired turning off the
    > Windows firewall and it did not make a difference. She has done all of her
    > updates and is running SP2 - but even prior to any updates - the messengers
    > were not usable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

    Thank you Jonathan for your quick response - I will have her try this and let
    you know if this fixed her problem. Thanks again.

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings Fuzzy,
    >
    > This can commonly be caused by the QoS Packet Scheduler. To do so, click Start, then click
    > the Control Panel. If you're in category view click Network and Internet connections then
    > click Network Connections. Right click your network/internet connection, then click
    > Properties. Uncheck the QoS Packet Scheduler, then reboot and try again. If you're unable to
    > uncheck it (grayed but still on), choose the Uninstall button instead.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Fuzzy" <Fuzzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am asking this for a family member...she just purchased a new Dell pc with
    > > Windows Home Edition and is unable to use the voice portion of Windows
    > > Messenger or MSN Messenger. The conversations are constantly breaking up and
    > > she only gets a word here and there of our conversation. The same goes for
    > > me - I only get a word here and there of her's. Prior to this new Dell she
    > > was running and old HP with 98 with MSN Messenger and no problems whatsoever.
    > > She has no third-party firewall, she is using McAfee Anitvirus that came
    > > with the pc, she has run the setup wizards and we tired turning off the
    > > Windows firewall and it did not make a difference. She has done all of her
    > > updates and is running SP2 - but even prior to any updates - the messengers
    > > were not usable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

    I have the same sort of problem.
    I have three laptops: 2x Dell Inspiron 8500 and 1x
    Inspiron 1200 (all using different email addresses and
    sign ins).
    I can get good sound quality between the two 8500s, but
    the sound received on the 1200 is appalling (one word out
    of c10). I have done as you suggested with the QoS
    Packet Scheduler - but it's made no difference. Any othe
    ideas / suugestions?
    Thanks

    Jonathan Kay.

    >"Fuzzy" <Fuzzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    1C0CE3823F20@microsoft.com...
    >>I am asking this for a family member...she just
    purchased a new Dell pc with
    >> Windows Home Edition and is unable to use the voice
    portion of Windows
    >> Messenger or MSN Messenger. The conversations are
    constantly breaking up and
    >> she only gets a word here and there of our
    conversation. The same goes for
    >> me - I only get a word here and there of her's. Prior
    to this new Dell she
    >> was running and old HP with 98 with MSN Messenger and
    no problems whatsoever.
    >> She has no third-party firewall, she is using McAfee
    Anitvirus that came
    >> with the pc, she has run the setup wizards and we
    tired turning off the
    >> Windows firewall and it did not make a difference.
    She has done all of her
    >> updates and is running SP2 - but even prior to any
    updates - the messengers
    >> were not usable. Any help would be greatly
    appreciated. Thank you.

    >.

    Ok, - she turned off the Qos Packet - but still no change. I was mistaken
    about her not having a third-party firewall - her pc did come with McAfee and
    she disabled that - and only has Windows Firewall running now - but still no
    change. Would you have any other suggestions? Thank you.

    "Fuzzy" wrote:

    > Thank you Jonathan for your quick response - I will have her try this and let
    > you know if this fixed her problem. Thanks again.
    >
    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > Greetings Fuzzy,
    > >
    > > This can commonly be caused by the QoS Packet Scheduler. To do so, click Start, then click
    > > the Control Panel. If you're in category view click Network and Internet connections then
    > > click Network Connections. Right click your network/internet connection, then click
    > > Properties. Uncheck the QoS Packet Scheduler, then reboot and try again. If you're unable to
    > > uncheck it (grayed but still on), choose the Uninstall button instead.
    > > Jonathan Kay
    > > Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
    > > Associate Expert
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
    > > Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    > > All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
    > > You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
    > >
    > > "Fuzzy" <Fuzzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I am asking this for a family member...she just purchased a new Dell pc with
    > > > Windows Home Edition and is unable to use the voice portion of Windows
    > > > Messenger or MSN Messenger. The conversations are constantly breaking up and
    > > > she only gets a word here and there of our conversation. The same goes for
    > > > me - I only get a word here and there of her's. Prior to this new Dell she
    > > > was running and old HP with 98 with MSN Messenger and no problems whatsoever.
    > > > She has no third-party firewall, she is using McAfee Anitvirus that came
    > > > with the pc, she has run the setup wizards and we tired turning off the
    > > > Windows firewall and it did not make a difference. She has done all of her
    > > > updates and is running SP2 - but even prior to any updates - the messengers
    > > > were not usable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Messenger MSN Messenger Windows XP