Sign in with
Your question

XCom Fans!

Last response: in Video Games
December 2, 2005 9:55:50 PM

To all the XCom fans out there....

UFO Aftershock appears to be an exact update of the classic games of XCom. I still play XCom to this day, so it might be a worthwhile buy.

Just an FYI and I've had too many capt'n and cokes.

More about : xcom fans

December 4, 2005 3:41:45 PM

OH NOES! =O

THE STARFORCE VIRUS!!!

Okay but seriously, I refuse to support it for that reason. Your game has to be Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory or Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones quality to get me to buy it with that copy protection. No remakes will qualify. I'll go for the older graphics.
December 5, 2005 10:47:14 AM

:D  I agree, XCom is still to this day an cracking game, I was playing XCom: Apocalypse until only a few months ago until my Pioneer slot drive player ate the CD.

I have been meaning to search the bargin bins for a new copy but have not had the chance. Might give Aftershock a go instead (Dear Santa........)
Related resources
December 5, 2005 12:50:20 PM

You can download the full version.. I picked them all up off kazaa resurrection. Fairly small.. I haven't seen the game anywhere to pick it up so might as well download it eh?

I tried out the demo for aftermath and it seemed clumsy. I think the aliens were too strong against your initial weapons too.. so it adds some difficultly. I mean, they're using bullets again. What happened to all the crap I learned in the last games! haha
December 5, 2005 1:28:52 PM

Kazaa resurrection??
December 6, 2005 1:54:44 PM

It's the next step from Kazaa++ Lite.. p2p sharing.. it's the resurrection..
December 6, 2005 2:57:12 PM

The bit torrent revolution pass you by?
December 7, 2005 7:05:31 PM

I don't download that much stuff.. and I always had a problem trying to find places to download from and stuff. Never really got into it though.
I probably should check it out though.
What are the good sites to go to? piratebay.com or something like that if I remember.
December 7, 2005 8:42:22 PM

Quote:
I don't download that much stuff.. and I always had a problem trying to find places to download from and stuff. Never really got into it though.
I probably should check it out though.
What are the good sites to go to? piratebay.com or something like that if I remember.

*cough* http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/10/01/the_war_on_game_pirates/ *cough*

Tut tut tut, shame on you, etc etc etc. Or, more pressingly and to the point, the StarForce guys are Russians. Interestingly enough in Russia there is very little piracy of certain videogames, reportedly because game publishers have paid big burly men and their big burly sticks to go and break the legs of anyone who sells their ripped-off games at market stalls (not that much broadband, and so BitTorrent, in those parts.)
December 8, 2005 2:17:22 AM

Bah, nothing compares to DC++ in that realm.

Support the industry though!

Buy the good games, especially the ones that don't sell well but are higher quality.
December 8, 2005 7:42:13 AM

I got a ripped copy of D]I[ glad I did. Heap of shyte got uninstalled after a day.

I download any games I don't normally buy say for example..... AOE3 I downloaded and still haven't played as my interest in that sort of game is limited. Accordingly I believe I don't hurt the industry as I would never buy the game anyway.
December 9, 2005 12:34:00 AM

Yeah, I support any game I like. If I do happen to download a game, it's because I wouldn't have bought it anyway, but I'm curious if it actually is any good.

In the rare occasion that one of those games actually is good, I go out and buy it.

That's right, PIRACY INCREASED THEIR SALES.

Now I can't speak for everyone, and I know I'm probably a minority, but in my experience, the vast majority would never buy anything they pirate anyway, and some people actually buy it because they get a free "demo" of it.

Though personally I try as hard as I can to leech off friends and just borrow games.
December 14, 2005 4:57:02 PM

It was a 12mb download, really old DOS game. I have never downloaded a game a new game.. Doom 3, haven't played it. HL2, haven't played it.

I'll buy the games.

But I couldn't find xcom and I had since lost it.. so I downloaded it. My dad gave them money once for the game.. other than that, I don't go downloading anything like that.

I have no problems paying for a good game.. since most of my games are online games, I have to buy anyhow. :) 
December 29, 2005 6:50:44 PM

I'll let you know how it is, should be arriving in a day or two.

I own aftermath, the prequel to aftershock. It's average at best :( 

I am hoping the addition of more developed base building, some cool upgrade options and more varied enemies will lift this next installment above average, at least.
January 3, 2006 7:47:28 PM

I played the demo and I didn't care for it right off the bat.. maybe I need to give it another shot.

Let me know what you think of it though.
January 9, 2006 12:47:27 AM

Quote:
Tut tut tut, shame on you, etc etc etc. Or, more pressingly and to the point, the StarForce guys are Russians. Interestingly enough in Russia there is very little piracy of certain videogames, reportedly because game publishers have paid big burly men and their big burly sticks to go and break the legs of anyone who sells their ripped-off games at market stalls (not that much broadband, and so BitTorrent, in those parts.)

Actualy, that would be because the local poblishers here realised that the best way to combat piracy was to sell jewel-case legal copies at a little over (~30%) the pirate disk price point. About $10 for new blockbuster games.

The problem kind of went away by itself after that: no one in their right mind buys the pirate versions of legaly available games. (Although availability is a big problem)
!