ASUS p2b motherboard bios update

G

HI

I just bought a 40 gig harddrive to put in my celron 333 machine with a P2B board. It has a 440bx chipset with rev. 1010 of the bios. They do show a new bios rev. 1011 for this board. Does anyone here know if the update to this bios will allow it to accept this drive. I really don't need the upgrade to a new motherboard right now as this one is fine speed wise. I just need more storage space for pics. I am sorry to bother you all but can't seem to find an answer anywhere else and can get no answer from asus via e-mail.

Thanks
James

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
I have a P2B, P400 just put an IBM 40gig HD in a couple of months ago. I downloaded the 1012 BIOS Version maybe a year ago from the ASUS web site. Don't know if the update is required, but it will work.

mickrick

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
I have a P2B-DS board but it has no BIOS chip. If I flash another BIOS chip with an update from Asus's website will it work?

Another thing, somebody told me a while ago that there is an issue with the USB controller on these boards that can be fixed easily by soldering two points on the board, but I need to know which points. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you can flash another BIOS chip. I usually do that by the hot-swap method, I loosen the BIOS of a working board so that it's barely connected, boot the thing, hot-swap BIOS chips to a spare, and flash the spare.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

TRENDING THREADS