sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
My personal opinion-today's games are pushing too much our hardware and too little our imagination. What happened with the real games, those that made us feel like kids imagining all that the graphics wouldn't deliver?
All of the today's games are just some interactive movies. I can tell you(as many of the older gamers can) me, the old games were something good. They even made some people of my generation in my country learn english. Believe me, my location is not the in the third world. And god****it what's with the violence everywhere? Is this a military exercise or what?

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Margins are tight, so publishers only want to fund a relatively sure-fire hit, or else they could be in trouble. It's an issue that has been getting a lot of philosophical gamer types going of late, but the fact is that they have to make money… my philosophy is that if for every nine crappy games they make that sell well, so long as I get my one gem I'll be a happy camper.

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So tell us about your pair of jems.
'll be interesting for me too+)))
Heh, it all depends on what you're into, doesn't it? The Sims, despite having become a real cash cow, was actually one of the ideas that would never have been made if someone in accounting hadn't gone out on a limb and many people consider it a gem.

Maybe Civilization IV, if you're into TBS, though I know how personal "Which" Civ game you prefer can be, so take your pick of the series I suppose.

For online games, again Battlefield is an idea that looked a bit silly before it became a major hit, and whatever about making money off of it now it's still ruddy good fun.

Games like Call of Duty 2 are quality, but they're more of the same stuff that blew us away with Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, so it's all about taste.

You can find plenty of good stuff, but even in the "old" days when perhaps more creativity was encouraged over business sense a ground breaking Half-Life was still a once in a blue moon event.

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
Ya its always about the multi-player and im friggin tired of the same game with the same guns shooting the same people, what should be the best part of the game is the single player which i enjoy most. and Aarons right is all they want is a quick buck hey thats what this world is about right? and im sorry to tell everyone its not gonna change if anything get worse. heh we at thg should create a video game, brilliant...or insane?

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
*thinks for a second*

*pictures THG staff and forumites making a game*

*has TenaciousleyDead taken away in a straightjacket*

Still, if you like the idea then you should look into the mod scene for the games you play, they usually output some interesting stuff indeed.

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
naa im to lazy to do that its to time consumeing itd cut into my.....my being bored time. no i just suggested it jokeingly but im sure some of our brains at thg could come up with something good. the game would probably be about killing terrorists, getting drunk, and getting in womens pants lol.

sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
gahah, why not a game which goal is to create and use a terrorist group. But it should have all the issues, i mean the economical part, the part where you should find people to join that group, and so on, and so on. It can get really complicated. The same way you can create an underground antiterrorist group. Again having the issue to raise money some way and convince people to take part...

riksta

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2005
The good thing about all the crap games that come out today by the big publishers, is engines. A small time game company can always buy an engine such as Source (HL2 awsome game / awsome engine) or Doom 3 (crap game / awsome engine) where all the hard work has been done and just add to it, instead of trying to re-invent the wheel. On the downside, look at the mentality of game programmers / developers. Whose the lead singer, who gets all the quality shmoo, the eye candy boys thats who. You get into the gaming industry to paint pretty pictures and make sure the red or yellow barrels explode and particles bounce correctly, and those stupid rag dolls !!! Take a look at a college / university advert for a gaming course and whats on the cover - PRETTY BLOODY PICTURES. I cannot find one gaming course that offers a subject in good story writing or puzzle creation.

RichPLS

Champion
Ice cold HomeAde fresh squeezed LebonAde; Only $3 per cup or get one for your special friend also; Limited Time Only 2 for $5
Al-Queda Bombers Buy one for $3, Get one Free Coupon; redeemable after only the first Bombing!
Baby Bombers, free firecracker bomb sweater with instructions only $5 with purchase of $3 LebonAde.