Sign in with
Your question

high ping, and then disconnects

Last response: in Video Games
December 16, 2005 11:46:29 PM

hi guys,

I have a 2.8ghz HT + 1gig ram + 9600 ATI 128mb .

its a ok setup that im working with. the problem is that I am running off of a wireless card. I have WinXp sp2. When i start up a game, it runs fine.. i get good ping of low 30s etc. but as i keep playing it jumps up to 60 -> 100 -> 150 -> 300 -> ~ 855 etc..

and the worst part, when it switches from 1 ping to another, i hve this massive lag during which time I cant even movie. I am running on a verizon DSL, using Westell modem (which provides wireless signal for my card). Now even when I run other games, I get the same results. UT2004, CS: Source, etc. If any of you guys have faced similar problems and were able to solve; please let me know.

Thank you.

PS: i cannot move tihs computer into the router room, otherwise I would have done soo long ago :) .

More about : high ping disconnects

December 17, 2005 1:06:58 PM

is there any way some1 else is tapping in to that connection?
December 17, 2005 2:03:05 PM

no its not possible, because if they were then it would be slow from the start.

And I have WPA
Related resources
December 17, 2005 2:13:56 PM

it could be the servers themselves...like new protection etc...for example...i had a problem with a PPoE scan from various game servers when playing RTCW:ET where the server actually scanns your ports... what this does... depending on what kind of anti virus/firewall program u have it actually disables all internet conectivity to and from your pc for a certain amount of time...usualy this setting can be changed in the firewalls' software settings....for me....it used to cut my connection completely for 1 hour....the only way i could fix it...was to either turn off the firewall when i played ET or CS and then run it again afterwards....or dont let the serverlist populate completely
VAC eliminated the need for that scan...or even if the scan still occurs...its steam who does it...not the servers anymore...and as long as steam is allowed to modify files and update itself (firewall settings) then it does not cut my connection anymore

but as for ET...i still have to find a cure for that...
December 17, 2005 4:15:55 PM

Check your firewall and router and that the needed ports are open.
December 17, 2005 4:41:44 PM

which ports am i looking for? thats the question?

and should i do a port forward to my computer??
December 18, 2005 12:39:26 PM

each games readme should tell u in the multiplayer section
December 18, 2005 1:19:58 PM

alright ill look into it.

also in EA forums, they were saying that BF2 in general is a bich when you play on encrypted wireless networks. i do not know how true that is, because I am having the issue with all of the games.

but fortunately my *nix distro tor*s never get any problems.
December 19, 2005 5:50:53 AM

Quote:
hi guys,

I have a 2.8ghz HT + 1gig ram + 9600 ATI 128mb .

its a ok setup that im working with. the problem is that I am running off of a wireless card. I have WinXp sp2. When i start up a game, it runs fine.. i get good ping of low 30s etc. but as i keep playing it jumps up to 60 -> 100 -> 150 -> 300 -> ~ 855 etc..

and the worst part, when it switches from 1 ping to another, i hve this massive lag during which time I cant even movie. I am running on a verizon DSL, using Westell modem (which provides wireless signal for my card). Now even when I run other games, I get the same results. UT2004, CS: Source, etc. If any of you guys have faced similar problems and were able to solve; please let me know.

Thank you.

PS: i cannot move tihs computer into the router room, otherwise I would have done soo long ago :) .

Do your pings ever go down again after a spell of high ping (like from 855 back to 300)?

Usually with wireless connections, your connection starts out at the highest possible rate, and then is scaled back to the rate that can be sustained given the signal strength.

If you have frequent losses of signal (completely gone for a short time) and then it comes back, then the algorithm that tries to optimize your connection speed will switch protocols down, and continues to do so until it can keep up a decent transfer rate for a prolongued period of time.

Now I don't know why you would get those drops of signal but I have noticed similar behavior in my setup at times. If you can handle the packet loss (very annoying in itself, probably makes online gaming impossible) then you could just set a fixed protocol at the speed your internet provider is supporting (like 6 Mb for example). At least you will not experience the further downscaling of your wireless connection speed but it won't solve why you have frequent loss of signal. Try to experiment where you have the best connection.
December 20, 2005 3:06:26 AM

hey BIG MAC -> the problem I am having with it is not unfortunately how you describing it. As i said, it would start off really low (good ping 15-70) and then after 10 min, or less it would start climbing up and up and up; and eventually reach soo high that either I cant play anymore cuz its frozen or i get kicked out because of high ping. it never comes back down again.

i tried to movie it to a different room, but that did not help. i really cant figure out what to do. there is no problem though, if i am listning to streaming music, or downloading something (regular browser dls and/or bittorrent dl's). I am sure they work on different principles, but I am having difficulty understanding why its happening like htis.

thanks
December 20, 2005 5:57:02 AM

Mmm, so it's some kind of software problem, how you're describing it. Never heard of it before. I'll see if I can dig something up if I have the time.

If you're really desperate, I'd recommend a clean windows reinstall.
December 20, 2005 12:00:32 PM

lol, wish i could do a clean install but I have my vb work omn htere. it would take forever to backup the project and then recompile it up on the new setup. :)  hehe i guess ill jut have to wait a while; or atleast if someone has an idea of what happened.

thanks for your help by the way!!
!