Outlook express, strange things afoot

agcheavin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
Whenever I add a new address to my outlook express address book, I get a file placed on my destktop, no name or extension just the ~ symbol under it. I can only open it by sellecting notepad, and apart from being 176 K in size is mostly empty with bits of code...however, amongst it all are all the address's in my address book. It only happens when I add a new name.

Running winXP pro, SP1, all updates and patch's. Anti virus is uptodate and scan's clean.

Gary

<font color=red>AMD 2700 XP<font color=red>
<font color=red>Gecube 9800 pro Extreme<font color=red>
<font color=blue>ASUS A7N8X deluxe<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>1024 meg Dual Channel DDR 3200<font color=blue>

agcheavin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
solved....

After installing an OE update, you may discover a file named just "~" on your desktop or some other location on your hard drive. This is an automatic backup copy of the Windows Address Book (WAB) used by OE. The file has always been created automatically by OE and saved in the same folder as the *.wab file itself, with a name like <username>.wa~. A bug in an update causes the copy to be made in the wrong location and with a truncated name. You can simply rename it to *.wab and then double-click it to see that it is indeed a copy of your address book. The OE team at MS is aware of this bug and hope to include the fix in a future update.

Gary

<font color=red>AMD 2700 XP<font color=red>
<font color=red>Gecube 9800 pro Extreme<font color=red>
<font color=blue>ASUS A7N8X deluxe<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>1024 meg Dual Channel DDR 3200<font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS