BUG: MSN Messenger OR Windows Media Player woes :(

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player,microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

I got a problem. This concerns both MSN Messenger & Windows Media Player.

I like cleaning out my 'C:\Documents and Settings' folder by deleting
useless files such as 'ntuser.ini', 'desktop.ini', etc. There are however
some files I can't delete such as those READ-ONLY files. Then there's my
QuickLaunch and Favorites I do not touch ;)

Now I am aware that MSN Messenger 7.0 creates and uses:

C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger

QUERY 1:

This is were it stores all your winks ;) I get sent different winks from
friends all the time. Is there a way to use their winks as I can't seem to
find their ones. Unless it's stored in a different temporary folder.

PROBLEM 1:

I tested deleting this MSN Messenger folder (C:\Documents and
Settings\Kevin\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger). Rebooted and found
MSN Messenger to recover and work perfectly. It's like it's first time
but that's like 2 seconds work. Plus I keep my History folder stored in a
different partition so that's fine. And MSN Messenger nicely remembers the
path to my History folder stored on the other partition.

The problem is that I've now lost Windows Media Player connectivity. Turn on
"What I'm Listening To" doesn't work anymore :S. I remember there was a
second option in Windows Media Player to use MSN Messenger but it's not
there anymore :(
3 answers Last reply
More about messenger windows media player woes
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player,microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Greetings Kevin,

    Answer 1:
    The winks are stored here, but what your friends use isn't stored unless you use the "Get
    this wink" option when they use it.

    Answer 2:
    I assume then that if you open up Windows Media Player, click the Tools menu, then Options,
    then Plug-ins tab, and look under the Background category that MSN Messenger Music Plugin is
    not there? If so, simply click the 'Add' button in that dialog, navigate to the \Program
    Files\MSN Messenger folder, and choose the psmsong.dll file. The Messenger plugin should now
    appear so you can check it.
    Jonathan Kay
    Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
    Associate Expert

    "Kevin C." <kevingpo@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I got a problem. This concerns both MSN Messenger & Windows Media Player.
    >
    > I like cleaning out my 'C:\Documents and Settings' folder by deleting useless files such as
    > 'ntuser.ini', 'desktop.ini', etc. There are however some files I can't delete such as those
    > READ-ONLY files. Then there's my QuickLaunch and Favorites I do not touch ;)
    >
    > Now I am aware that MSN Messenger 7.0 creates and uses:
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger
    >
    > QUERY 1:
    >
    > This is were it stores all your winks ;) I get sent different winks from friends all the
    > time. Is there a way to use their winks as I can't seem to find their ones. Unless it's
    > stored in a different temporary folder.
    >
    > PROBLEM 1:
    >
    > I tested deleting this MSN Messenger folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\Application
    > Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger). Rebooted and found MSN Messenger to recover and work
    > perfectly. It's like it's first time loading MSN Messenger 7.0 again. Sure I have to type
    > in my MSN login again, but that's like 2 seconds work. Plus I keep my History folder stored
    > in a different partition so that's fine. And MSN Messenger nicely remembers the path to my
    > History folder stored on the other partition.
    >
    > The problem is that I've now lost Windows Media Player connectivity. Turn on "What I'm
    > Listening To" doesn't work anymore :S. I remember there was a second option in Windows
    > Media Player to use MSN Messenger but it's not there anymore :(

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player,microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    <lol> ntuser.ini and desktop.ini are system files that are recreated each
    time you reboot. You accomplish nothing by deleting them.

    Modem Ani

    "Kevin C." <kevingpo@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I got a problem. This concerns both MSN Messenger & Windows Media Player.
    >
    > I like cleaning out my 'C:\Documents and Settings' folder by deleting
    > useless files such as 'ntuser.ini', 'desktop.ini', etc. There are however
    > some files I can't delete such as those READ-ONLY files. Then there's my
    > QuickLaunch and Favorites I do not touch ;)
    >
    > Now I am aware that MSN Messenger 7.0 creates and uses:
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger
    >
    > QUERY 1:
    >
    > This is were it stores all your winks ;) I get sent different winks from
    > friends all the time. Is there a way to use their winks as I can't seem to
    > find their ones. Unless it's stored in a different temporary folder.
    >
    > PROBLEM 1:
    >
    > I tested deleting this MSN Messenger folder (C:\Documents and
    > Settings\Kevin\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger). Rebooted and
    found
    > MSN Messenger to recover and work perfectly. It's like it's first time
    again,
    > but that's like 2 seconds work. Plus I keep my History folder stored in a
    > different partition so that's fine. And MSN Messenger nicely remembers the
    > path to my History folder stored on the other partition.
    >
    > The problem is that I've now lost Windows Media Player connectivity. Turn
    on
    > "What I'm Listening To" doesn't work anymore :S. I remember there was a
    > second option in Windows Media Player to use MSN Messenger but it's not
    > there anymore :(

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player,microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    > <lol> ntuser.ini and desktop.ini are system files that are recreated each
    > time you reboot. You accomplish nothing by deleting them.

    What use are they anyway? Just one line files. I use a script now that on
    every bootup deletes all ntuser.ini and desktop.ini files recursively.

Microsoft MSN Messenger Media Player Windows XP