Beowulf

Distinguished
May 29, 2004
say...i was wondering if any of you guys would know anything of thse..."network chokes"

i keep getting them when i play online games, for example...i realized while playing CS when i am checking the netgraph that i get no packet loss but i get these chokes....i get along of packets in..(aprox 200- 250) and only about 15 - 20 out....not sure if this is a symptom of these nC but... basically what happends is...my ping is resonable --- (adsl ... pinging 50 - 60 standard in cs for US servers...keep in mind i am in Tor. canada) --- as long as i am spectating or watching some1 else play... (as i am not sending any packets out...because i do not interact in the game) but as soon as i join... and start moving around... (pressing keys sends interactions over to the server) i start pinping 400 - 500...which causes connection loss and/or kicking from servers...

now...my pc is clean...and when i say clean i mean clean as in... i got no spyware....no virs...nothing...i got pretty expensive and hard to get corporate security soft...plus updated version of win and linux...so...thats not an issue for sure....

i noticed the lag in CS, AAO, and Q3 as i play these alot...so, i am not sure what to do...

i called my isp...they did not even know what a network choke is, i asked other techies but the things they proposed i eliminated instantly...security wise and isp help....

hence me posting here...i should have done this way b4 any of the others...as thg holds the brightest minds in one place....but here i am ...

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Check your software firewall and router have the needed ports open.

For css etc you can increase the rates also, but I can't remember the commands or have any links, go to steam forums and run a search under choke/loss/cl_updaterate/cl_rate and stuff like that.

I can't play online using zonealarm, it gives me net choke even with the ports open. I use BlackIce with the ports open when I need to play online.

Beowulf

Distinguished
May 29, 2004
i take my firewalls down....antivirus too....i hook up my modem straight to my mobo...(i got a nic as well...tried on that as well...thinking it might be the mobo port)

it still give the same problem...

problem is...it used to be good...

i used to get 2.4mb connection....then they had to move one of their relay stations...so they moved a bit further away....my connection dropped to 1.7 -- still acceptable...i mean pings were low...~50 -- but now im getting as low as 600k....this is ridiculous...

isp said...its still within parameters...as in...its the lowest they still allow...there probably is lower....i don't know why they call it adsl if its more like dialup

any other ideas?