HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
my dads computer has this motherboard...
i KNOW it is asus, but i cant find it on their site, and the only sites i can find about it are in russian.
but this computer is a HP 6545C, with a celeron 500.
but i am thinking about upgrading it for him...and MIGHT be able to get a p3 to put in there.
i have seen some places that say it can take a p3 800e.
someplace else said it could take a 1133mhz p3
I AM CONFUSED.
and i would also like to know if i would have any probs running xp on this thing, because hps site has a warning on it...about running xp on it.
i mean, i know it would be better to swap out everything on my dads comp and start fresh, but i am a college student, and therefore have a lack of cash at the moment...
so if i could get a p3 for this thing, it would rock.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I think you're limited by the multipler. I think the fastest it goes is 5x? Not totally sure. Thats a Slot 1 right? If so, you could get a slotket which has higher multiplier's on it.

AFA XP, I think the only problem was with the AMR modem? And supposedly you can use the 2K drivers if it's still not supported under XP.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well, thing is, this thing is a socket 370...
and i think that the multiplier in the bios goes up past 5x.
and there is a jumper on the board that lets it run at 100mhz fsb.
but anyways, isnt the multiplier set by the cpu in this case?
i have tried changing the multiplier on this thing, but it doesnt work...and i am pretty sure that intel locked them.

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well, thing is, this thing is a socket 370...
and i think that the multiplier in the bios goes up past 5x.
and there is a jumper on the board that lets it run at 100mhz fsb.
but anyways, isnt the multiplier set by the cpu in this case?
i have tried changing the multiplier on this thing, but it doesnt work...and i am pretty sure that intel locked them.
oh, and as for the winxp thing, there is no AMR....
they just tossed some crappy MODEM/SOUND CARD in a pci slot.
the only expansion slots it has are three pci slots....two of which work.
<A HREF="http://www.hp.com/cposupport/personal_computing/support_doc/bph05159.html#P3_196" target="_new">http://www.hp.com/cposupport/personal_computing/support_doc/bph05159.html#P3_196</A>
that is the motherboard.

-DAvid

hmmm any coppermine cpu might work on that. I doubt it'll recognize a tullatin though. I think a p3 would go up to what, 900mhz?

*shrugs*

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hmm..it should..and it would be much nicer than what he has in there now.
because that celeron just aint cuttin it anymore...66mhz fsb?!??@?@?@?
screw that.

-DAvid

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Think about this-the multiplier is already at 7.5x66.6, so you do have higher multiplier support in BIOS (besides, there were only a few boards made with such poor BIOS as to prevent a higher muliplier lock CPU form booting). So you can support at least a PIII 750. But probably anything up to the PIII 850 will work. In fact, I had one that came with a PIII 667 which is 133MHz FSB, which means that your motherboard should support a PIII 1000EB (7.5x133)

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hmmm..you had one of these computers from HP? or this motherboard?
i mean, heck, it would be nice to put a 1000 in here....sheesh!
and a 133fsb cpu will work at 100 mhz....but will it be the same clock speed? like will it automatically adjust?
because there is pc-100 ram in there right now.
even a p3850 would be a MASSIVE improvement.

-DAvid

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I had an abused HP with that mobo, mofo (J/K on the mofo)! Some guy had this HP, the fat kind with 7 expansion slots but only an mATX board. Anyway, you know all those programs that autoload on HP's and make them slow? Well, he got tired of the thing locking up and so forth, so he ripped it (literally) apart and gave me all the pieces except the CPU and drives. So I reassembled it. Originally it had a PIII 667, I put in a Celeron 633 and sold it (after repairing the case and adding some drives). So yes, it was an HP version of the board.

That board supported a PIII 1000EB, and it was an MEW-VM. It originally had an "EB" processor in the PIII 667EB. So that's how I know it supports 133MHz FSB.

I don't know if the BIOS was different than yours, you may need a newer BIOS. Probably not.

If you can find an 850EB significantly cheaper than the 1000EB, go for it. Even though the 1000EB has the advantage of 133MHz CPU to SDRAM transfers, the onboard video of this board and lack of AGP slot will limit your joy, even with the best of processors.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well the thing is, he uses it sometimes to do his work, like photoshop, and flash...
and i hate watching him do it on a slow computer....
but i dont have the cash to get a whole new computer for him...and he doesnt see the need.
i am thinking that if i put in a new processor, and he notices a difference, then he might be more inclined to purchase a new setup, and let me build it for him this time, so he doesnt have to deal with this BS.
that little case is wayy to small for anything.
have to take the psu out to get at the cpu, have to take the psu and the floppy to get at the ram, and try putting a new motherboard in there? HAHA!
oh well.
where would i get a new bios for this board..i cant find CRAP for it..everything is in russian, and HP..HAHA..they dont have even a listing for the cpus that this thing will support.
i cant believe how they are allowed to build such crap....
i mean, sure, if you are willing to pay an arm and a leg, you can get a decent pre-built computer...but for what my dad paid for this thing, even though it was like a few years back, it was not really worth it.
and yeah....all that crap that HP installs got my dad a bit pissed too..
because it was too much for that computer to handle.
and when that computer had something wrong once, i think it was a virus or something...cant remember, but i had to replace some files for windows.
but i had to eventually do a reinstall.
i think that they really integrate their HP proprietary stuff....
which sucks.
and then there are the "free" "programs" which are really just previews, and dont help much at all.

-DAvid

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You would have to get any new BIOS from HP, as Asus BIOS won't work (HP uses Phoenix-Ewwwwwwwwwwwww). Such stuff is available on HP's site, but you REALLY have to look HARD to find it. If there is no BIOS updates available, there was probably only 1 BIOS and no need to update to support 133FSB!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hmm..alright...sounds like a plan.
but do you think this would be enough of an increase in performance for him to maybe think about upgrading sometime in the near future? or at least be noticeable so that he would have a better computing experience?
i mean, i think it would be, but before i go out and spend the money, i would want to have some words of confidence! :smile:

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
damn, that would rock..but yeah...probably a bit of a trip! :frown:
oh well.
maybe i can get my dads friend to take his processor out and try it in there, but he might not do it because he is paranoid about his computer...like really paranoid. :smile:

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hmm....
yeah...
too bad i dont know anyone around here that is into computers...
most people think i am crazy for the stuff i do to my computers.
but who knows, maybe i will meet some crazy people who like to screw around with computers and try out components and so forth.
too bad asus doesnt list this motherboard on their site...
i am assuming that is because it was bought by HP...

-DAvid

TRENDING THREADS