Old Zip drive in new computer for 73 year old mother

Would a modern XP machine (I am thinking Dimension
5100) recognize and install drivers for a 100 meg
zip drive?

Would I need to download drivers from anywhere?

The zip drive is quite old, originally
coming in a Dimension XPS R-400, but has been living
in a newer XP box.

These fit in a 3.5 slot I believe, is that correct?

If this is not feasible, I guess I could try putting
in her old hard drive and getting her documents from
there, and switching her to USB Jump Drives, that should
be close to the UI of the zip drives.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    I don't believe you'll have any trouble - XP should recognize and install
    drivers for the Zip drive. Hey, it's not that old.

    A suggestion: As a storage medium, the Zip disc is now falling more and more
    out of the mainstream. CDs and DVDs are the way to go, so you might consider
    transferring what you have on Zip discs to either of those.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    <ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message

    > Would a modern XP machine (I am thinking Dimension
    > 5100) recognize and install drivers for a 100 meg
    > zip drive?
    >
    > Would I need to download drivers from anywhere?
    >
    > The zip drive is quite old, originally
    > coming in a Dimension XPS R-400, but has been living
    > in a newer XP box.
    >
    > These fit in a 3.5 slot I believe, is that correct?
    >
    > If this is not feasible, I guess I could try putting
    > in her old hard drive and getting her documents from
    > there, and switching her to USB Jump Drives, that should
    > be close to the UI of the zip drives.
    >

    > --
    > Andrew Hall
    > (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    Ben> Just as others have stated, I would discourage long-term use of ZIP cartridges.
    Ben> They have low capacity nowadays, and reliability of the drives has been none too
    Ben> hot either.

    Ben> If your goal is to simply get her data onto the new PC, perhaps the easiest way
    Ben> is to get external USB case which houses 3.5" drives. Mount the drive in the
    Ben> case, plug it in, and go. The old drive has such low capacity as to be fairly
    Ben> useless on a modern computer... Ben Myers

    I will probably convert her to jump drives.

    She is quite ill (cancer), and very stressed out.
    I want to have things change as little as possible
    for her.

    Thanks to all of you, this sounds as if it will work,
    assuming the guy that is trying to fix her current
    PC fails. (It would not make post after a memory
    swap, even when the old memory was replaced --- something
    probably got fried, they have swapped out all the parts
    with no luck so far).

    --

    > Ben> Just as others have stated, I would discourage long-term use of ZIP
    > cartridges.
    > Ben> They have low capacity nowadays, and reliability of the drives has
    > been none too
    > Ben> hot either.
    >
    > Ben> If your goal is to simply get her data onto the new PC, perhaps the
    > easiest way
    > Ben> is to get external USB case which houses 3.5" drives. Mount the
    > drive in the
    > Ben> case, plug it in, and go. The old drive has such low capacity as
    > to be fairly
    > Ben> useless on a modern computer... Ben Myers
    >
    > I will probably convert her to jump drives.
    >
    > She is quite ill (cancer), and very stressed out.
    > I want to have things change as little as possible
    > for her.

    Andrew,

    Best to you and your mom. I understand how "keeping things the same" and
    minimizing change is a desirable thing. The 5100 (I think) has only (1) IDE
    channel, and that's IDE 2 for the optical drives.

    It will work but you may have to replace the Dell OEM IDE2 cable so that the
    "slave" connect will reach the bay in which the Zip will be located.

    Stew

    Can't imagine why an IDE Zip drive wouldn't work. I would start to worry
    about the media soon as it may be pretty old.

    Tom
    <ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message

    > Would a modern XP machine (I am thinking Dimension
    > 5100) recognize and install drivers for a 100 meg
    > zip drive?
    >
    > Would I need to download drivers from anywhere?
    >
    > The zip drive is quite old, originally
    > coming in a Dimension XPS R-400, but has been living
    > in a newer XP box.
    >
    > These fit in a 3.5 slot I believe, is that correct?
    >
    > If this is not feasible, I guess I could try putting
    > in her old hard drive and getting her documents from
    > there, and switching her to USB Jump Drives, that should
    > be close to the UI of the zip drives.
    >

    > --
    > Andrew Hall
    > (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    > If this is not feasible, I guess I could try putting
    > in her old hard drive and getting her documents from
    > there, and switching her to USB Jump Drives, that should
    > be close to the UI of the zip drives.

    How about just picking up the cheapest HD you can find, and throwing it
    into an external caddy ?

    --
    Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
    **** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and "@btinternet.com" ****

    it sounds as if you currently have an internally mounted zip drive in a
    dimension rxxx machine that you would like to use in a current model dell.
    this would work however there are some issues.... first, how to mount the
    3.5" drive in the current dimension case is an issue. there is a bay for a
    3.5" drive in the dimension 2400, 3000, 4600, and 4700 but it requires a
    bracket that is only available with the purchase of the 3.5" floppy drive.
    an alternative is to obtain a 5.25" bracket adapter for a 3.5" form factor
    drive. this allows you to mount the 3.5" zip drive in a cage that then will
    fit the 5.25" type form factor. the above mentioned machines have two 5.25"
    external bays that it could be mounted into. however, if you purchase the
    machine with two cd drives then you will have to eliminate one to provide
    space for the zip. next, you will have to connect it internally to the ide
    cable. on the 2400, 3000 and 4600 both the hard disk and the cd drives are
    connected to ide type cables. on the 4700 only the cd drives are connected
    to an ide cable (the hard drives use a different interface). so there can
    only be two ide devices in the 4700 and so you can only have one cd drive if
    you intend to connect the zip to the other possible spot. finally, if you
    don't place the zip in a 5.25" cage and mound it next to the cd drive then
    you will not likely be able to cable both a cd and the zip for data. i
    suggest that you simply purchase an external usb zip 100 for $35 or a
    external usb zip 250 drive for $49 from the iomega.com outlet and not bother
    with the internal drive. the zip 250 will read/write the older zip 100
    disks but does it slower than the zip 100 drive would. of course the zip
    250 can also read/write zip 250 disks whereas the zip 100 can not. there is
    also a zip 750 but i have no idea if it is backwards compatible with the 100
    or 250... and given the fact that it lacks any popularity and that cdrw can
    store 700mb why bother. good luck.

    > it sounds as if you currently have an internally mounted zip drive in a
    > dimension rxxx machine that you would like to use in a current model dell.
    > this would work however there are some issues.... first, how to mount the
    > 3.5" drive in the current dimension case is an issue. there is a bay for
    > a 3.5" drive in the dimension 2400, 3000, 4600, and 4700 but it requires a
    > bracket that is only available with the purchase of the 3.5" floppy drive.
    > an alternative is to obtain a 5.25" bracket adapter for a 3.5" form factor
    > drive. this allows you to mount the 3.5" zip drive in a cage that then
    > will fit the 5.25" type form factor. the above mentioned machines have
    > two 5.25" external bays that it could be mounted into. however, if you
    > purchase the machine with two cd drives then you will have to eliminate
    > one to provide space for the zip. next, you will have to connect it
    > internally to the ide cable. on the 2400, 3000 and 4600 both the hard
    > disk and the cd drives are connected to ide type cables. on the 4700 only
    > the cd drives are connected to an ide cable (the hard drives use a
    > different interface). so there can only be two ide devices in the 4700
    > and so you can only have one cd drive if you intend to connect the zip to
    > the other possible spot. finally, if you don't place the zip in a 5.25"
    > cage and mound it next to the cd drive then you will not likely be able to
    > cable both a cd and the zip for data. i suggest that you simply purchase
    > an external usb zip 100 for $35 or a external usb zip 250 drive for $49
    > from the iomega.com outlet and not bother with the internal drive. the
    > zip 250 will read/write the older zip 100 disks but does it slower than
    > the zip 100 drive would. of course the zip 250 can also read/write zip
    > 250 disks whereas the zip 100 can not. there is also a zip 750 but i have
    > no idea if it is backwards compatible with the 100 or 250... and given the
    > fact that it lacks any popularity and that cdrw can store 700mb why
    > bother. good luck.

    An external USB Zip, either new or used - might indeed be the best/easiest
    answer. I didn't consider that because the drives (like the discs
    themselves) are pricey for their limited capacity.

    Stew

    >> ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
    news> kpg4q8qugw0.fsf@panix2.panix.com...

    Ben> Just as others have stated, I would discourage long-term use of ZIP
    >> cartridges.
    Ben> They have low capacity nowadays, and reliability of the drives has
    >> been none too
    Ben> hot either.
    >>
    Ben> If your goal is to simply get her data onto the new PC, perhaps the
    >> easiest way
    Ben> is to get external USB case which houses 3.5" drives. Mount the
    >> drive in the
    Ben> case, plug it in, and go. The old drive has such low capacity as
    >> to be fairly
    Ben> useless on a modern computer... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> I will probably convert her to jump drives.
    >>
    >> She is quite ill (cancer), and very stressed out.
    >> I want to have things change as little as possible
    >> for her.
    >>

    S> Andrew,

    S> Best to you and your mom. I understand how "keeping things the same" and
    S> minimizing change is a desirable thing. The 5100 (I think) has only (1) IDE
    S> channel, and that's IDE 2 for the optical drives.

    S> It will work but you may have to replace the Dell OEM IDE2 cable so that the
    S> "slave" connect will reach the bay in which the Zip will be located.

    Thanks all.

    I think it will be fine to switch her to jump drives for
    backing up her documents, so the main reason for the zip
    drive is temporary, to get her documents over to the new
    computer.

    A better way might be to temporarily install the old hard
    drive --- would that hook up to the IDE2? Or should I buy
    an IDE USB enclosure for that?

    Thanks again,

    --
    Andrew Hall
    (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    FYI, the 750MB ZIP is not compatible with the 100 and the 250. I agree
    completely that an external USB ZIP drive would be the best interim approach,
    with the long-term goal of getting rid of the ZIP cartridges... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 04:12:31 GMT, "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net>
    wrote:

    >it sounds as if you currently have an internally mounted zip drive in a
    >dimension rxxx machine that you would like to use in a current model dell.
    >this would work however there are some issues.... first, how to mount the
    >3.5" drive in the current dimension case is an issue. there is a bay for a
    >3.5" drive in the dimension 2400, 3000, 4600, and 4700 but it requires a
    >bracket that is only available with the purchase of the 3.5" floppy drive.
    >an alternative is to obtain a 5.25" bracket adapter for a 3.5" form factor
    >drive. this allows you to mount the 3.5" zip drive in a cage that then will
    >fit the 5.25" type form factor. the above mentioned machines have two 5.25"
    >external bays that it could be mounted into. however, if you purchase the
    >machine with two cd drives then you will have to eliminate one to provide
    >space for the zip. next, you will have to connect it internally to the ide
    >cable. on the 2400, 3000 and 4600 both the hard disk and the cd drives are
    >connected to ide type cables. on the 4700 only the cd drives are connected
    >to an ide cable (the hard drives use a different interface). so there can
    >only be two ide devices in the 4700 and so you can only have one cd drive if
    >you intend to connect the zip to the other possible spot. finally, if you
    >don't place the zip in a 5.25" cage and mound it next to the cd drive then
    >you will not likely be able to cable both a cd and the zip for data. i
    >suggest that you simply purchase an external usb zip 100 for $35 or a
    >external usb zip 250 drive for $49 from the iomega.com outlet and not bother
    >with the internal drive. the zip 250 will read/write the older zip 100
    >disks but does it slower than the zip 100 drive would. of course the zip
    >250 can also read/write zip 250 disks whereas the zip 100 can not. there is
    >also a zip 750 but i have no idea if it is backwards compatible with the 100
    >or 250... and given the fact that it lacks any popularity and that cdrw can
    >store 700mb why bother. good luck.
    >

    ><ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Would a modern XP machine (I am thinking Dimension
    >> 5100) recognize and install drivers for a 100 meg
    >> zip drive?
    >>
    >> Would I need to download drivers from anywhere?
    >>
    >> The zip drive is quite old, originally
    >> coming in a Dimension XPS R-400, but has been living
    >> in a newer XP box.
    >>
    >> These fit in a 3.5 slot I believe, is that correct?
    >>
    >> If this is not feasible, I guess I could try putting
    >> in her old hard drive and getting her documents from
    >> there, and switching her to USB Jump Drives, that should
    >> be close to the UI of the zip drives.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Andrew Hall
    >> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    As previously stated, better to buy a USB enclosure for an older low-capacity
    3.5" drive, move all the data onto the new hard drive, and put the USB enclosure
    and old drive aside for a rainly day.

    You do not want to create added the confusion from having a second drive on the
    system... Ben Myers

    On 13 Sep 2005 09:00:32 -0400, <ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote:

    > >> ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
    > news> kpg4q8qugw0.fsf@panix2.panix.com...
    > >>
    > Ben> Just as others have stated, I would discourage long-term use of ZIP
    > >> cartridges.
    > Ben> They have low capacity nowadays, and reliability of the drives has
    > >> been none too
    > Ben> hot either.
    > >>
    > Ben> If your goal is to simply get her data onto the new PC, perhaps the
    > >> easiest way
    > Ben> is to get external USB case which houses 3.5" drives. Mount the
    > >> drive in the
    > Ben> case, plug it in, and go. The old drive has such low capacity as
    > >> to be fairly
    > Ben> useless on a modern computer... Ben Myers
    > >>
    > >> I will probably convert her to jump drives.
    > >>
    > >> She is quite ill (cancer), and very stressed out.
    > >> I want to have things change as little as possible
    > >> for her.
    > >>

    > S> Andrew,
    >
    > S> Best to you and your mom. I understand how "keeping things the same" and
    > S> minimizing change is a desirable thing. The 5100 (I think) has only (1) IDE
    > S> channel, and that's IDE 2 for the optical drives.
    >
    > S> It will work but you may have to replace the Dell OEM IDE2 cable so that the
    > S> "slave" connect will reach the bay in which the Zip will be located.
    >

    >Thanks all.
    >
    >I think it will be fine to switch her to jump drives for
    >backing up her documents, so the main reason for the zip
    >drive is temporary, to get her documents over to the new
    >computer.
    >
    >A better way might be to temporarily install the old hard
    >drive --- would that hook up to the IDE2? Or should I buy
    >an IDE USB enclosure for that?
    >
    >Thanks again,
    >

    >--
    >Andrew Hall
    >(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

Dell Zip Disk Windows XP Computers