NetMeeting Crash on Windows XP SP1 laptop

I have one laptop that when I launch NetMeeting, it flashes a black windows
and then NetMeeting will start up. I am able to call another partner.
However, the other partner shares the desktop to this laptop, the laptop will
not see the shared window. It would be either crashes Windows or gives me an
application error. I will not be able to connect to the other partner unless
I do a reboot.

There is no firewall enable and the machine runs fine with all other
programs instead.

I am going to upgrade the laptop to SP2. However, does NetMeeting using any
hardware device that would give me the problem above.

THanks
Che

On Thu, 5 May 2005 05:51:02 -0700, Che wrote:

> I have one laptop that when I launch NetMeeting, it flashes a black windows
> and then NetMeeting will start up. I am able to call another partner.
> However, the other partner shares the desktop to this laptop, the laptop will
> not see the shared window. It would be either crashes Windows or gives me an
> application error. I will not be able to connect to the other partner unless
> I do a reboot.
>
> There is no firewall enable and the machine runs fine with all other
> programs instead.
>
> I am going to upgrade the laptop to SP2. However, does NetMeeting using any
> hardware device that would give me the problem above.

The "flash" is normal -- whether it is a black flash or just a screen
repaint is a function of the graphics drivers in the computer. It is a side
effect of NM initializing the Directx system as part of its startup and
shutdown I believe.

The inability to share and crashing is not normal though. I don't know what
could be causing that -- do both sides have the latest graphics drivers for
their devices?

You say you get an "Application Error" - is there any more information in
the Application Error message - what does the Event Log say?

--
Brian Sullivan (MVP)
Meeting by Wire ( www.meetingbywire.com)

WHen it rebooted, it created the following log in the event log.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000004e
(0x00000007, 0x00001c7f, 0x00000002, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in:
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini050405-01.dmp.

Do you if I update the video drive might help?

Thanks
Che

On Thu, 5 May 2005 06:36:05 -0700, Che wrote:

> WHen it rebooted, it created the following log in the event log.
>
> The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000004e
> (0x00000007, 0x00001c7f, 0x00000002, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in:
> C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini050405-01.dmp.
>
> Do you if I update the video drive might help?

If there is a later driver -- yes it might help.

--
Brian Sullivan (MVP)
Meeting by Wire ( www.meetingbywire.com)

IS NETMEETIMG PLAY WHIT CABLE MODEN

"Brian Sullivan MVP" wrote:

> On Thu, 5 May 2005 06:36:05 -0700, Che wrote:
>
> > WHen it rebooted, it created the following log in the event log.
> >
> > The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000004e
> > (0x00000007, 0x00001c7f, 0x00000002, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in:
> > C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini050405-01.dmp.
> >
> > Do you if I update the video drive might help?
> >
> If there is a later driver -- yes it might help.
>

> --
> Brian Sullivan (MVP)
> Meeting by Wire ( www.meetingbywire.com)

Hi,

Netmeeting should work with any TCP/IP connection.
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
Associate Expert

"NEO954" <NEO954@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> IS NETMEETIMG PLAY WHIT CABLE MODEN
>
> "Brian Sullivan MVP" wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 5 May 2005 06:36:05 -0700, Che wrote:
>>
>> > WHen it rebooted, it created the following log in the event log.
>> >
>> > The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000004e
>> > (0x00000007, 0x00001c7f, 0x00000002, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in:
>> > C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini050405-01.dmp.
>> >
>> > Do you if I update the video drive might help?
>> >
>> If there is a later driver -- yes it might help.
>>

>> --
>> Brian Sullivan (MVP)
>> Meeting by Wire ( www.meetingbywire.com)

TRENDING THREADS