MSN Messenger 7.0.0813 Released - Yes, fixes!

May 6, 2005 3:10:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Greetings all,

You can find build 7.0.0813 at http://messenger.msn.com/Download now, which includes the
following files (Content from the Messenger support Blog:
http://spaces.msn.com/members/messenger-support/Blog/cn...!1pUFzGgzjAV-OT0jri_AqaGw!592.entry)

- MSN Messenger hanging at sign in with certain NATs.
- MSN Messenger won’t allow the transfer of certain file types such as JPG, PNG, MP3, etc. in
some cases.
- Error R6025.
- The Main Window displays the incorrect status for “Always Sign in As” in some cases.
- Crash when starting PhotoSwap.
- Crash at shutdown after blocking a contact.
- "What I'm Listening To" is now more reliable.
- A certain infamous wink has been removed.
- Fixes for Audio invites not working in some cases.
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
Associate Expert
May 6, 2005 11:21:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

>A certain infamous wink has been removed

what was that wink they removed?

> Greetings all,
>
> You can find build 7.0.0813 at http://messenger.msn.com/Download now,
> which includes the following files (Content from the Messenger support
> Blog:
> http://spaces.msn.com/members/messenger-support/Blog/cn...!1pUFzGgzjAV-OT0jri_AqaGw!592.entry)
>
> - MSN Messenger hanging at sign in with certain NATs.
> - MSN Messenger won’t allow the transfer of certain file types such as
> JPG, PNG, MP3, etc. in some cases.
> - Error R6025.
> - The Main Window displays the incorrect status for “Always Sign in As” in
> some cases.
> - Crash when starting PhotoSwap.
> - Crash at shutdown after blocking a contact.
> - "What I'm Listening To" is now more reliable.
> - A certain infamous wink has been removed.
> - Fixes for Audio invites not working in some cases.
> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> Associate Expert

May 6, 2005 11:21:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

:(

Login problem still exists (only for certain users on the same PC) . The
only thing that fixes it for me is to disable the TCP in the Advanced
Connection Option of the MSN Messenger 7.0.0813

I did a complete uninstall of the 7.0.0777 before installing this new
version.

--
Pavel
Related resources

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Hi Pavel,

If you select -anything- in the Advanced Settings dialog, it will "override" the default
automatically detect setting. As such, if you have none checked, it will automatically find
its own way to connect.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23e$XqAgUFHA.1508@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> :(
>
> Login problem still exists (only for certain users on the same PC) . The only thing that
> fixes it for me is to disable the TCP in the Advanced Connection Option of the MSN
> Messenger 7.0.0813
>
> I did a complete uninstall of the 7.0.0777 before installing this new version.
>
> --
> Pavel

May 6, 2005 12:42:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

I am not sure I understand what you said but I did explore this some more
and found that by deleting the contents of "C:\Documents and
Settings\%UserName%\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger" clears the
problem. The reason I started to look was because I knew the problem had to
be on my end because one account would work just fine and another would not,
both on the same PC.
So my conclusion is that if you just update to the new version of the MSN
Messenger, this may not be enough to clear the problem for those people that
already had the problem originally with version 7.0.0777. New installs
should have no problem.

--
Pavel

> Hi Pavel,
>
> If you select -anything- in the Advanced Settings dialog, it will
> "override" the default automatically detect setting. As such, if you have
> none checked, it will automatically find its own way to connect.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> :(
>>
>> Login problem still exists (only for certain users on the same PC) . The
>> only thing that fixes it for me is to disable the TCP in the Advanced
>> Connection Option of the MSN Messenger 7.0.0813
>>
>> I did a complete uninstall of the 7.0.0777 before installing this new
>> version.
>>
>> --
>> Pavel

May 6, 2005 1:12:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

More....

Just logged off and logged back and the same problem again. Deleted the same
data as before and it works again. One interesting thing happened that I
will have to explore some more; the windows messenger loaded for some
strange reason in between and took over. This is Windows Messenger 5.1.
Could it be the cause of all the problems?

--
Pavel

>I am not sure I understand what you said but I did explore this some more
>and found that by deleting the contents of "C:\Documents and
>Settings\%UserName%\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger" clears the
>problem. The reason I started to look was because I knew the problem had to
>be on my end because one account would work just fine and another would
>not, both on the same PC.
> So my conclusion is that if you just update to the new version of the MSN
> Messenger, this may not be enough to clear the problem for those people
> that already had the problem originally with version 7.0.0777. New
> installs should have no problem.
>
> --
> Pavel
>

> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Pavel,
>>
>> If you select -anything- in the Advanced Settings dialog, it will
>> "override" the default automatically detect setting. As such, if you
>> have none checked, it will automatically find its own way to connect.
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
>>
>> "Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> :(
>>>
>>> Login problem still exists (only for certain users on the same PC) . The
>>> only thing that fixes it for me is to disable the TCP in the Advanced
>>> Connection Option of the MSN Messenger 7.0.0813
>>>
>>> I did a complete uninstall of the 7.0.0777 before installing this new
>>> version.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Pavel

Anonymous
May 6, 2005 4:22:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Jonathan, I thought I followed the instructions at that link.
I let it download. Nothing happened. I did what it said,
and when I got back into Messenger, I was still in .0777.
Should I have uninstalled Messenger first? And by the
way, I still have to uncheck "Mute" every time I start a Videoconference.
Bill Lurie

Jonathan Kay [MVP] wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> You can find build 7.0.0813 at http://messenger.msn.com/Download now, which includes the
> following files (Content from the Messenger support Blog:
> http://spaces.msn.com/members/messenger-support/Blog/cn...!1pUFzGgzjAV-OT0jri_AqaGw!592.entry)
>
> - MSN Messenger hanging at sign in with certain NATs.
> - MSN Messenger won’t allow the transfer of certain file types such as JPG, PNG, MP3, etc. in
> some cases.
> - Error R6025.
> - The Main Window displays the incorrect status for “Always Sign in As” in some cases.
> - Crash when starting PhotoSwap.
> - Crash at shutdown after blocking a contact.
> - "What I'm Listening To" is now more reliable.
> - A certain infamous wink has been removed.
> - Fixes for Audio invites not working in some cases.
> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> Associate Expert

May 7, 2005 2:10:10 AM

On Fri, 06 May 2005 12:22:32 -0400, billurie@nospam.org wrote:

> Jonathan, I thought I followed the instructions at that link.
> I let it download. Nothing happened.

That is what I would expect when a browser is set to not allow sites to
install files. Check your browser settings. I know that is what would
happen with Firefox 1.0.3.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Hey,

After leetting it download from that link, did you proceed with the
installation/setup of the latest MSN Messenger? After the installer file has
been downloaded from that website, it should run the Messenger setup
installation automatically.

If you do not get this setup installation automatically, let me suggest that
you redownload and proceed with the setup installation.

--
Jabez Gan
Give me a chance, Let me help you!

<billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
news:o SoGUflUFHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Jonathan, I thought I followed the instructions at that link.
> I let it download. Nothing happened. I did what it said,
> and when I got back into Messenger, I was still in .0777.
> Should I have uninstalled Messenger first? And by the
> way, I still have to uncheck "Mute" every time I start a Videoconference.
> Bill Lurie
>
> Jonathan Kay [MVP] wrote:
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> You can find build 7.0.0813 at http://messenger.msn.com/Download now,
>> which includes the following files (Content from the Messenger support
>> Blog:
>> http://spaces.msn.com/members/messenger-support/Blog/cn...!1pUFzGgzjAV-OT0jri_AqaGw!592.entry)
>>
>> - MSN Messenger hanging at sign in with certain NATs.
>> - MSN Messenger won’t allow the transfer of certain file types such as
>> JPG, PNG, MP3, etc. in some cases.
>> - Error R6025.
>> - The Main Window displays the incorrect status for “Always Sign in As”
>> in some cases.
>> - Crash when starting PhotoSwap.
>> - Crash at shutdown after blocking a contact.
>> - "What I'm Listening To" is now more reliable.
>> - A certain infamous wink has been removed.
>> - Fixes for Audio invites not working in some cases.
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
>> Associate Expert
>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.

May 7, 2005 6:18:33 AM

Jabez Gan wrote:
> Hey,
>
> After leetting it download from that link, did you proceed with the
> installation/setup of the latest MSN Messenger?

It never gave me the opportunity to proceed to installation/setup.

After the installer file has
> been downloaded from that website, it should run the Messenger setup
> installation automatically.

I agre.....the word "should" is a nice thing, but it didn't.

> If you do not get this setup installation automatically, let me suggest that
> you redownload and proceed with the setup installation.

Thanks, Jabez. Tried it twice more. It downloads......and gives
instructions,
Steps 1, 2, 3, 4.......but nothing happens. Nothing to click on to
make it happen. The pictures in (20 and (3) that are supposed
to appear....do not.

Double clicking on the icon in the tray......takes me to Messenger
sign-in....and when I get there, I'm still in old .0777......

What ever happened to the old standard procedure, where they gave
you a file to download and SAVE and then execute?? The new procedure
is wonderful, and automatic..........and defective.

--
William B. Lurie
Anonymous

On Sat, 7 May 2005 02:18:32 +0800, Jabez Gan wrote:

> After the installer file has
> been downloaded from that website, it should run the Messenger setup
> installation automatically.

Actually, it never will run automatically the way my browser is configured.
Automatic installs are the way to catch CoolWebSearch, among other nasties
out there. I would rather save it to disk, then invoke it at my leisure.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint
May 7, 2005 6:18:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

William,

As far as downloading the file and then installing it....just look at the
bottom of the same page where you originally downloaded from and look for
"Download and Install Later"

--
Pavel

<billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
news:o jp3jInUFHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Jabez Gan wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> After leetting it download from that link, did you proceed with the
>> installation/setup of the latest MSN Messenger?
>
> It never gave me the opportunity to proceed to installation/setup.
>
> After the installer file has
>> been downloaded from that website, it should run the Messenger setup
>> installation automatically.
>
> I agre.....the word "should" is a nice thing, but it didn't.
>>
>> If you do not get this setup installation automatically, let me suggest
>> that you redownload and proceed with the setup installation.
>>
> Thanks, Jabez. Tried it twice more. It downloads......and gives
> instructions,
> Steps 1, 2, 3, 4.......but nothing happens. Nothing to click on to
> make it happen. The pictures in (20 and (3) that are supposed
> to appear....do not.
>
> Double clicking on the icon in the tray......takes me to Messenger
> sign-in....and when I get there, I'm still in old .0777......
>
> What ever happened to the old standard procedure, where they gave
> you a file to download and SAVE and then execute?? The new procedure
> is wonderful, and automatic..........and defective.
>
> --
> William B. Lurie
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 6:18:35 AM

Pavel wrote:
> William,
>
> As far as downloading the file and then installing it....just look at the
> bottom of the same page where you originally downloaded from and look for
> "Download and Install Later"

Right, Pavel!!!!
After pleading for a simple download, I went back and found that
alternative.
And downloaded again.
And ran the .EXE file from the folder where I saved it.
And installed it, and checked...and I now have .0813.
Thanks to y'all.

Now if somebody will tell me how to uncheck the 'Mute'
option, and have it stay unchecked, as a default, Ah'd
'Preciate that. I didn't try it in .0813 yet......

Bill Lurie
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 11:09:27 AM

N. Miller wrote:
> On Fri, 06 May 2005 12:22:32 -0400, billurie@nospam.org wrote:
>

>>Jonathan, I thought I followed the instructions at that link.
>>I let it download. Nothing happened.
>

> That is what I would expect when a browser is set to not allow sites to
> install files. Check your browser settings. I know that is what would
> happen with Firefox 1.0.3.

Well, I didn't think my Mozilla blocked that sort of operation,
but I contributed to the problem by not scrolling down all the
way on the MSN announcement page. When I did, I found a non-
prominent link to download-and-save-and-execute-later. In a
later redesign of that page, it might help to make things
clearer for people like myself.