Sign in with
Your question

Did I miss the bus? A7V133 XP1700 and PC100

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 13, 2002 1:21:20 PM

Hi guys,

Well I am a little bit lost. I wanted to upgrade my PC from my old K6-233 with a new mobo Asus A7V133C and an Athlon XP 1700+ CPU (1466Mhz). I thougth that I could use my old PC100 SDRAM by adjusting the frequency jumpers and putting them at 100 MHz. Lost of performance, win of budget : I want to buy some PC133 later.

The mobo gives me 100 to 133 freq. positions, and 5 to 12.5 multiplier. That should have done it. Anyway it doesn't work, I don't even have a video output.

Now I am full of doubts:
- Is the Athlon XP good for this mobo?
- Is it posible to use the PC100 SDRAM with the jumper play?
- Do I need to buy PC133 SDRAM (damn, my budget :( 
- what do I have wrong??? damn computer %@#$!!! ;)  I am about to take tom's hardware hammer to upgrade this machine :0

Thanks a lot for your help!

Chris.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 13, 2002 4:19:16 PM

not sure about this but:
cant you just stick the RAM in? thats what i did before and it worked on my old via-apollo-133bus (the 100mhz ram worked.)

as i understand it, the system will simply clock down and run at the speed of the slowest ram automatically. ram is supposed to be backward compatible.
maybe someone can verify this
March 13, 2002 4:55:27 PM

Yes, you can run your Athlon XP at 100 FSB, but you will not be getting the performance out of the CPU that you would like, as it will be running about 33% slower (in your case, 1100 not 1466)

You would be better off, if you are going to build a new machine, getting a MB that supports DDR ram. DDR is about the same price as PC133, and much faster. It's a much better way to spend your money.

I do not like it Tom you see,
I do not like green PCB.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 13, 2002 8:08:43 PM

ok that does answer one of my question.
Why loosing perf? because I'm coming from a K6-233, so whatever today's frequency will be better :)  because also of my budget. buying a new mobo+cpu today, pc133 sdram next year or when prices will drop (i'll have more for the same amount). then I'll have a gain of perf again. it's optimization under contraints, something I have done since several years now and that is working for my budget :) 

Going back to my problem : why this system doesn't boot???? any idea?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 13, 2002 8:13:15 PM

I chose the mobo for its PC100 compatibility (or I thought so... was I mistaken?) so the SDRAM fits perfectly in it.

because it's a jumper free mobo, I correted that by puting the right fequency, 100 Mhz...

I dunno what I could do more.... running around my house naked screaming "I love AMD, I love Asustek" ? ;) )

any ideas?
March 14, 2002 12:54:41 AM

In theory what you are trying can be done. The trick is you need to force the MB to run at 100 instead of 133, which if its jumperless and you cant get into the BIOS may be hard. You may need to borrow some pc133 just to set it up. Also you may find a nice friend with pc133 in a pc100 setup that would swp with you? I just did for a buddy cuz my Duron had pc133 and his XP needed 133 but my Duron can use 100 just fine.....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
March 14, 2002 12:55:25 AM

In theory what you are trying can be done. The trick is you need to force the MB to run at 100 instead of 133, which if its jumperless and you cant get into the BIOS may be hard. You may need to borrow some pc133 just to set it up. Also you may find a nice friend with pc133 in a pc100 setup that would swp with you? I just did for a buddy cuz my Duron had pc133 and his XP needed 133 but my Duron can use 100 just fine.....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
March 14, 2002 2:13:32 AM

What P/S 200watt 250watt 300watt ???????

<font color=blue>Join THG UD TEAM WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW</font color=blue>
March 14, 2002 2:22:02 AM

(Anyway it doesn't work, I don't even have a video output.)
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
#1 Video card in AGP slot /pull and reinstall...
#2P/S 300Watts ,,,, any fans startup like heat sink ???/
#3 Any beep codes 1 beep or 5 or it wont stop ????

<font color=blue>Join THG UD TEAM WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW</font color=blue>
March 14, 2002 3:05:51 AM

with the pc100 it will run at 1050, for some weird reason the only choices are 1050 and 1400 for me (xp1600+ A7V133), doesn't let me use 12.5x100 so if underclock it it only does 1050. But the motherboard is a reject anyway, didn't have time to send it back today.

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 14, 2002 7:52:54 AM

#1 already done
#2 all fans start up, the mobo led is lighten, so I plugged the thing right
#3 no beep
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 14, 2002 8:27:03 AM

Well, that was a good idea to test the other multipliers ratios. But it didn't work.
I just put the 250W alim (with enough amperes) on the mobo, 128 Mo SDRAM PC100 and my ATI Rage 128 video card and tried all the ratios from 5x to 12.5x (and I didn't forget to put the mobo on a non-jumperfree mode).
Had it worked I should have heard the typical "shbouing" of my screen receiving video input. Nada. Nothing. Que dalle.
More ideas ? :) )

Chris.

PS: why is that motherboard a reject ???
March 14, 2002 3:12:40 PM

The VIA chipset should support asynchronous memory timing. You should still be able to get the FSB at 133 mHz and the memory at 100mHz (but you will take a performance hit).

I don't know about the A7V133, but I have done this on a P3V4X running a 733 mHz P3 and PC-100 SDRAM. This was done because the board replaced the dreaded Asus P3C2000 (Intel 820 with MTH) and you couldn't use PC-133 on those boards.

Did Weird Al write "It's all about the Pentiums" about me?
March 15, 2002 3:46:46 AM

well I hope you get it running, I just don't have a clue what could be your problem. Did you flash the bios? I flashed to 1007 first because the 1005 bios doesn't support XP CPU, and now I have the 1008 but see no diff between 1007 and 1008

p.s. never use the flash utility on the motherboard cd, it does nothing but kill the bios for good (been there, done that, got the t-shirt). aflash work great and simple to use (help on aflash use is in the mobo manual). If you need help on how to do it just ask, I was scared 5h17l3$$ the first time, now only cross fingers :wink:

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2002 10:51:40 AM

Well I checked on the doc and website and the installed BIOS is 1007 or 1008 so that would not come from here. I am begging all around my place to find somebody, a friend who could lend me a PC133 SDRAM [this is the only think I didn't try and that should (?) work], and all they answer is : "a what????" 8-O :) 

Yep, I guess that people who just want to buy "a" computer don't know their chance...

and the program on the asus mobo cd is aflash and I never any pb with it [yet].
March 16, 2002 2:13:33 AM

augierc,

Your A7V133 may not really be compatible with the Athlon XP. Does anyone here have a working A7V133 w/XP CPU? If so please speak up.

Another possibility is your power supply, but I would think it would work at 100mhz fsb IF you can jumper the board to boot at 100, not 133.

Check the AMD Athlon XP support site here: <A HREF="http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/..." target="_new">http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/...;/A>

If possible, I would try one of the "officially" supported KT133a motherboards if you can get your hands on one (and return your A7V).

Another, possibly better, "step-up" motherboard would be the ECS K7S5A
which would work with your PC100 memory until you could upgrade to DDR. What I can't tell from their support site is if it would work with the XP CPU which wants to run at 133 fsb AND your PC100 which might not work at 133. I can't find any reference to a fsb jumper, so it may just read this from the CPU and thus you might not get it to work. Check it out here: <A HREF="http://www.ecsusa.com/K7S5A.cfm" target="_new">http://www.ecsusa.com/K7S5A.cfm&lt;/A>

On the other hand, the K7S5A is so cheap, maybe you can afford to get the DDR memory right now. The K7S5A is a much better performer w/ DDR memory, and this would also let you take full advantage of your 1700XP at full speed.

Good Luck,

BW
March 16, 2002 4:21:47 AM

A7V133 (133a) here with XP1600+, running fine except when chipset on motherboard die and have to send it in to have it replaced (twice).
512 Mb PC133 ram

a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2002 5:36:53 AM

Damn dude, you got a piece of crap motherboard! You should have considered spending much less money on the much better performing ECS K7S5A. That board supports both SDRAM and DDR SDRAM.

Next thing is, any power supply originally on a K6-2 system is probably far to small to make any motherboard start with the XP1700+, so now you need a new power supply. OUCH! Make sure you get a name brand unit of 350W or more.

Now, you can run your CPU on almost any board at 1100MHz, but I think you'd be best advised to bring it up to full speed. Since you're buying new memory now, you might as well get DDR. So take the board back and get something with DDR support.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
March 16, 2002 12:45:53 PM

You could even go to <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com" target="_new">www.newegg.com&lt;/A> and buy one of their refurbished motherboards and some memory. You can probably find a nice AMD760 chipset board like the Abit KG7, or maybe even something with the Via KT266a chipset and get some stellar performance and still have money for a 128 or 256 meg stick of ddr ram.

Also make sure your heat sink fan is on all the way, all your hard drives and cd rom drives have the correct master/slave configuration, put your sound card in PCI slot 3, or just take out all your cards except the video card.
Its also possible that since the PC100 ram you have is from an old 233 mhz system that its low quality and doesn't work for that reason. If I were you I'd try to borrow a nice quality stick of ram, and maybe even try a different video card. I've heard earlier ati video cards and KT133/KT133a chipsets have problems with each other. I personally have a 2nd computer with KT133 and ATI AIW Rage 128 Pro that has nothing but problems as far as video performance is concerned.

"Why can't I be the man? I mean, I DO have harmony balls..." -epoth
!