raid benefits?

G

I recently ordered 2 western digital 30gb hd (ata100, 7200rpm) to setup raid 0 in my av7266-e with intergrated raid controller, thinking that I would get a great boost in performance over a single ata100 7200rpm drive.

I've, however, read several reviews of raid 0 setup on the net, and I'm confused about the performance benefits of raid 0. A review in Anandtech showed only a 13% performance increase with raid 0 vs single disk setup. I've also read posts of people claiming their raid 0 setup was actually slower than their single disk setup.

Are there significant performance benefits of using raid 0? If so, is this offset by increased CPU utilization by the raid controller?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
My RAID 0 always performs better, but I'm certain it's nowhere near twice as fast. But any improvement is worthwhile IMHO.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Harisahmed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
I've had similar experience when looking at Raid reviews from various sites. The notebook raid article here on THG shows that there is about 61% increase in burst read performance.
If you don't set up your raid properly you can actually lose performance. Don't know enough myself, but I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction.

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
If you want the best performance peak from your RAID 0, use two different channels with only one drive as a master on each channel. That will give you some nice improvements on your speed.

Maybe that controller on that board isn't so sweet...

If I don't get my 90THz AMD Quadraplex system soon, I'm afraid I may just combust right here.