Dell email support

Has anyone here found the Dell email support to be of any use at all? I
used it recently (to determine if the long time to resume from standby on a
new 9100 was normal) and found the responses to be less than useful.

The first response basically said to restore my machine to the factory
condition using the Dell restore:

"Mr. Ruetz,, in this case, I would suggest you to perform a PC Restore on
your system.
Dell PC Restore is a copy of all of the original factory software for your
computer in a hidden section (partition) on your hard drive.

The process of manually reinstalling your operating system, hardware
drivers, and Dell factory installed software may take two or more hours.
Using Dell PC Restore, in about 10 minutes, your computer software can be
restored to the same condition as it was when you first powered on your
computer."

When I suggested that wasn't a useful response (not to mention a novice
might not expect to lose all of his/her data), I got another saying:

"Mr. Ruetz, I apologize for the wrong information provided. Please note that
it is normal for the system to start responding after some time as when the
keyboard or mouse is moved it takes time for the processor or other internal
devices to send signals to hard drive and other hardware to respond and
start working. "

I don't get the impression that these people really understand much about
computers. I would not be very surprised to find that a computer program is
providing automated responses.

I did not really expect them to be much help, but thought I should at least
give it a try before deciding it is useless.

This is not meant to be provocative. I am curious whether email support is
ever useful.

Thanks,
Peter
12 answers Last reply
More about dell email support

    "P Ruetz" <parmailbox-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Has anyone here found the Dell email support to be of any use at all? I
    > used it recently (to determine if the long time to resume from standby on
    > a new 9100 was normal) and found the responses to be less than useful.
    >
    > The first response basically said to restore my machine to the factory
    > condition using the Dell restore:
    >
    > "Mr. Ruetz,, in this case, I would suggest you to perform a PC Restore on
    > your system.
    > Dell PC Restore is a copy of all of the original factory software for your
    > computer in a hidden section (partition) on your hard drive.
    >
    > The process of manually reinstalling your operating system, hardware
    > drivers, and Dell factory installed software may take two or more hours.
    > Using Dell PC Restore, in about 10 minutes, your computer software can be
    > restored to the same condition as it was when you first powered on your
    > computer."
    >
    > When I suggested that wasn't a useful response (not to mention a novice
    > might not expect to lose all of his/her data), I got another saying:
    >
    > "Mr. Ruetz, I apologize for the wrong information provided. Please note
    > that it is normal for the system to start responding after some time as
    > when the keyboard or mouse is moved it takes time for the processor or
    > other internal devices to send signals to hard drive and other hardware to
    > respond and start working. "
    >
    > I don't get the impression that these people really understand much about
    > computers. I would not be very surprised to find that a computer program
    > is providing automated responses.
    >
    > I did not really expect them to be much help, but thought I should at
    > least give it a try before deciding it is useless.
    >
    > This is not meant to be provocative. I am curious whether email support
    > is ever useful.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Peter

    From some postings here in the past, it's been useful for some people. I'm
    not one of them, however. In fact, it appears that your responses are
    better than the ones I received :-)

    Stew

    The responses that you indicate you received were far better than any we
    ever received. We gave up even trying to use the email support. We always
    got little more than "canned" responses to our questions.

    "P Ruetz" <parmailbox-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Has anyone here found the Dell email support to be of any use at all? I
    > used it recently (to determine if the long time to resume from standby on
    > a new 9100 was normal) and found the responses to be less than useful.
    >
    > The first response basically said to restore my machine to the factory
    > condition using the Dell restore:
    >
    > "Mr. Ruetz,, in this case, I would suggest you to perform a PC Restore on
    > your system.
    > Dell PC Restore is a copy of all of the original factory software for your
    > computer in a hidden section (partition) on your hard drive.
    >
    > The process of manually reinstalling your operating system, hardware
    > drivers, and Dell factory installed software may take two or more hours.
    > Using Dell PC Restore, in about 10 minutes, your computer software can be
    > restored to the same condition as it was when you first powered on your
    > computer."
    >
    > When I suggested that wasn't a useful response (not to mention a novice
    > might not expect to lose all of his/her data), I got another saying:
    >
    > "Mr. Ruetz, I apologize for the wrong information provided. Please note
    > that it is normal for the system to start responding after some time as
    > when the keyboard or mouse is moved it takes time for the processor or
    > other internal devices to send signals to hard drive and other hardware to
    > respond and start working. "
    >
    > I don't get the impression that these people really understand much about
    > computers. I would not be very surprised to find that a computer program
    > is providing automated responses.
    >
    > I did not really expect them to be much help, but thought I should at
    > least give it a try before deciding it is useless.
    >
    > This is not meant to be provocative. I am curious whether email support
    > is ever useful.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Peter

    "P Ruetz" <parmailbox-news@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >Has anyone here found the Dell email support to be of any use at all?

    We don't call them Script Monkeys for nothing. Basically you are
    discovering that minimum wage in Elbonia is practically nothing, and
    telecom costs are essentially zero.

    > Has anyone here found the Dell email support to be of any use at all? I

    No, not really. The advice is next to useless.

    > I don't get the impression that these people really understand much about
    > computers. I would not be very surprised to find that a computer program
    is
    > providing automated responses.

    Worrying isn't it, very...

    Rob.

    I've found the best support to be right here in this newsgroup.

    Mel
    "P Ruetz" <parmailbox-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Has anyone here found the Dell email support to be of any use at all? I
    > used it recently (to determine if the long time to resume from standby on
    > a new 9100 was normal) and found the responses to be less than useful.
    >
    > The first response basically said to restore my machine to the factory
    > condition using the Dell restore:
    >
    > "Mr. Ruetz,, in this case, I would suggest you to perform a PC Restore on
    > your system.
    > Dell PC Restore is a copy of all of the original factory software for your
    > computer in a hidden section (partition) on your hard drive.
    >
    > The process of manually reinstalling your operating system, hardware
    > drivers, and Dell factory installed software may take two or more hours.
    > Using Dell PC Restore, in about 10 minutes, your computer software can be
    > restored to the same condition as it was when you first powered on your
    > computer."
    >
    > When I suggested that wasn't a useful response (not to mention a novice
    > might not expect to lose all of his/her data), I got another saying:
    >
    > "Mr. Ruetz, I apologize for the wrong information provided. Please note
    > that it is normal for the system to start responding after some time as
    > when the keyboard or mouse is moved it takes time for the processor or
    > other internal devices to send signals to hard drive and other hardware to
    > respond and start working. "
    >
    > I don't get the impression that these people really understand much about
    > computers. I would not be very surprised to find that a computer program
    > is providing automated responses.
    >
    > I did not really expect them to be much help, but thought I should at
    > least give it a try before deciding it is useless.
    >
    > This is not meant to be provocative. I am curious whether email support
    > is ever useful.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Peter

    Thanks to everyone who responded. I guess I won't be wasting time on email
    support again.

    Peter

    "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > I've found the best support to be right here in this newsgroup.
    >
    > Mel
    > "P Ruetz" <parmailbox-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Has anyone here found the Dell email support to be of any use at all? I
    >> used it recently (to determine if the long time to resume from standby on
    >> a new 9100 was normal) and found the responses to be less than useful.
    >>
    >> This is not meant to be provocative. I am curious whether email support
    >> is ever useful.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Peter

    Unless you're from a different planet you will have noticed that responsive
    and effective e-mail support is rare from any company in any industry.
    Nothing to do with Dell particularly.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "P Ruetz" <parmailbox-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Has anyone here found the Dell email support to be of any use at all? I
    > used it recently (to determine if the long time to resume from standby on
    > new 9100 was normal) and found the responses to be less than useful.
    >
    > The first response basically said to restore my machine to the factory
    > condition using the Dell restore:
    >
    > "Mr. Ruetz,, in this case, I would suggest you to perform a PC Restore on
    > your system.
    > Dell PC Restore is a copy of all of the original factory software for your
    > computer in a hidden section (partition) on your hard drive.
    >
    > The process of manually reinstalling your operating system, hardware
    > drivers, and Dell factory installed software may take two or more hours.
    > Using Dell PC Restore, in about 10 minutes, your computer software can be
    > restored to the same condition as it was when you first powered on your
    > computer."
    >
    > When I suggested that wasn't a useful response (not to mention a novice
    > might not expect to lose all of his/her data), I got another saying:
    >
    > "Mr. Ruetz, I apologize for the wrong information provided. Please note
    that
    > it is normal for the system to start responding after some time as when
    the
    > keyboard or mouse is moved it takes time for the processor or other
    internal
    > devices to send signals to hard drive and other hardware to respond and
    > start working. "
    >
    > I don't get the impression that these people really understand much about
    > computers. I would not be very surprised to find that a computer program
    is
    > providing automated responses.
    >
    > I did not really expect them to be much help, but thought I should at
    least
    > give it a try before deciding it is useless.
    >
    > This is not meant to be provocative. I am curious whether email support
    is
    > ever useful.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Peter

    Based on the your responses I won't even try E-mail first. I just got a 4
    month wait for an estimated delivery date on a printer and a xD memory chip.
    "P Ruetz" <parmailbox-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Has anyone here found the Dell email support to be of any use at all? I
    > used it recently (to determine if the long time to resume from standby on
    > a new 9100 was normal) and found the responses to be less than useful.
    >
    > The first response basically said to restore my machine to the factory
    > condition using the Dell restore:
    >
    > "Mr. Ruetz,, in this case, I would suggest you to perform a PC Restore on
    > your system.
    > Dell PC Restore is a copy of all of the original factory software for your
    > computer in a hidden section (partition) on your hard drive.
    >
    > The process of manually reinstalling your operating system, hardware
    > drivers, and Dell factory installed software may take two or more hours.
    > Using Dell PC Restore, in about 10 minutes, your computer software can be
    > restored to the same condition as it was when you first powered on your
    > computer."
    >
    > When I suggested that wasn't a useful response (not to mention a novice
    > might not expect to lose all of his/her data), I got another saying:
    >
    > "Mr. Ruetz, I apologize for the wrong information provided. Please note
    > that it is normal for the system to start responding after some time as
    > when the keyboard or mouse is moved it takes time for the processor or
    > other internal devices to send signals to hard drive and other hardware to
    > respond and start working. "
    >
    > I don't get the impression that these people really understand much about
    > computers. I would not be very surprised to find that a computer program
    > is providing automated responses.
    >
    > I did not really expect them to be much help, but thought I should at
    > least give it a try before deciding it is useless.
    >
    > This is not meant to be provocative. I am curious whether email support
    > is ever useful.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Peter

    In article <KEDVe.282$qp6.4128899@news.sisna.com>, teddyz@notmail.com
    says...
    > According to Gartner, the Indian BPO's are starting to run into the same
    > problem, despite India's much larger (than the U.S.) population. And because
    > support is such a miserable, thankless task, the BPO's are having to offer
    > more money, which is slowly eroding the cost advantage of overseas support.

    Which is funny when you consider that all of those companies moved
    development, IT services, etc... off-shore in order to save money, and
    most ended up with failed projects, projects that missed their dead-
    lines, projects that went way over cost, projects that didn't deliver
    the required results.....

    I've started seeing companies move phone centers to better English
    speaking countries (south America) and such, but it's funny to see all
    of those companies losing their asses and moving back to the states and
    then finding that people have moved to other fields of work.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Hi!

    > Has anyone here found the Dell email support to be of any use at all? I
    > used it recently (to determine if the long time to resume from standby on
    > new 9100 was normal) and found the responses to be less than useful.

    I used Dell e-mail support to ask where I should go about buying a TraveLite
    module for my Latitude D800. They were so helpful that they sent the module
    completely free of charge!

    I suppose that doing support by way of e-mail is a difficult endeavor. It's
    certainly not a job that I would want to do.

    William

    Ted Zieglar wrote:

    > All of us (who have an interest in Dell computers) wish that Dell's support
    > would at least approach the fine quality of their hardware. But it ain't
    > that simple.
    >
    > Of course, cost is a major consideration, but even if cost were no object:
    > How many people are walking the streets with a combination of in-depth
    > computer knowledge (or the knack to learn), the ability to diagnose problems
    > long distance, articulate language skills, good customer service ability,
    > the patience of Job and the willingness to sit in a cramped cube for long
    > shifts? Not many.

    Actually, there are lots whose jobs were outsourced to India, Romania, etc.

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <KEDVe.282$qp6.4128899@news.sisna.com>, teddyz@notmail.com
    > says...
    >
    >>According to Gartner, the Indian BPO's are starting to run into the same
    >>problem, despite India's much larger (than the U.S.) population. And because
    >>support is such a miserable, thankless task, the BPO's are having to offer
    >>more money, which is slowly eroding the cost advantage of overseas support.
    >

    > Which is funny when you consider that all of those companies moved
    > development, IT services, etc... off-shore in order to save money, and
    > most ended up with failed projects, projects that missed their dead-
    > lines, projects that went way over cost, projects that didn't deliver
    > the required results.....

    That always happens (this isn't the first instance of this in IT). The
    dollar savings always look good in the Powerpoint presentation to the
    board and when the spam hits the fan the proposers have taken the money
    & run, leaving someone else to clean up the mess.

Dell Support Email Computers