Your question

Could FrontPanel USB Damage the MB

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • USB
Last response: in Motherboards
March 14, 2002 7:08:55 PM

It's a ECS K75sA

Hey i just was working on a pc, and i pluged in the usb for the font pannel on wrong and this little chip on the board turned read... so im guessing the board is dead, or just the usb is dead..... the board boots, and the video was working then that stoped working and then when the pc would turn off the fan on the cpu and power supply would keep running..........

i guess... another one bites the dust-a

More about : frontpanel usb damage

March 14, 2002 8:09:59 PM

What chip? Please describe it. Circle it on a picture of the motherboard, if possible. You can email it to me if you can't put it online anywhere.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!
March 14, 2002 8:20:28 PM

yeah..i want to see a picture of this chip..
because i dont know how plugging in a front usb panel thing would kill the motherboard, unless the usb thing was defective?
weird.
and a chip turning red...
was it red because it was hot? or it just turned red.....
very strange happenings.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-
Related resources
March 14, 2002 8:30:01 PM

I sense a disturbance in the Force.

Oops, my bad. Just gas from lunch :redface:

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!
March 14, 2002 8:39:08 PM

AHYUK!

-DAvid

a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2002 1:02:09 AM

OK, funny thing about USB, the GROUND pin is on one edge, the POWER pin on the other, so if you plug them in backwords, you can GROUND the POWER pin to the case! Can this damage a USB controller? Certainly! Can a fried USB controller mean the rest of the chipset is dead? Certainly!

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
March 15, 2002 1:56:28 AM

hmm....weird...because on my old epox board, i plugged the usb ports in wrong, meaning that they wouldnt work, but when i switched them around, they worked, and nothing was wrong with the board at all.
but i understand what you are talking about.
i just think i got lucky.

-DAvid

March 15, 2002 2:06:08 AM

Things turning red is bad....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
March 15, 2002 3:32:53 AM

on my A7V133 you can't hook up the two extra USB's wrong, the plug doesn't go on the motherboard or the panel the wrong way. something good I guess

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2002 3:33:23 AM

Pin1 is power. Pin4 is negative (grounded through board). Pin5 is chassis ground. If the cable is 4 pin, there is no chassis ground, eliminating the possibility of grounding power to the chassis. Same thing for a 5 pin 4 wire cable. Same thing for a 5 pin cable hooked to a plastic panel. It's when you hook the thing to a steel plate, such as a slot cover or aluminum chassis, that the possibility exist for gounding the 5v lead if the pins are reversed.

You see, the chassis ground wire is not really needed. It's main purpose is shielding. Some configurations connect it, others do not, it's kind of redundant as a ground wire, and the shielding isn't really necessary in the opinion of many manufacturers.

March 15, 2002 5:02:57 AM

so could you cut the wire, and eliminate the problem?
oh, i and i would have to pull my little brothers computer apart to check it...but i think that it is a 5 pin...THINK.
he is using my old EPOX mobo.
and it is a two port, slot cover mounted thing i picked up at a computer show a while back.

-DAvid

a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2002 5:14:38 AM

I leave it on there, just remember that red is pin 1.

March 15, 2002 5:24:38 AM

righto...
i remember when i first put the usb ports on that epox, i didnt know which was which, and i just had to figure it out by trial and error.
but it works....and pretty good.
the more ya know! :wink:

-DAvid

March 15, 2002 12:25:02 PM

ok guys i got a pic, its not the greatest, but its in the general location (i circulerd it)

http://www.djedix.com/ecs.jpg

BTW the board works, the monitor i was using the cable was loose so if u bend it the wrong way it wont display right.... no the only other problem im having is when you turn off the power, it doesnt seam to shut down the pc.. i dunno im installing XP on it as we speak
March 15, 2002 6:05:12 PM

Quote:
an overclocked jesus will save faster than mario

Great!!! thanx for the laff .. made my day :smile:

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>
March 18, 2002 1:05:37 AM

i have no idea what chip that is...
hmm..
did you see it turn red? or was it red....and then you just noticed it?
because i think that there are some diodes on this motherboard that are red.
but i am not sure.
there is a red diode there, it is small and like a small tube laying down on the motherboard.

-DAvid

March 22, 2002 9:49:43 AM

i have some usb ports that i took out of my old computer.
it has 5 pins for each port, and the connector for each port is seperate.
looking at <A HREF="http://www.ecsusa.com/usbk7s5a.cfm" target="_new">this</A> there is 4 pins for one part, and 5 pins for the other.
the ports that i have the wires are as follows:
red white green black, and then a thicker black.
i am assuming that the thicker black wire is the extra ground that you were talking about.
thing is, would i be able to use these usb ports on my k7s5a? and what the hell is "USB_FP_OC0"?
that is that extra pin that is next to the key.
would be nice if i could have two more usb ports without any hassle, and without having to go get some more.
and if i can use these, i might mod them so that they are front panel, since my cheap a$$ case doesnt have frontpanel anything...
but i am all for modding, so i am willing to do this.
just want to know if i am going to be ok using this, and i am assuming that the red wire would connect to pin one...
ahyuk! :smile:

-DAvid

a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2002 11:02:21 AM

Yes, you can use it. Put the red wire at Pin1 as instructed. Take a guess at what "USBPWR" stands for and you'll understand why they made that wire red!

March 22, 2002 6:33:14 PM

i figured that....but what is the one next to the key?
it would connect to the big black wire, so i am assuming it is that extra ground...
oh, and i tested the length, and i am going to have to lengthen the wires for it to reach the front panel of the case....no biggie.

-DAvid

a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2002 8:45:47 PM

Maybe it's used for grounding the USB to the front panel for noise reduction, I'm not certain, but obviously if one side works without it the other will as well!

March 22, 2002 9:17:02 PM

i hope...
i havent seen where to get the usb ports for this specific motherboard anyways.
eh..i will try them out

-DAvid

a b V Motherboard
March 23, 2002 1:48:21 AM

Actually 99% of boards use a generic USB header like yours.

March 23, 2002 5:13:14 AM

right-o!
well, i havent tried it yet...but i think it is going to be fine.

-DAvid

March 23, 2002 2:16:20 PM

It can - and it might not.
A couple weeks ago I was assembling a system for a friend of mine - using a cheap KT266A Matsonic Board. When I turned on the power, I saw a red light in the board PCB - near the extra USB header that was connected to the fron USB pannel. Yes, the board was burning (a bit of electrical fire ;) )

I unplugued the power cord, removed the cable from the header, and restarted. And everything worked fine (I extensively tested the system).

The problem is the lack of standards in the front pannels - with that case the USB header couldn't be connected as it was non standard (actually I was told by the vendor that it would work if connected only to the lower row of the USB header, not all of it).

But, except for the non working front pannel, everything is running fine.

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise
a b V Motherboard
March 24, 2002 4:34:04 AM

Actually, there is a standard way of doing things, even if no written standard exist. That is, pin 1 is power, pins 2 and 3 are signal (I think one of them is signal ground), pin 4 is grounded through the motherboard, pin 5 is chassis ground. So having the cable flipped is usually what "lets the smoke out" buy grounding the 5v power lead.

March 24, 2002 6:05:43 PM

Yes - my current case has front usb ports, but every signal has its own connector - a per pin connection (just follow the MB manual ;) ). But some (most?) cases have one large connector - that might be flipped (or maybe it was the mobo).

a b V Motherboard
March 24, 2002 6:14:54 PM

Er, you can change a pair of 4/5 pin connectors to an 8/10 pin dubble row connector by taping them together! Red wire is power/pin1

March 26, 2002 6:53:50 AM

i can tell you which is which, in order.

Red White Green Black and sometimes BLACK again
+5v data data ground ground

so...if you have a case like that, then you can just tape the connectors together.

-DAvid

March 26, 2002 2:30:07 PM

Although my case had the type writen in each wire (which allowed me to connect the front USB pannel correctly to the mobo), thanks for the info.

March 26, 2002 7:44:44 PM

ok, but now if someone comes here looking for this info, they can just look at this. :smile:

-DAvid

March 26, 2002 9:32:22 PM

Yeah - and we never know when we'll need that info. My current box will probably last for half a year :wink:

!