Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Aaron McKenna's Pointless Article - 7 Jan 2006

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
January 8, 2006 1:05:59 PM

Mr. McKenna posted the subject Twitchguru article decrying the state of gaming journalism. While I may or may not agree with Mr. McKenna, I must note that his awkward prose, run-on sentences and unskilled style dilute and compromise his message. If he is going to damn fellow journalists, first he should take some journalistic classes.

More about : aaron mckenna pointless article jan 2006

January 8, 2006 5:40:04 PM

cmon dont post this crap in the games forums everyone has their opinions about writting yadda yadda, and im sick of you people just joining our forum to critisize our writting at THG if it was that bad and offensive im sure he would get fired ok and until that time you shut the F**K up, have a good day :D 
January 8, 2006 6:03:47 PM

Yes, sorry, that wasn't my best example of prose by any measure. But I stick by the point I made.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 9, 2006 10:20:02 AM

Quote:
Mr. McKenna posted the subject Twitchguru article decrying the state of gaming journalism. While I may or may not agree with Mr. McKenna, I must note that his awkward prose, run-on sentences and unskilled style dilute and compromise his message. If he is going to damn fellow journalists, first he should take some journalistic classes.

I haven't read the article but I'm more than happy to tell you that no one cares. I even showed your post to my cat and guess what? He didn't care either.
January 9, 2006 1:27:48 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't have minded your post so much if you would also have given your opinion on what the piece is about.

In its current state this post is the worst trolling I've seen in quite some time on this forum. Shame on you, Sir.
January 9, 2006 1:34:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, sorry, that wasn't my best example of prose by any measure. But I stick by the point I made.

You're weird, you know that?

I agree with most what you said in the piece except that you can't really get away that easy with that excuse about wanting to work in the branche again.

I would defifinitely frequent a site where they would be able and willing to post straightforward and adult previews and reviews. I'd say that the best tradition for such review sites would be based in the UK where there is this tradition of humorous and acid like media coverage of about anything (as example I would like to point out "Top Gear" or some of the more interesting movie review programs that are televised in Britain today.

Right, and where are you living nowadays again? Ah...... so there's some opportunity there to come up with preview and review site to your liking. If you're daunted by the task of having to write all the content yourself, if you would not mind having a non-english native speaker on your crew, I would gladly off myself to be of assistance. Just don't expect a serious improvement in overal spelling and style capabilities (who cares anyways).
January 9, 2006 2:53:27 PM

The main reason I didn't name names was the issue of libel - there would be about two dozen lawyers thrown in a car and send my names if I mentioned a name around that article. The issue of wanting to work again was more cynical - by Sunday evening I was entrenched in email battles with a bunch of colleagues in the industry. However such a reaction is to be expected, when you go pissing all over the profession - just because I'm comfortable with it...

As for my work, well I'm a paid up member of TG Publishing, so alas can't go running with dads car to see what happens. Though I will perhaps try new things through the auspices of TwitchGuru in the future, time permitting. The feedback from readers around the net has given me a lot of food for thought on what new angles to try.
January 9, 2006 3:33:53 PM

The article was a gaming article, posted in Twitch. So, gaming is the right place for this post.
January 9, 2006 3:37:09 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't have minded your post so much if you would also have given your opinion on what the piece is about.

In its current state this post is the worst trolling I've seen in quite some time on this forum. Shame on you, Sir.

No shame on me; I was merely commenting about the unhappy contrast between a gaming writer attacking other gaming writers in a gaming site article, and the writers prose quality. If this is trolling, then your comment is trolling as well.
January 9, 2006 10:17:25 PM

haha didnt we burn a n00b before about this? about how this forum is to discuss games, and not comment on peoples work? if anything go to the other section nooonneee will give a shit there :D 
January 10, 2006 5:55:07 AM

This one has a ninja turtle avatar. Beware! 8O
January 10, 2006 8:03:37 AM

Quote:

No shame on me; I was merely commenting about the unhappy contrast between a gaming writer attacking other gaming writers in a gaming site article.
What, so no marks for being a progressive?

And is it just me or do I suddenly live in a world in which libel does not exist? Most comments thus far have been positive, but some have picked up on the fact that I (rather sarcastically, I might add...) said "Well I want to work in this industry again" when it came to the issue of naming names. Just before that I mentioned the far more serious issue of libel.

I say "Well Mag X does Y" and Mag X's lawyers say "Prove it", which can be quite subjective. One has to be careful with articles like that, as they can later see you entrenched in long and brutal legal battles.
January 10, 2006 8:07:24 AM

I want to be entrenched in a long legal battle, it sounds like fun. Does each side get to shoot at one another?
January 10, 2006 10:21:27 AM

Quote:
I want to be entrenched in a long legal battle, it sounds like fun. Does each side get to shoot at one another?

Due to the carefully worded and legal sense of the argument, shouting is near impossible. And you have to sit still for about three months, perched on a seat in a stuffy court room.
January 10, 2006 10:31:08 AM

I didn't say shout, read it again :) 
January 10, 2006 1:11:58 PM

Quote:
I didn't say shout, read it again :) 

I'm sorry, I misread that. Must have some French in me today... :wink:
January 10, 2006 1:18:02 PM

I have no problem with homosexuality but keep that sort of stuff to yourself.

EDIT: Your location info in your profile is taking on a different meaning now.
January 10, 2006 2:10:44 PM

Only in your mind... the West Wing quote comes to mind, when they were handed a piece of legislation banning gay marriage: "Gee, can these conservatives not stop thinking about sex?" :lol: 
January 10, 2006 2:34:41 PM

OMFG - I read that as shout too :? How odd.