ECS K7S5A onboard Lan question (important)

Heeman

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
Recently I purchased a Radeon 8500,I decided to remove my pci lan card and use the onboard lan instead in order to lessen the power requirements on my 300watt powerman powersupply. I notice that my psu is running cooler now so that's good, but is there now a performance decrease in my games now since I'm using the onboard lan. Does it share vital motherboard resources like the onboard Audio'97......I would appreciate any feedback on this matter.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
my inclincation would be to say no. It still just interfaces to the PCI bus, one gets plugged in, the other is soldered in.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Xynok

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Go to SiS.com or ECS.tw.com and DL the latest driver for the onboard LAN if you have not done so.

And the answer to your question is nope.

Also, try disabling the onboard NIC and see if the problem persists. Then put in your PCI NIC and see if the problem persists. If the problem persists independent of a NIC, or with the PCI NIC installed, get a GeForce 3 or 4 and watch your problems go away.

Also make sure you have the latest SiS AGP driver, and play with your AGP aperture settings.

Since the "performance decrease" you indicate is completely vague, it is difficult to comment on what the problem might be. What I DO know is that you put in a new video card, and are using the onboard lan. Without knowing what you mean by "performance decrease," I would be pointing to the Video card before what NIC I was using; it is certainly the primary thing that has changed. If you mean lag, etc., then make sure you have the NIC driver installed, as I said above. Otherwise, put your PCI NIC back in and see if that helps.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i am using the onboard NIC with no problems at all.
works pretty fast, just as fast as a pci NIC, and doesnt seem to conflict with anything or cause decreasing performance.
what you could check is if the onboard NIC is on the same irq as the video card?
possible.
and that could screw things up.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-