BEFSR41 / WAP54G Configure Problems

Jim

Have an older BEFSR41 router and it has been working fine. Installed
a WAP54G Access point last night. Trying to set up my work laptop
wityh a WPC54GS and a home computer with a WUSB54G.

Also have Zone Alarm pro firewall. Broadband is a cable modem.

Laptop - Win2K. Installed software for adaptor and then the adapter.
I can get a connection to the access point and occassionally a
connection to the internet. However, when i try to go to a web site,
vpn, etc, the connection to the internet is dropped.

Home PC has XP Home. Installed the WUSB54G and went thru the
configuration. Connection to the access point is shown as 1 Mbps.
Occassional connection to internet but quickly dropped.

I started looking at different settings for the router and the access
point and cannot figure out how to get all of this to work.

Any pointers? Thanx....Jim

"Jim" <jimpar2@cox.net> wrote in message
> Have an older BEFSR41 router and it has been working fine. Installed
> a WAP54G Access point last night. Trying to set up my work laptop
> wityh a WPC54GS and a home computer with a WUSB54G.
>
> Also have Zone Alarm pro firewall. Broadband is a cable modem.
>
> Laptop - Win2K. Installed software for adaptor and then the adapter.
> I can get a connection to the access point and occassionally a
> connection to the internet. However, when i try to go to a web site,
> vpn, etc, the connection to the internet is dropped.
>
> Home PC has XP Home. Installed the WUSB54G and went thru the
> configuration. Connection to the access point is shown as 1 Mbps.
> Occassional connection to internet but quickly dropped.
>
> I started looking at different settings for the router and the access
> point and cannot figure out how to get all of this to work.
>
> Any pointers? Thanx....Jim

Do the laptop and PC acquire IP addresses from the router (192.168.x.y, not
169.254.x.y)? Can you PING the router's LAN address from the computers?

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Jim

Got further along. Moved the Access Point to the router switch called
Uplink. Laptop works fine and it does get assigned a 192.168.1.xxx ip
address. Internet access works fine on this machine. Transfer rate
shows as 54M

Desktop (XP Home) is upstairs and has a WUSB54 on it. Transfer rate
shows as 1M and no internet access. If I enable DHCP it DOES NOT
assign a 192.168.1.xxx address. I have also tried setting the IP
Address to hardcoded 192.168.1.110

Either way, transfer rate is always 1MB and no internet access.
Signal strength fluxes between 20 and 50 percent.

It was getting late and my daughter was trying to go to sleep so i did
not bring the laptop upstairs to see what kind of connection it got.
will try that tomorrow night to determine if walls, etc are the cause