My Windows (XP) Messenger Doesnt Appear In System Tray On ..

My Windows (XP) Messenger Doesnt Appear In System Tray On Start-up -
Although Is Running In Background? Any Clues?

Greetings,

A number of things can cause this to happen. Firstly, make sure that it's disabled by
opening it up (click Start, then Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK), click Tools, Options,
Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this Program when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger
when Windows starts' (depending on version) as well as 'Allow this program to run in the
background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background' (depending on version).

Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a
new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to
also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger or Windows Messenger
(depending on version) and click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert