Abit Kr7a-raid&XP1900+ OC Bios setting

G

Since AbitKr7a-raid got such overwhelming reviews I got me one of them! :)
BUT!!! I need help with the settings in bios to overclock my pc. I know nothing about overclocking, i mean NOTHING!
So if anyone knows, or has oc:d a similar pc-config as mine, please help me!
I need detailed info on what settings AND where to put them step by step,
My pc contains the following variety of new/old stuff:

Abit Kr7a-raid
Alpha pal 8045 with panaflo fan
XP1900+ (Unlocked successfully)
400w antec power supply
(&Antec bigtower)
Two sticks of 256 pc2700 cas 2,5
Two 80gb 7200rpm Western digital XL20+

my old tnt riva agp (run out of money:)
Creative soundblaster256
scsi card adaptec 2904cd
teac 6x24 scsiburner
dvd (sony or pioneer, dunno it´s from my old pc-package)
and... *hold your breath* my ancient floppy! :)

Now I tried to read up on this stuff,
with agp/pci slots goes berserk if wrong settings,
what should i do with the front side school-bus or whatewer,
and what exactly do I do with voltage AND DDRRAM???,
but I am very uncertain bout it all and I NEED help if there is anybody that has this level of knowledge/
/or has tried out an successful OC with a stable system.
I´m hoping oc bout 200MHz is within reasonable limits, or???
Everything I bought I choosed because of rewiews & recommendations from this side & anandtech,
with hope these sites know what they´re talking bout!

From what I read here
(thinks the best site by the way)
I guess some settings should be/look something like this
150MHz bus, 12,0 Multiplier, 1,85v
ddrram 2,85 and???
I really dont know what I should do, so anyone out there,
please take pity and guide me through my bios!

Swedish OC in training... Whats that smoke from my cpu?

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I really doubt you'll get to 1800 MHz unless you have a very high quality CPU. Basically you want to shoot for more performance with a slight overclock, and go for 150 FSB but more like 1700 MHz.
Start by ramping your core voltage to 1.85 volts, then put your CPU multiplier to 11.5 and your fsb to 145. If you get into windows there you have a better KR7A-RAID than I have. Then slowly move your FSB higher until you get to 150. With 11.5 multiplier and 150 FSB you'll be at 1725 MHz and due to the higher FSB you'll be getting much better performance.
Then again if you have your multiplier unlocked you can not touch your FSB and just go for 12.5 multiplier or higher. You might need to flash your bios first though.

I would have to highly recomend that you read several overclocking reviews, try going to google.com and searching for "Athlon XP overclocking" or even "AMD Thunderbird overclocking"

By the way if you fry your stuff I'm not responsible :smile:

"Why can't I be the man? I mean, I DO have harmony balls..." -epoth<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Oni on 03/15/02 11:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
To add to that. If overclock to much, it won't boot. And unplugging the power supply and clearing the CMOS should do the trick. <A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/bios.htm" target="_new">http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/bios.htm</A>

G

Thanx for replying me,
And what of the ddrram settings,
is the only rule that I should set them to 2,85v or???

I tried to read up on the subject,
only to find there are no REAL good explanations/tutoring sites for "dummies in training".
Noticed that there are no "straight road" but lots of different opinions as I search knowledge through google.
As the man said in quote of the week above...
I am greatful for all info you can give me,
if anyone can explain the memory/DDR
the reasonable settings I should try on my Abit-board
it would be of great help
(You see my setup in top thread mess)

I read that frontsidebus over 140 will fxxk up the agp slot?
Is this true(wuzzzup)or is this ramblings of laymens?

Swedish OC in training... Whats that smoke from my cpu?

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Increasing the front side bus also increase the agp speed, and pci speed (unless you have a special motherboard like nForce) But with the KR7A it will increase all other buses. I too have the KR7A-RAID and next time I reboot I'll write down my memory timings and a few other bios settings to help you out. I got bored today and decided to run 140 MHz FSB so now my 1533 MHz Athlon XP 1800+ is now 1610 MHz (roughly 1900+)
Just for starters you want your cas settings to be 2-2-2 if your ram can handle it, and I can't remember for sure, but if "Turbo" is an option try to enable it.
This board has gotten mixed results, hardocp was unable to get it to run 150 MHz FSB no matter how low they dropped the multiplier, and mine board performs the same way. On the other end of the spectrum I've seen people runing with 175+ FSB speeds (183 comes to mind but I'm not sure if that was another board)
And about the ram voltage, if you have high quality ram, you should be fine at stock ram voltage, especially with PC2700. Its only once you start going higher than PC2700 speed (166x2 333 MHz DDR) that you might need to increase it.

"Why can't I be the man? I mean, I DO have harmony balls..." -epoth

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I don't remember if I ever turned the DDR up all the way or not, raising it did help it be more stable, and get higher MHz, but I never left my MHz as high as I could get it. I always ended back to default. Just don't like heating things up, just to write E-mail, and I can't win all the online UT games anyway, tweak or not. I was just concerned about you getting the board to boot again, once you pushed it to where it wouldn't boot. A few times I had problem getting it to boot again, and had to fool around a lot with it, but if I remember correct, clearing the CMOS did the trick, but the P/S had to be unplugged and I wasn't unplugging the P/S making it even harder to get to boot again. Just making you aware of this, in case you didn't already know, for you don't think you fried something if it doesn't boot.