Does this really sound like a CD problem???

I have a new Inspiron 2200.

All is working fine EXCEPT I cannot seem to write to a CD.

My drive is supposed to be CDRW/DVD combo.

The problem is that any CD I put in appears as Read Only, It will not let me
format a new
Rewritable CD and it won't write on CD's I have that were RW formatted on my
Desktop. It keeps saying that the media is READ ONLY.

I called Dell twice and they will be sending me a new drive.

I am VERY hesitant to open the notebook and replace the drive. Is that a
difficult task??

Is there anything else I can try first?

Mel

Right click on the drive in My Computer. The last tab should be Recording.
Make sure the option to record is checked.

Tom

> I am VERY hesitant to open the notebook and replace the drive.
> Is that a difficult task??

Check your user guide because you may find it is meant to be user-
exchangeable. It would be surprising for Dell to expect you to open
up the laptop to fit the replacement.

>I have a new Inspiron 2200.
>
> All is working fine EXCEPT I cannot seem to write to a CD.
>
> My drive is supposed to be CDRW/DVD combo.
>
> The problem is that any CD I put in appears as Read Only, It will not let
> me format a new
> Rewritable CD and it won't write on CD's I have that were RW formatted on
> my Desktop. It keeps saying that the media is READ ONLY.
>
> I called Dell twice and they will be sending me a new drive.
>
> I am VERY hesitant to open the notebook and replace the drive. Is that a
> difficult task??
>
> Is there anything else I can try first?
>
> Mel

What software are you using? Are you using windows XP CD writing capability
or something like Nero (or Sonic or whatever Dell installs on the machine)?
Personally, I found the windows CD native writing to be pretty worthless.

Peter

Removal and replacement of CD/DVD drives on most Dell notebooks is really pretty
easy. You don't have to open them up at all. The user's guides on the Dell web
site are very clear and informative... Ben Myers

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:55:55 GMT, McSpreader <invalid@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in
>
>> I am VERY hesitant to open the notebook and replace the drive.
>> Is that a difficult task??
>>

>Check your user guide because you may find it is meant to be user-
>exchangeable. It would be surprising for Dell to expect you to open
>up the laptop to fit the replacement.

RSVP with the model of the drive in your notebook. Click the system icon in
Control Panel, then look at the list of devices in device manager. There is
some chance that you may not have gotten a RW drive.

Forget the CD/DVD burning built into XP. Forget rewritable media that can wear
out at any time. If you don't have 3rd party CD burning software such as Sonic,
Nero, or Roxio, download the free CDBurnerXPPro and use it. Buy cheap
write-once blank CDs... Ben Myers

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:33:57 -0400, "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:

>I have a new Inspiron 2200.
>
>All is working fine EXCEPT I cannot seem to write to a CD.
>
>My drive is supposed to be CDRW/DVD combo.
>
>The problem is that any CD I put in appears as Read Only, It will not let me
>format a new
>Rewritable CD and it won't write on CD's I have that were RW formatted on my
>Desktop. It keeps saying that the media is READ ONLY.
>
>I called Dell twice and they will be sending me a new drive.
>
>I am VERY hesitant to open the notebook and replace the drive. Is that a
>difficult task??
>
>Is there anything else I can try first?
>
>Mel

Ben:

I have a SONY CDRW/DVD CRX835E.
It came with SONIC software.

Yes, recording is enabled.

As I said , Dell is sending me a new drive. I just am wondering if the
problem is the hardware.

Maybe it is.

Mel

> RSVP with the model of the drive in your notebook. Click the system icon
> in
> Control Panel, then look at the list of devices in device manager. There
> is
> some chance that you may not have gotten a RW drive.
>
> Forget the CD/DVD burning built into XP. Forget rewritable media that can
> wear
> out at any time. If you don't have 3rd party CD burning software such as
> Sonic,
> Nero, or Roxio, download the free CDBurnerXPPro and use it. Buy cheap
> write-once blank CDs... Ben Myers
>
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:33:57 -0400, "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:
>
>>I have a new Inspiron 2200.
>>
>>All is working fine EXCEPT I cannot seem to write to a CD.
>>
>>My drive is supposed to be CDRW/DVD combo.
>>
>>The problem is that any CD I put in appears as Read Only, It will not let
>>me
>>format a new
>>Rewritable CD and it won't write on CD's I have that were RW formatted on
>>my
>>Desktop. It keeps saying that the media is READ ONLY.
>>
>>I called Dell twice and they will be sending me a new drive.
>>
>>I am VERY hesitant to open the notebook and replace the drive. Is that a
>>difficult task??
>>
>>Is there anything else I can try first?
>>
>>Mel

The Dell OEM version Sonic is SUPPOSED to work with all CDRWs installed on Dell
systems. Just for fun, try CDBurnerXPPro and see if it works. The nice thing
about CDBurnerXPPro, in addition to it being free, is that it is
vendor-agnostic.

So darn many of these burning packages, whether store-bought or OEM, have
hard-coded limitations preventing their use with certain makes or models of
drives. To be more accurate, they generally include a list of supported drives,
and if your drive is not in the list, you are screwed... Ben Myers

"MZB" <moo@noway.prudigy.net> wrote in message
> Ben:
>
> I have a SONY CDRW/DVD CRX835E.
> It came with SONIC software.
>
> Yes, recording is enabled.
>
> As I said , Dell is sending me a new drive. I just am wondering if the
> problem is the hardware.
>
> Maybe it is.
>
> Mel

It would not be an uncommon failure to lost partial, but not all, function
of the drive.

The new drive should tell you if you have a software or hardware prob.

Stew

Ben:

I d/l that s-ware.
I can burn files to the CD, but I can't make the CD such that I can save
more files to it.

How do I do such a format with new s-ware??

I checked its help index and there was nothing about formatting.
Mel

> The Dell OEM version Sonic is SUPPOSED to work with all CDRWs installed on
> Dell
> systems. Just for fun, try CDBurnerXPPro and see if it works. The nice
> thing
> about CDBurnerXPPro, in addition to it being free, is that it is
> vendor-agnostic.
>
> So darn many of these burning packages, whether store-bought or OEM, have
> hard-coded limitations preventing their use with certain makes or models
> of
> drives. To be more accurate, they generally include a list of supported
> drives,
> and if your drive is not in the list, you are screwed... Ben Myers
>
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:46:13 -0500, "MZB" <moo@noway.prudigy.net> wrote:
>
>>Ben:
>>
>>I have a SONY CDRW/DVD CRX835E.
>>It came with SONIC software.
>>
>>Yes, recording is enabled.
>>
>>As I said , Dell is sending me a new drive. I just am wondering if the
>>problem is the hardware.
>>
>>Maybe it is.
>>
>>Mel
>>

>><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>>> RSVP with the model of the drive in your notebook. Click the system
>>> icon
>>> in
>>> Control Panel, then look at the list of devices in device manager.
>>> There
>>> is
>>> some chance that you may not have gotten a RW drive.
>>>
>>> Forget the CD/DVD burning built into XP. Forget rewritable media that
>>> can
>>> wear
>>> out at any time. If you don't have 3rd party CD burning software such
>>> as
>>> Sonic,
>>> Nero, or Roxio, download the free CDBurnerXPPro and use it. Buy cheap
>>> write-once blank CDs... Ben Myers

Yes folks I am using rewritable media.I'm starting to suspect that just
maybe it is the drive.

I d/l all SONIC updates. It still says READ ONLY.

Next step: I'll wait for the drive.

I saw some documentation and it looks like it will not be too difficult a
job to replace it (famous last words!)

Mel
"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

> "MZB" <moo@noway.prudigy.net> wrote in message
>> Ben:
>>
>> I have a SONY CDRW/DVD CRX835E.
>> It came with SONIC software.
>>
>> Yes, recording is enabled.
>>
>> As I said , Dell is sending me a new drive. I just am wondering if the
>> problem is the hardware.
>>
>> Maybe it is.
>>
>> Mel
>>

> It would not be an uncommon failure to lost partial, but not all, function
> of the drive.
>
> The new drive should tell you if you have a software or hardware prob.
>

> Stew

are you using cdrw media or cdr media?

> Ben:
>
> I d/l that s-ware.
> I can burn files to the CD, but I can't make the CD such that I can save
> more files to it.
>
> How do I do such a format with new s-ware??
>
> I checked its help index and there was nothing about formatting.
> Mel
>

> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>> The Dell OEM version Sonic is SUPPOSED to work with all CDRWs installed
>> on Dell
>> systems. Just for fun, try CDBurnerXPPro and see if it works. The nice
>> thing
>> about CDBurnerXPPro, in addition to it being free, is that it is
>> vendor-agnostic.
>>
>> So darn many of these burning packages, whether store-bought or OEM, have
>> hard-coded limitations preventing their use with certain makes or models
>> of
>> drives. To be more accurate, they generally include a list of supported
>> drives,
>> and if your drive is not in the list, you are screwed... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:46:13 -0500, "MZB" <moo@noway.prudigy.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Ben:
>>>
>>>I have a SONY CDRW/DVD CRX835E.
>>>It came with SONIC software.
>>>
>>>Yes, recording is enabled.
>>>
>>>As I said , Dell is sending me a new drive. I just am wondering if the
>>>problem is the hardware.
>>>
>>>Maybe it is.
>>>
>>>Mel
>>>

>>><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message

First, you need to make sure you have CD-RW (rewritable) media. Next, some
software somewhere needs to do the equivalent of a drive format. (Not familiar
with the details 'cause I do not use CD-RW.) After that, you can write to the
CD-RW pretty much the way you could do with an old-time floppy or a ZIP disk.

I'm not sure if CDBurnerXPPro handles CD-RW. But it sounds like you have
verified that the drive is functional as a CD burner. And you can read what was
burned onto the CD-R, right? ... Ben Myers