new service to email to sms?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 12, 2004 4:21:11 AM

whats that new service where you just type in someone phone # in your
email client and it know where which provider to send it to

More about : service email sms

April 12, 2004 11:06:19 AM

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 00:21:11 GMT, none <user@example.com> wrote:

>whats that new service where you just type in someone phone # in your
>email client and it know where which provider to send it to

tendigits@teleflip.com e.g. 3115552368@teleflip.com (for the US and
Canada.)

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
April 12, 2004 9:26:46 PM

thats the one thanks alot

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.NONOcom> wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 00:21:11 GMT, none <user@example.com> wrote:
>
> >whats that new service where you just type in someone phone # in your
> >email client and it know where which provider to send it to
>
> tendigits@teleflip.com e.g. 3115552368@teleflip.com (for the US and
> Canada.)

> remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
April 12, 2004 10:26:57 PM

cashman wrote:
> thats the one thanks alot

I wonder what teleflip's business model is?

Roger
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 12:45:32 AM

"Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote:

>cashman wrote:
>> thats the one thanks alot
>
>I wonder what teleflip's business model is?
>
>Roger

Their web page points to an article which says "He expects the service
to make money by selling short advertisements that would be attached to
e-mail messages using the Short Code standard."

I wonder how they find out who my provider is, now that numbers are no
longer in carrier-specific blocks.

==
Jack Hamilton
jfh@acm.org

==
In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and security.
And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
Edward Gibbons
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 2:32:23 AM

> Their web page points to an article which says "He expects the service
> to make money by selling short advertisements that would be attached to
> e-mail messages using the Short Code standard."

I sent a test message to myself. They added this text to the end:
---- Teleflip a Friend!

I then sent a message longer than the 160 character limit, and
there was no telelfip suffix (ie they didn't truncate my message
any more than SMS would have).

It will be quite interesting once this goes global. Since VZW
charge 25c to send an international SMS, it will be a LOT cheaper
(bundled messages with my plan) to send email from the phone
instead.

Roger
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 3:43:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,misc.consumers.frugal-living (More info?)

Real Slick & Free! How can this service support itself? Hmmmm ... I'm
beginning to get some bad vibs here. I am afraid to use it.

Will users regret it after using it and their cellphones start getting
SpaMS?

I hope not, but regardless you're allowing a 3rd source to forward
(intercept + possibly read) your messages for you, all be its free.

Thanks info, but good luck on using it!

J3
upstate south carolina

"cashman" <spamme@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> thats the one thanks alot
>

> "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.NONOcom> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 00:21:11 GMT, none <user@example.com> wrote:
> >
> > >whats that new service where you just type in someone phone # in your
> > >email client and it know where which provider to send it to
> >
> > tendigits@teleflip.com e.g. 3115552368@teleflip.com (for the US and
> > Canada.)
> >
> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> > remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

April 13, 2004 10:09:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,misc.consumers.frugal-living (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:43:57 -0400, "Josh III"
<joshp51REMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Real Slick & Free! How can this service support itself? Hmmmm ... I'm
>beginning to get some bad vibs here. I am afraid to use it.
>
>Will users regret it after using it and their cellphones start getting
>SpaMS?
>
> I hope not, but regardless you're allowing a 3rd source to forward
>(intercept + possibly read) your messages for you, all be its free.
>
>Thanks info, but good luck on using it!

Anyone is free to be paranoid.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 2:51:24 PM

"Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in message
<snip>
> It will be quite interesting once this goes global. Since VZW
> charge 25c to send an international SMS, it will be a LOT cheaper
> (bundled messages with my plan) to send email from the phone
> instead.
>
> Roger

Hi Roger:

I have been txt'ing my friend in the UK for quite some time and it has
cost me .10¢ to send and 02¢ to receive. I then joined one of those
500 TXT messages promos until 12/31/05 and it has cost nothing above
my text messaging fee.($4.99)

However O2 (http://www.o2.co.uk) in the United Kingdom charges him 35p
to send and nothing to receive and the company in South Carolina
converts the messages from GSM/CDMA and CDDMA/GSM for O2 Cellular of
which they tout the service as opening up the text service to millions
of Verizon, Cingular, AT&T etc. They state only 15% of American cell
phone customers use the text service where in Europe the use is at
85%. Please note the Text Message Web Site for Verizon states we can
text with T-Mobile and Vodaphone in the UK but my friend has neither
service.

Maybe Verizon plans on charging more in the future if so point me to
the charges pages so I can get a gander.

Elector
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 9:17:11 PM

"Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in news:q7srk1-
0jv.ln1@home.rogerbinns.com:

> cashman wrote:
>> thats the one thanks alot
>
> I wonder what teleflip's business model is?
>
> Roger

Another spammer's harvester, storing phone number and email data to sell to
the spammers. You didn't think it was free, did you??....(c;
!