Network card causes CD-Roms to disappear

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
I am having a problem with a machine where the Netgear Network card is disabling the Secondary IDE Channel. Sec Master and Sec Slave both come up as None at POST, so it isn't a software or driver issue.

Motherboard is an ECS P6S5AT
Network card is Netgear FA311
And a couple of different CD-Roms

When the computer boots up without the Network card in, the CD drives are detected just fine, but as soon as you install the card in any PCI slot, the Harddrive is autodetected, but the CD-roms aren't.

tried the drives stand-alone.
tried netgear in different PCI slots.
tried different netgears with same results, but a different brand network card fixes it.
Netgear works fine in other machines.
If I move the CD-roms to the Primary IDE, it detects fine.
I can't see anything in the Bios that would effect it.

This is for a customer (a Computer student at the local Tech. college). I am going to see if there are any Bios Upgrades to this board, it is kinda cheap, but my boss doesn't really know what quality is. But any ideas would be helpfull.

Thanks,
Bardic

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
OK, I guess I shouldn't have expected a reply at 1 in the morning, and I have worked on it for another hour and Success!!!

I tried 2 identical MB's, 2 different Video cards, different CD drive, 3 different Network cards, and all worked except the Netgear. I tried to find a Bios upgrade and none of them had to do with my problem. So I opened up the documentation on the Netgear so I could change the IRQ and I/O settings, and it said that the card can't be configured if the MB says "Yes" on Plug and Play OS. I changed it to "No" and it Works!!!

2 AM and I can finally go home. Wish these people could have a little patience, but they all need their computers fixed on the same day, and it's always urgent.

Sleep well, All. The moral of this story is that Sleep deprivation and insane boredom can accomplish anything.

Later,
Bardic