What's the best RPG out there

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
Having played and enjoyed Heretic and Doom a loooonnggg time ago, and havnig been away from gaming for a long time...

What is a good similar game today? I download demo of the latest Doom, and could not get interested in it. Too slow on my pc, and I got hopelessly lost in the corridors. In any case, I always preferred Heretic I (not II) to Doom.

So what is out there these days??

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
best RPG = FF7

agreed with ned, also try Call of Duty(COD), COD2, FEAR. if you want something very similair to doom then try Quake 4.

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
I'd say Painkiller is the game most true to the original DooM, and definitely worth trying for any action-loving person.

And even though it's old, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy is still one of my favorite FPSs

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
...... What are the specs to your pc.

As Snorkius said the closest to doom/heretic is Painkiller. You don't really get Heretic type FPS's anymore. Maybe not a bad compromise as well here but there is Vampires Bloodlines may be a decent choice. It can be played both in first person and third person. Is dark, has weapons and magic. However it's foremost an rpg rather than a fps which is what you're wanting. Can also require a hefty pc and has a few bugs. Still a good game tho.

Another fantastic FPS is Chronicles of Riddick, escape from Butchers Bay.

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
Thanks, folks for the feedback. Yes, I am interested in FPS, I guess... forgot the correct terminology.

Loved the original Heretic's smoothness and charm (as compared to Doom which is a rough/dark game). I will start studying the ones suggested here by all four of you. Hopefully all have preview downloads.

Thanks again.

steve

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Games have come on alot since Heretic and Doom so download and play what you can, then get back to us with likes and dislikes and we can go from there.

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
hmm...

I have to admit I did not buy the machine for gaming :roll: It is a retail HP media center (dual core, intel graphics, 1 gig ram). I tried to play FEAR download, and it said nVidia required or something.

But I did download Call of Duty, and it plays nice!! I am kind of hooked on that game, and I should soon fork out the money to get the full version.

Two questions:
-Can I stick a good video board into my machine. I presume the existing graphics is right on the motherboard?

-Any games comparable/better than COD, for FPS?

steve

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Dammit, stop posting in different sections.

Do you know what an AGP or PCI Express slot looks like?

If so grab yourself a 6800GT or equivalent, (look at THG gfx card tables) and your away, the rest of your machine is fine.

After that, I dunno, you probably will need to go into the bios and disable the onboard GFX, I think so you need to be comfortable with that stuff but others can give you better advice there.

As for comparable games, CoD1 is virtually out on it's own :) CoD2 doesn't hold a candle to it in my eyes but is more of the same.

Personally once you get a better GFX card then download and try in no particular order:

Aliens Vs Predator 2
FEAR
COD1
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
HL2 I suppose despite me hating it.
Hidden and Dangerous 2
No One Lives Forever 2
Battlefield 2

Can't think of any others off the top of my head but don't stop with just FPSs

Download

Rome Total War
Command and Conquer Generals
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
Homeworld 1 and 2

RPG:

Baldurs Gate 2
Morrowind
Neverwinter Nights
Vampires the masquerade: Bloodlines

Flight sims:

IL2 Sturmovik and it's add on packs
Lock On

Space Sims:

Freelancer
X2: The Threat
X3: Reunion
Independence wars: Edge of Chaos

Ah crap, can't think of the best space games ever...... what was it called, something wars..... Argh! Someone help me out here game was you as a fighter pilot against these insect like aliens.... Their battleships were HUGE...... Oh my poor aging gamer brain can't remember.

Anyway I need to get back to work.

sluggo

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004
Lots of great games mentioned.

Yes Call of Duty is a very impressive game. Totally Immersive experience.

If you want a different flavor of FPS. Try Serious Sam, (it has one expansion and Serious Sam 2 came out not to long ago). It is silly with bright colorful graphics.

Sluggo

Goofus_Max

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
For games your current computer (with intel integrated graphics :p ) can handle, you might try older games like Half Life (First Person Shooter), Diablo (action Role Playing Game), Warcraft 3 (Real Time Strategy), or Baldur's Gate II (Role Playing Game). You may even be able to play World of Warcraft, which is the newest in the new form of RPG; Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game, or MMORPG, which put you in a virtual world for a hourly-daily-monthly-or-yearly subscription fee.

If you feel too uncomfortable to fiddle with the innards of your HP computer, and don't have any precocious teenager relatives who could do so for you, you might want to invest in a computer that is made especially for playing the latest graphics-intensive games available like Half Life 2, Call of Duty 2, or Everquest 2. Commercial gaming solutions tend to be overpriced however, and adding your own graphics card (if your HP media center has the slots for it) and sound card (pretty much just Sound Blaster Audigy2 or higher for gaming) can really perk up your computer's gaming performance for a more reasonable price.

dhlucke

Polypheme
The first call of duty is the first game you'll want to try. It's one of the few FPS I played throught twice.

Half Life 2 is great!

The first Jedi Knight was good too.

Farcry is fun for a while but only if you're playing with all the eye candy on.

Check out Max Payne if you haven't seen it.

RCPilot

Champion
I'd say play PainKiller Gold & the Serious Sam series.....

Those games will teach you, eye / hand / keyboard / mouse, coordination needed to play FPSs..... A whole lot of action & some of my favorite games.... Those 2 games improved my performance in FPSs, more than any other games & they're dirt cheap........ You'll have to be able "Run & Gun, or your Done", in them!!!!! :p

bulkypc07

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Morning..Want some coffe?... hehe..(I love playin 24hrs) :lol:

List of RPG games you might want to play:
WoW
EverQuest

About FPS:
Half-Life 2
Doom3
Far Cry
Serious Sam2
BF2
COD
Quake 4
MOH

Have Fun :)

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
Thanks guys. You have given me a whole bunch of good games to get started with. Now, I need to get me a half decent graphic card, and I will be in business.

Thanks!

steve

G

Morrowind is amazing! Its huge and the detail is crazy! One of the best RPG's out there, I can't wait for the new one...........

RCPilot

Champion
Oh, I game a plenty myself....

I have loaded & am playing right now:

Half-Life 2 = Best shooter I ever played
Doom3 = Worst game, waste of $$$
Far Cry = Great game
FEAR = Not a great game, once is enough
Serious Sam2 = Awesome game
Quake 4 = Doom 3 rip off. waste of $$$$
PainKiller Gold = Awesome game

On steam I have the ATI package.... So on my Steam account I have close to 20 games there....

RCPilot

Champion
Yes, dog gone it!!!!! I'll add that to my list.... It's still loaded...

I didn't like FEAR.... It's one of those games, you play through it once & once is enough, for me anyway..... [shrug]

Goofus_Max

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
Actually, I still play Doom and Doom II now and then, through Doom Legacy, and I'd play some Heretic too, if I hadn't lost the floppies for it long ago... :D

I kind of like Action RPGs like Diablo, Sacred, and Dungeon Siege II (I never played Dungeon Siege I, but I hear they're real similar). If they get cheap enough, go for it.

fiercetiger

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Dungeon Siege, Legends of Aranna and Dungeon Siege II are fantastic RPG games, Ill give you that.

Online RPG's are now a thing I play on most of the time, Guild Wars and World of Warcraft rule.