Need help with a new set up

k_chirayus

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
I just build a new system with EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard w/ core i 7. I current have 3 1 GB RAMs and I have slot more available slots and I have 1 EVGA GeForce GTX 295. Now I am planning to install the windows 7 so I want to know which would be better for the system. The X64 or X86 and can anyone please explain the difference between the two for my. I have no idea.

Solution
So you have a 3GB system and you're wondering whether to install 32-bit or 64-bit Windows?

With the memory you have you only need the 32-bit version. But if you ever add more memory, a 32-bit Windows 7 won't be able to use all of it (32-bit has a 4GB maximum limit, and with a Core i7 your next memory upgrade would probably be to at least 6GB).

If I were you I'd install the 64-bit version, since it doesn't cost any more (both versions are included when you buy Windows 7) and there's basically no downside to using it. That way you avoid having to reinstall everything if you ever want to add more memory to your system.
So you have a 3GB system and you're wondering whether to install 32-bit or 64-bit Windows?

With the memory you have you only need the 32-bit version. But if you ever add more memory, a 32-bit Windows 7 won't be able to use all of it (32-bit has a 4GB maximum limit, and with a Core i7 your next memory upgrade would probably be to at least 6GB).

If I were you I'd install the 64-bit version, since it doesn't cost any more (both versions are included when you buy Windows 7) and there's basically no downside to using it. That way you avoid having to reinstall everything if you ever want to add more memory to your system.

Solution
I agree with the first 3 replies. Go for 64 bit. Driver an application compatibility is for the most part, a thing of the past. Plus, as already mentioned, if you end up adding enough RAM to your system to go over 4GB, you won't need to reinstall Windows to take advantage of it.