Sign in with
Your question

Interview question for imaging computers

Last response: in Business Computing
November 21, 2012 2:05:31 PM

Hello, I am interviewing for a job with description of imaging systems (laptops and desktops) with Win8 and updating drivers. Any heads up on what questions to be ready for?
November 21, 2012 2:09:28 PM

What is your greatest weakness?
a b 8 Security
November 21, 2012 3:10:00 PM

wgemnjmb said:
Hello, I am interviewing for a job with description of imaging systems (laptops and desktops) with Win8 and updating drivers. Any heads up on what questions to be ready for?

Yeah, every interview is unique, you should be ready for any and all questions, and don't try to BS your way through anything.
Related resources
November 21, 2012 3:23:09 PM

Agreed with bubblehead. Also, if you told us what kind of job you were interviewing for we might be able to give u ideas as to what subjects u might want to cover.

For example a IT technician at a call center or business will be different then a pc repair shop. Both would involve imaging pc's.
November 21, 2012 5:25:05 PM

Yes it is a call center, I do not have anyother details. That is why I am worried about the interview. I think they probably want to migrate to win8 so techs have hands on for support.
November 21, 2012 5:50:58 PM

From the description of ‘Imaging system with Win8 and updating drivers’ I would guess they are looking for someone to help prepare a Sysprep image of Windows 8 for their hardware.

What is Sysprep? Well Sysprep is a Microsoft tool used buy system builders and enterprise to prepare an image, normally customised with apps installed, for mass deployment over a network or from removable media. It is a part of the Windows AIK (Administrators Installation Kit) and is used along with Windows PE, ImageX and other tools in the AIK to produce and deploy a custom Windows image.

My recommendation would be to try Googling for ‘Sysprep’ or ‘Windows AIK’. You could also download the AIK from Microsoft (it’s a free download) along with looking at the user guides available on the Microsoft site.

Good luck.
November 21, 2012 6:11:10 PM

hollett said:

My recommendation would be to try Googling for ‘Sysprep’ or ‘Windows AIK’. You could also download the AIK from Microsoft (it’s a free download) along with looking at the user guides available on the Microsoft site.

Good luck.

This ^

I also work at a call center (kind of). When i get ready to replace machines (win7) yearly I as well use sysprep, external storage and ghost to re-image machines. Makes it faster. Can usually deploy and have 10 machines ready a day.

I would also make sure you are familiar with domain environments, basic networking, tcp/ip, and some knowledge of VOIP phone systems wouldn't hurt either, etc. The basics. (Don't cram to much)

Be confident in yourself and what you know and reassure them that your a quick learner and more then willing to tackle the tasks. Google is the best friend a tech can have ;) .

Best of luck on your interview!
November 21, 2012 6:42:28 PM

Be prepared to talk about everything on your resume.

For each past job or experience(course) you listed, be prepared to explain a couple good projects or activities you did in each one and what you indivicually did. Perhaps some things you learned about each one.

For technical work, be prepared for any of the tech info you have listed, as well as a polite way to answer a question you don't know.

Search google on how to do an interview, and make sure you have all that covered.
a b 8 Security
November 21, 2012 7:00:26 PM

hollett said:
From the description of ‘Imaging system with Win8 and updating drivers’ I would guess they are looking for someone to help prepare a Sysprep image of Windows 8 for their hardware.

What is Sysprep? Well Sysprep is a Microsoft tool used buy system builders and enterprise to prepare an image, normally customised with apps installed, for mass deployment over a network or from removable media. It is a part of the Windows AIK (Administrators Installation Kit) and is used along with Windows PE, ImageX and other tools in the AIK to produce and deploy a custom Windows image.

Good luck.

Sysprep no longer exists from Windows 7 onward.

This is one way to do it now: http://www.answersthatwork.com/Download_Area/ATW_Librar...

And this is the official Microsoft way of deploying Windows 7: http://technet.microsoft.com/library/ee523213.aspx
November 21, 2012 7:22:31 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
Sysprep no longer exists from Windows 7 onward.

Not trying to argue.. But sysprep is built into windows 7.

It's located C: /windows/system32/sysprep

I use it for every new order of machines that we get.

(could have misinterpreted what you were saying i apologize if this is the case.)
a b 8 Security
November 21, 2012 7:38:03 PM

I stand corrected. However, the MDT tool is much better when deploying multiple workstations simultaneously.
a b 8 Security
November 21, 2012 8:34:06 PM

Universal Image Utility is another good tool. It basically slipstreams thousands of drivers into an image you can basically use on any machine(even laptops) so you don't have multiple images.
November 21, 2012 10:01:07 PM

Thank you all
November 26, 2012 7:55:01 PM

You have SCCM - System Central Configuration Manager, 2007/2012

MDT, Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, 2007, 2012

Windows AIK - Automatic Installation Kit

Other 3rd party things like Alteris, BigFix, etc.

If you're doing Win8, that'll be interesting as SCCM 2012 and MDT 2012 currently do not support Win8 until SP1 is fully released. Actually MDT 2012 might support Win8, I know SCCM 2012 won't support it until SP1.
January 3, 2013 3:51:45 AM

First of all, You should read the blog over the topics for which you are appearing for interview, So you can get up to date knowledge on those topics.

Second, Whatever things you mention in your Resume, You should have awareness about it.
!