Anybody else have problems with Fujitsu HDD in a Dell C640 ?

I have a project where I need a Win2000Pro system for a few days, So I
thought I load it into onto my Latitude C640 on a spare 2-1/2" Fujitsu
MHH2064AT drive. It's 6.4 GB which is kinda small but big enough for
what I need. The specs say it's an ATA-33 drive.

I know I'm installing Win2000 right, and installing all the correct
latest drivers from the Dell site - I've done this dozens of times
before on C640s, but always using IBM/Hitachi or Seagate drives.

But loading it on this fujitsu drive, it's godawful S-L-O-W. It takes
forever to start windows or open anything and the mouse is jerky - just
like there's an IRQ conflict, except that device manager reports that
all is well.

Anybody else had similar experiences with Fujitsu drives in a Dell
Latitude ?

- FM -
5 answers Last reply
More about anybody problems fujitsu dell c640

    Is the drive known to be in 100% tip-topn condition? Did you run Fujitsu's
    diagnostics? ... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:33:46 -0500, Fred Mau <fred-dot-mau@comcast.net> wrote:

    >I have a project where I need a Win2000Pro system for a few days, So I
    >thought I load it into onto my Latitude C640 on a spare 2-1/2" Fujitsu
    >MHH2064AT drive. It's 6.4 GB which is kinda small but big enough for
    >what I need. The specs say it's an ATA-33 drive.
    >
    >I know I'm installing Win2000 right, and installing all the correct
    >latest drivers from the Dell site - I've done this dozens of times
    >before on C640s, but always using IBM/Hitachi or Seagate drives.
    >
    >But loading it on this fujitsu drive, it's godawful S-L-O-W. It takes
    >forever to start windows or open anything and the mouse is jerky - just
    >like there's an IRQ conflict, except that device manager reports that
    >all is well.
    >
    >Anybody else had similar experiences with Fujitsu drives in a Dell
    >Latitude ?
    >

    >- FM -

    Yes, but not in this laptop. I have an old Optiplex GX110 rigged up with
    a removable drive cage, for testing hard drives. I ran the Fujitsu
    diagnostic and their FJERASE zero-fill utility on there before sticking
    it in the latitude.

    I erased it again and I'm trying XP, just to see if there's any
    difference.

    - FM -

    ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in

    > Is the drive known to be in 100% tip-topn condition? Did you run
    > Fujitsu's diagnostics? ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:33:46 -0500, Fred Mau
    > <fred-dot-mau@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a project where I need a Win2000Pro system for a few days, So I
    >>thought I load it into onto my Latitude C640 on a spare 2-1/2" Fujitsu
    >>MHH2064AT drive. It's 6.4 GB which is kinda small but big enough for
    >>what I need. The specs say it's an ATA-33 drive.
    >>
    >>I know I'm installing Win2000 right, and installing all the correct
    >>latest drivers from the Dell site - I've done this dozens of times
    >>before on C640s, but always using IBM/Hitachi or Seagate drives.
    >>
    >>But loading it on this fujitsu drive, it's godawful S-L-O-W. It takes
    >>forever to start windows or open anything and the mouse is jerky -
    >>just like there's an IRQ conflict, except that device manager reports
    >>that all is well.
    >>
    >>Anybody else had similar experiences with Fujitsu drives in a Dell
    >>Latitude ?
    >>

    >>- FM -

    Hi!

    > I have a project where I need a Win2000Pro system for a few days, So I
    > thought I load it into onto my Latitude C640 on a spare 2-1/2" Fujitsu
    > MHH2064AT drive. It's 6.4 GB which is kinda small but big enough for
    > what I need. The specs say it's an ATA-33 drive.

    Fred, I have a Fujitsu 3.5 inch drive in the 6.4GB capacity that is doing
    the exact same thing in a Compaq K6 desktop machine.

    I can't figure out what the problem is. The drive is SLOW and seems to churn
    a lot, despite having 256MB of RAM installed. Most of the time the HDD light
    isn't on more than normal. I know there are no issues with spyware, viruses
    or bloated software. The drive passes through SpinRite and every other test
    I can dream up to run on it...it just takes its sweet time to do *anything*.

    Fujitsu had a line of drives that were just no good. They were known to just
    up and die. I don't know if this includes the 6.4GB series or not...or if it
    includes laptop drives. I've seen a lot of them die and Fujitsu might have
    even been sued regarding this problem.

    If I were you, I'd dump the drive and replace it.

    William

    "William R. Walsh" <newgroups1@nojunquemail.walshcomptech.com> wrote in

    > Hi!
    >
    >> I have a project where I need a Win2000Pro system for a few days, So
    >> I thought I load it into onto my Latitude C640 on a spare 2-1/2"
    >> Fujitsu MHH2064AT drive. It's 6.4 GB which is kinda small but big
    >> enough for what I need. The specs say it's an ATA-33 drive.
    >
    > Fred, I have a Fujitsu 3.5 inch drive in the 6.4GB capacity that is
    > doing the exact same thing in a Compaq K6 desktop machine.
    >
    > I can't figure out what the problem is. The drive is SLOW and seems to
    > churn a lot, despite having 256MB of RAM installed. Most of the time
    > the HDD light isn't on more than normal. I know there are no issues
    > with spyware, viruses or bloated software. The drive passes through
    > SpinRite and every other test I can dream up to run on it...it just
    > takes its sweet time to do *anything*.
    >
    > Fujitsu had a line of drives that were just no good. They were known
    > to just up and die. I don't know if this includes the 6.4GB series or
    > not...or if it includes laptop drives. I've seen a lot of them die and
    > Fujitsu might have even been sued regarding this problem.
    >
    > If I were you, I'd dump the drive and replace it.
    >
    > William

    Yes, I've concluded the Fujitsu MHH2064AT is just garbage, even though
    it passes every test I've run on it. I tried XP, just to see if it was
    a Win2000 issue, same results.

    I replaced it with a 5 GB IBM Travelstar DJSA-205 which behaves fine.

    To run my Win2000 app the next couple days, I would rather have had a
    6.4 GB instead of a 5 GB, but not at that performance hit.

    Thanks for the advice.

    - FM -

    could it simply be jumpered incorrectly?
    http://www.scinet.com/global/support/computing/storage/hdd/eol/mhdd/mhg2xxx-jumper.html
    does the behaviour change if you remove the cd drive? i wonder if the
    system has just one ide controller and that the cd drive and hd are jumpered
    differently and so performing badly. also, i assume that you installed the
    intel mobile chipset support directly after installing win2k.

    "Fred Mau" <fred-dot-mau@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > "William R. Walsh" <newgroups1@nojunquemail.walshcomptech.com> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >>> I have a project where I need a Win2000Pro system for a few days, So
    >>> I thought I load it into onto my Latitude C640 on a spare 2-1/2"
    >>> Fujitsu MHH2064AT drive. It's 6.4 GB which is kinda small but big
    >>> enough for what I need. The specs say it's an ATA-33 drive.
    >>
    >> Fred, I have a Fujitsu 3.5 inch drive in the 6.4GB capacity that is
    >> doing the exact same thing in a Compaq K6 desktop machine.
    >>
    >> I can't figure out what the problem is. The drive is SLOW and seems to
    >> churn a lot, despite having 256MB of RAM installed. Most of the time
    >> the HDD light isn't on more than normal. I know there are no issues
    >> with spyware, viruses or bloated software. The drive passes through
    >> SpinRite and every other test I can dream up to run on it...it just
    >> takes its sweet time to do *anything*.
    >>
    >> Fujitsu had a line of drives that were just no good. They were known
    >> to just up and die. I don't know if this includes the 6.4GB series or
    >> not...or if it includes laptop drives. I've seen a lot of them die and
    >> Fujitsu might have even been sued regarding this problem.
    >>
    >> If I were you, I'd dump the drive and replace it.
    >>
    >> William
    >>

    > Yes, I've concluded the Fujitsu MHH2064AT is just garbage, even though
    > it passes every test I've run on it. I tried XP, just to see if it was
    > a Win2000 issue, same results.
    >
    > I replaced it with a 5 GB IBM Travelstar DJSA-205 which behaves fine.
    >
    > To run my Win2000 app the next couple days, I would rather have had a
    > 6.4 GB instead of a 5 GB, but not at that performance hit.
    >
    > Thanks for the advice.
    >
    > - FM -

Dell Fujitsu Computers