Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

A7V133 problems

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
March 16, 2002 10:18:37 PM

I have two problems with my A7V133. First, the FSB won't go higher than 149 MHz. Is there any way to improve that (well that's not that much of a problem...)
Then it won't boot with the Vcore set at 1.85V, about 50% of the time. Is this normal? Could the problem be my CPU (a Duron 650)?


By learning the teachings of Zerthimon I have become stronger.

More about : a7v133 problems

March 16, 2002 10:58:57 PM

Can't go higher than 149mhz with a <b>Duron</b>! LOL!

What multiplier are you using? What is the level of overclock? How far does it overclock at stock bus speed of 100mhz?

I've never heard of an older Duron at even 149mhz. I don't know if the Duron, your memory, or your motherboard is holding you back but it's one of the three. I don't know how high others have been able to push FSB with the A7V133 but if it's an older one 149mhz sounds pretty good. I can push an Epox 8KTA3PRO, which is a very recent KT133A motherboard, up to 156 mhz but I'm using PC150 memory and at full 2-2-5-2 (or whatever the order) settings (and I have a Tbird). Are you using PC133 memory? If you are using PC133 memory you are doing well. What are your memory timings? Try conservative ones.

As you can see, there are a lot of things that can hold down FSB.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 03/16/02 08:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 17, 2002 12:24:41 AM

I am currently at 6x144=864 MHz (vcore=1.80), but by lowering the multiplier I can go as high as 149. What annoys me is the fact that half of the time it won't post at 1.85 vcore, which allows me to reach 6.5x139=904 MHz (or 6x149=894, which is even better). As for my memory, I think I fell on one mighty sample: a Crucial PC-133 CL2, which still runs stably at 149 MHz CAS 2-2-2. I believe the problem for the FSB is really the chipset, because even at CL3 and 150 fsb, the mobo doesn't boot. I have seen reports of 170 fsb A7V133. But the most annoying thing is Vcore, really. Any help about this would be greatly appreciated.

By learning the teachings of Zerthimon I have become stronger.
Related resources
March 17, 2002 12:45:19 AM

PC133? I'd give you an 80% chance that it is your memory and only 20% chance that it's the chipset limiting overclocking. (Of course, my saying it doesn't mean anything).

There is a way to confirm your memory, though. Lower your FSB to 112 and run memory asynchronously. (On my 8KTA3PRO I use the 133 mhz memory setting. On my old Abit KT7 I use Hst CLK + PCI CLK for asynchronous operation. Don't know what it is on an a7V133). Anyway, 112 mhz and the async option will put your memory at 149mz. It will increase as you increase FSB from that point. If your memory is capable you should be able to increase FSB. If you reach 113 mhz then your memory is working at 151. At 114 mhz your memory is at 152, etc. At least you'll know how good your memory truly is.

One thing though, at 112 mhz you are starting to reach pretty high levels of overclock on PCI and AGP. You might want to remove all PCI cards and disconnect hard drives for this kind of memory test so that they don't interfere with the testing.

By the way, I had a Duron 600 at 1007mhz (106*9.5) running 1.91 volts which tells you that the higher voltage is possible. I ran it that way for 14 months before I lowered the overclock to 950 (but still at 1.91 volts) and gave the system to my nephew. He's had it for another 2 months.

I briefly put the Duron on my 8KTA3PRO but I ran it at the same level of overclock. I never tried for more overclocking even though this motherboard can go as high as 2.15 volt core (2.25 volts with an Athlon).

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 03/16/02 09:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 17, 2002 12:50:01 AM

thanks a lot, I'll be trying that

By learning the teachings of Zerthimon I have become stronger.
March 17, 2002 1:22:09 AM

It is definitely not my RAM, I'm currently posting this with my RAM set at 160 MHz (though it is impossible to set it higher, the choice is not in the BIOS). As for the Vcore, can anyone help?

By learning the teachings of Zerthimon I have become stronger.
!