Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Linksys WRT54G WEP Problems

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 14, 2004 10:16:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Well, as the title suggests, i'm having problem with WEP with my new
Linksys WRT54G wireless router.

With WEP disabled my laptop (an Acer 2012WLMI, with an Intel Wireless
adapter) connects fine and everything is lovely. However, if i enable
WEP the laptop refuese to conect. Obviously, i have entered the WEP key
when trying to connect but it simply wont have it. It just continues to
say that a network is available blah blah. This is all with 128bit WEP.
I just managed to get the laptop to connect using 64bit, however, it
wont share the internet connection! This is most frustrating as you
might imagine.

Anyone got any ideas? Both PC and Laptop are running Windows XP.

Thanks


--
goose
brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 14, 2004 10:16:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

i had similar problems with my wrt54g and centrino platform until i upgraded
the firmware in the linksys. make sure you're up to date.

jtm
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 14, 2004 10:16:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I have the same router you have and I did setup a 64-bit WEP key. On my
laptop and my two desktops (all running XP) I have D-Link DWL-122 dongles.
All this seems to be working OK and has worked fine for over a month now. I
did have kind of a problem with the laptop in that it took a long time to
connect to the network with it. I solved this by adding the little extension
wire that comes with the dongle and getting the actual device away from the
back of the laptop. For some reason that completely fixed the problem with
the laptop. It appears that when the link quality is not good, the thing
just doesn't work as well.

I picked a 64-bit key rather than the 128-bit key because I feel that all
this is just like putting a lock on your door. It only keeps honest people
out and will keep out the occasional person just looking for a free WIFI
connection. Nothing will keep out a determined person who has the knowledge
and the software to do real mischief.

As you can probably tell, I am no expert. I was just successful at setting
up my own little network. To know what is the problem, everybody would have
to know more about how you set everything up. Sorry, I can't be of any real
help here.

"goose" <goose.19ebqy@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in message
news:goose.19ebqy@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au...
>
> Well, as the title suggests, i'm having problem with WEP with my new
> Linksys WRT54G wireless router.
>
> With WEP disabled my laptop (an Acer 2012WLMI, with an Intel Wireless
> adapter) connects fine and everything is lovely. However, if i enable
> WEP the laptop refuese to conect. Obviously, i have entered the WEP key
> when trying to connect but it simply wont have it. It just continues to
> say that a network is available blah blah. This is all with 128bit WEP.
> I just managed to get the laptop to connect using 64bit, however, it
> wont share the internet connection! This is most frustrating as you
> might imagine.
>
> Anyone got any ideas? Both PC and Laptop are running Windows XP.
>
> Thanks
>
>
> --
> goose
> brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 15, 2004 4:09:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"James R. Brown" <heavy-duty@earthlink.net> wrote in
news:7zfJc.6089$Jk2.1297@roc.nntpserver.com:

<snip>
> I picked a 64-bit key rather than the 128-bit key because I feel that
> all this is just like putting a lock on your door. It only keeps
> honest people out and will keep out the occasional person just looking
> for a free WIFI connection. Nothing will keep out a determined person
> who has the knowledge and the software to do real mischief.
<snip>

I'm not an expert either, but disagree with this view. The well known
weakness of WEP requires gathering a lot of transmission packets - for an
individual home user, just changing the WEP key weekly will take care of
the problem.

As to key size, WEP uses a 24 bit IV, so the 64 bit key is really only a 40
bit key, while the 128 bit key is really a 104 bit key. A 40 bit key can
be brute forced on a home computer within an hour or so - a 104 bit key
cannot currently be brute forced by any computer.

--
Tom McCune
My PGP Page & FAQ: http://www.McCune.cc/PGP.htm
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 15, 2004 4:09:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

fwiw, i'm running wpa-psk/tkip on my wrt54g and two centrino notebooks. not
without problems but livable. the problems appear to be the microsoft client
getting confused. i'm hoping that the long awaited update fixes it.

for me doing a suspend and resume after the first cold boot and subsequent
loss of connection brings the connection up and maintains it solidly. still
annoying though. drives wife and daughter crazy and they pass it along. ;-)

i'm a bit frustrated however with the lack of wireless printer support under
wpa. i'm hoping it will be forthcoming after msft gets the client stable
with the update in august.

i haven't seen anyone question wpa security however.

jtm
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 15, 2004 5:46:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Hi goose! I was just surfing the net and I saw your message. I know a
little
something about linksys devices so I thought you might want to try
this:

right click on your wireless network connection icon under network
connections in control panel, go to properties and then go to
properties of "internet protocol tcp/ip", click the authentication
tab, then uncheck "Enable Network Access control using IEEE 802.1x"
option, click on okey. Reconect to your network (SSID) and then
restart your computer.

usually, when your system keeps on telling you that one or more
networks are available yet you can't connect, this means that your
current hardware dosent
support the 802.1x authentication.

by the way, your problem about the 64 bit wep key, what do you mean
when you say you can't share the internet.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 16, 2004 11:32:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Jim,

What do you mean about lack of wireless printer support? Are you using
TCP/IP or IPX/SPX? If IPX/SPX, switch to TCP/IP (and NetBIOS over TCP/IP)
since there are issues with IPX/SPX (works fine for wired clients but not
wireless clients and the WRT64G). Then, assign the printer server an IP
address below the router's DHCP range (i.e. 192.168.1.99 if the range starts
at 192.168.1.100). On the wireless computers, manually add a local printer
on a new TCP/IP port (192.168.1.99).

In terms of initially losing WPA-PSK connectivity; if you logoff, does the
computer become disconnected from the router (and a few minutes after the
first logon)? If so, there is a registry fix that will prevent that.
Hopefully, this will be corrected in SP2 (at least to the extent that you
can make the needed change without editing a registry key).

-Yves

"Jim Miller" <jim@NOSPAMjtmiller.com> wrote in message
news:Ef2dnVuIh_S5UmjdRVn-uA@comcast.com...
> fwiw, i'm running wpa-psk/tkip on my wrt54g and two centrino notebooks.
not
> without problems but livable. the problems appear to be the microsoft
client
> getting confused. i'm hoping that the long awaited update fixes it.
>
> for me doing a suspend and resume after the first cold boot and subsequent
> loss of connection brings the connection up and maintains it solidly.
still
> annoying though. drives wife and daughter crazy and they pass it along.
;-)
>
> i'm a bit frustrated however with the lack of wireless printer support
under
> wpa. i'm hoping it will be forthcoming after msft gets the client stable
> with the update in august.
>
> i haven't seen anyone question wpa security however.
>
> jtm
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 16, 2004 5:48:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 07:32:32 -0700, Yves Konigshofer spoketh

>Jim,
>
>What do you mean about lack of wireless printer support?

I bet he means that wireless print servers doesn't (yet) support WPA...

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
(replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 16, 2004 5:58:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

yves

i've been searching unsuccessfully for a standalone wireless print server
rather than using a pc. i'm assuming that once some issues with wpa msft
client get sorted out the print server manufacturers will decide it's worth
doing. right now you have to drop back to wep if you want a non-pc print
server.

i'd like to hear more about the registry edit. i'm comfortable with those.

tnx
jtm

"Yves Konigshofer" <yvesk@sStTaAnNfFoOrRdD.edu> wrote in message
news:cd8ouo$qfs$1@news.Stanford.EDU...
Jim,

[...]

In terms of initially losing WPA-PSK connectivity; if you logoff, does the
computer become disconnected from the router (and a few minutes after the
first logon)? If so, there is a registry fix that will prevent that.
Hopefully, this will be corrected in SP2 (at least to the extent that you
can make the needed change without editing a registry key).

-Yves
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 16, 2004 9:42:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

In XP, edit the registry and add a DWORD registry key called "AuthMode" (no
quotes) to
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EAPOL\Parameters\General\Global" set
it to 2 (i.e. 00000002) and restart the computer afterwards.

As for print servers, I guess you could try to use a wired print server and
connect it to a wireless game adapter that supports WPA (although, I do not
know if any do).

-Yves

"Jim Miller" <jim@NOSPAMjtmiller.com> wrote in message
news:QIKdnVk697veimXdRVn-ig@comcast.com...
> yves
>
> i've been searching unsuccessfully for a standalone wireless print server
> rather than using a pc. i'm assuming that once some issues with wpa msft
> client get sorted out the print server manufacturers will decide it's
worth
> doing. right now you have to drop back to wep if you want a non-pc print
> server.
>
> i'd like to hear more about the registry edit. i'm comfortable with those.
>
> tnx
> jtm
>
> "Yves Konigshofer" <yvesk@sStTaAnNfFoOrRdD.edu> wrote in message
> news:cd8ouo$qfs$1@news.Stanford.EDU...
> Jim,
>
> [...]
>
> In terms of initially losing WPA-PSK connectivity; if you logoff, does
the
> computer become disconnected from the router (and a few minutes after the
> first logon)? If so, there is a registry fix that will prevent that.
> Hopefully, this will be corrected in SP2 (at least to the extent that you
> can make the needed change without editing a registry key).
>
> -Yves
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 17, 2004 12:15:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

yves

where did you find that hack?

tnx
jtm


"Yves Konigshofer" <yvesk@sStTaAnNfFoOrRdD.edu> wrote in message
news:cd9sll$l69$1@news.Stanford.EDU...
In XP, edit the registry and add a DWORD registry key called "AuthMode" (no
quotes) to
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EAPOL\Parameters\General\Global" set
it to 2 (i.e. 00000002) and restart the computer afterwards.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 17, 2004 3:40:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

It was posted here and elsewhere some months ago. It configures the way the
computer attempts to authenticate. The default is to initially authenticate
using computer credentials and then user credentials upon logon (and then
back to computer credentials upon logoff). Why this matters with WPA-PSK
(with WPA, I could understand), I do not know. In any case, the
authentication with user credentials seems to cause the wireless card to
dissociate from the access point. Setting AuthMode to 2 forces XP to only
use the initial computer credentials (seemingly meaningless in WPA-PSK) and
never authenticate using user credentials. This can apparently be
configured with a wireless snap-in in MMC under Server 2003 but not under
XP.

I think there have been fewer postings regarding this registry modification
in recent months because more and more wireless cards are including WPA
supplicants and client software to replace WZC (and to get WPA working under
W2k). As far as I know, the current Linksys cards no longer recommend
against installing their utility on XP.

-Yves

"Jim Miller" <jim@NOSPAMjtmiller.com> wrote in message
news:A4udnaooEaPlhWTdRVn-hA@comcast.com...
> yves
>
> where did you find that hack?
>
> tnx
> jtm
>
>
> "Yves Konigshofer" <yvesk@sStTaAnNfFoOrRdD.edu> wrote in message
> news:cd9sll$l69$1@news.Stanford.EDU...
> In XP, edit the registry and add a DWORD registry key called "AuthMode"
(no
> quotes) to
> "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EAPOL\Parameters\General\Global"
set
> it to 2 (i.e. 00000002) and restart the computer afterwards.
>
>
>
!