AMD Posts First Profit in Three Years

Tags:
Last response: in News comments
January 22, 2010 4:04:16 PM

money is money, GO AMD!
Score
January 22, 2010 4:06:25 PM

GOGOGO!!! Spend on R&D plz, KTHXBAI!!!

Lol good for them, congratz AMD, keep it up!
Score
Related resources
January 22, 2010 4:06:42 PM

Even without the intel bailout they would have posted (a much smaller) profit. A good sign for AMD!
Score
January 22, 2010 4:09:41 PM

I wonder what it will be like in 2010 with ATI performing so well, if it keeps this up.
Score
January 22, 2010 4:12:10 PM

So without the intel suit they would have broke even? Not bad they're moving in the right direction.
Score
January 22, 2010 4:12:12 PM

uh oh, intel is going DOWN now! AMD is on a roll...

Doesn't intel make this much in a week?
Score
January 22, 2010 4:13:24 PM

Yeah video is a big factor lately for AMD. I have seen countless amounts of nvidia users, who would have chose nvidia, go to ati for price and now dx11 and sheer performance. Nvidia is taking too long.

Congratz AMD. :) 
Score
January 22, 2010 4:14:59 PM

Who cares what intel makes. It's about 13 months of loss and they finally got out of loss by themselves. The profit is bigger thanks to intel's money, but at the same time they would have made more money if intel hadn't done what they did.
Score
January 22, 2010 4:18:46 PM

Even if you're an Intel fanboy, this has to make you happy.

We all know Intel was sitting fat and lazy until AMD started kicking their asses and woke up the sleeping giant. Competition is good for all and keeps prices down. Gratz AMD!

Now if you only we could get some good competition for the government...
Score
January 22, 2010 4:18:55 PM

I'm excited about this. It's always good to have competition in the marketplace. It's nice to see them profitable once again - let's hope they can invest in even more R&D and catch up with some of the new things Intel has pushed out recently.
Score
January 22, 2010 4:26:49 PM

Several factors at work here.
If Intel had not encroached there marketplace
If nVidia had released a good graphics card
etc etc etc
The only thing to look at now is future performance.
AMD no longer has Intel running anti-competative and ATI has current graphics dominance. So if the next year's profits are also increased it will be the true sign of strength.
Don't expect the competition to take it lying down though.
Intel will simply hit the market place with CPUs that are more powerful and consumers will vote with their feet.
Big ask but if nVidia can pull their finger out and release Fermi and get back to being the alpha dog then again, consumers will vote with their feet.
AMD need to see this as an opportunity to boost themselves higher and higher. Pour every penny into R&D and get a CPU that beats Intel for once and steal nVidia's thunder with the HD6000.
Score
January 22, 2010 4:30:52 PM

I'm just hoping they invest the money properly and release something that can compete with Intel's core i7s now that they seem to have Nvidia firmly in hand. By the time they release their new gpu to market it may in fact be better then the 58/5900's but will it keep pace with the 6000's that are released 2 or 3 monthes later?
Score
January 22, 2010 4:32:49 PM

I agree competition is great. Intel has made a lot of profit, now AMD also made some profit that means that both have money to spend on research.

I would find it very intresting to see how much profit was made by which section (Ati, CPU's chipsets lawsuits ^^....)and how much money each section consumed.
Score
January 22, 2010 4:34:24 PM

YAY, good for AMD. I don't understand why they got a profit tho, with their CPU's not being near as good as Intel's. Maybe the price of 200$ for a Phenom 2 compared to i7 at 1000$ is what made more people buy AMD? I dunno. Too bad that profit is not without the Intel settlement. Let's hope for a good 2010!
Score
January 22, 2010 4:41:57 PM

Okay, finally some good news from what seemed like a graveyard for the last few years!

Things look cheerful too for the coming year:
-ATI still has a few months market hegemony left.
-Even when Fermi launches, it will probably be very expensive and scarcely available. In the budget segment, where the majority of sales are made, they'll probably retain a healthy lead, same for the mid-end segment.
-AMD is finally out of the black hole called Global Foundries.
-CPU's are looking grim atm, but for early 2011 new architectures are planned that could put them back on stage. AMD also remains a great choice in the budget segment.
Score
January 22, 2010 4:41:58 PM

I really wish AMD would get it's core components out for netbooks. I can't wait to see the Dual Core/HD3200 compared to Atom/Ion.
Score
January 22, 2010 4:43:19 PM

This is great news. The CPU market needs some tougher competition; otherwise Intel will become complacent yet again. If they can start making profits without lawsuits this year then this can only be a good thing for the consumer.
Score
January 22, 2010 4:49:49 PM

Good for them, but it also mean that they probably will make a loss next year. You can't really put "lawsuits revenue" in your budget right?

Also, litte typo here : Though AMD didn't received
Score
January 22, 2010 4:52:49 PM

SilmarunyaOkay, finally some good news from what seemed like a graveyard for the last few years!Things look cheerful too for the coming year:-ATI still has a few months market hegemony left.-Even when Fermi launches, it will probably be very expensive and scarcely available. In the budget segment, where the majority of sales are made, they'll probably retain a healthy lead, same for the mid-end segment.-AMD is finally out of the black hole called Global Foundries.-CPU's are looking grim atm, but for early 2011 new architectures are planned that could put them back on stage. AMD also remains a great choice in the budget segment.

All great points. I especially agree with what you said about Global Foundries and the licensing changes that have occurred. I don't think people realize what a load off AMD this is as it will allow to spend more on research and development on architecture rather that fabrication. I have always loved AMD, but they need to pick it up in the performance segment a little more for me to become a fanboy :p 
Score
January 22, 2010 4:54:55 PM

zak_mckrakenGood for them, but it also mean that they probably will make a loss next year. You can't really put "lawsuits revenue" in your budget right?Also, litte typo here : Though AMD didn't received

Yes, but it is not the budget it does on it is the income statement as non-revenue income.
Score
January 22, 2010 5:05:42 PM

SilmarunyaEven when Fermi launches, it will probably be very expensive and scarcely available.

You mean like ATI's current offerings? The only thing worth upgrading to in my case is a 5850 or 5870. They are now starting to be readily available with their high pricetag to go along with em.

Or is $400 is not very expensive to you?
Score
January 22, 2010 5:06:14 PM

Actually Anandtech has a much clearer analysis of the results, at AMD Q4 2009. If you go by GAAP accounting, AMD lost about 64M in Q4 without the Intel settlement, and 938M for the entire year. However this is a huge improvement over 2008 where they lost 1.4B in Q4 and 3.1B for all of 2008.
Score
January 22, 2010 5:13:54 PM

I hope they release a low watt(15w-22w)cpu for desktop pc. Be available for retail.
Score
January 22, 2010 5:19:28 PM

Good for them. Now lets see them come out with something that can compete with Intel.
Score
January 22, 2010 5:24:12 PM

invlemSo without the intel suit they would have broke even? Not bad they're moving in the right direction.

You misread it. They got no money from intel.
Score
January 22, 2010 5:43:56 PM

Actually they got 1.24 billion from the settlement with intel. Without that money, they lost 64 million.

They did not get any money from the EU fine.
Score
January 22, 2010 5:48:40 PM

Kudos to AMD :) 
Score
January 22, 2010 6:18:18 PM

So.. now that AMD is making profit does this mean we will see awesome CPU's when the hex-cores come out? I'd really like to see them do to Intel like they did when Athlon's first appeared.
Score
January 22, 2010 6:23:07 PM

Now AMD, can we see some real SoC's?
Intel has paired a power CPU with a weak GPU.
You could do a mediocre CPU with a powerful GPU.
I want one.

You're finally making money again. Hope they put it to good use.
Score
January 22, 2010 6:34:32 PM

What intel paid them is nothing to the profit they would have made without intel's anti-competitive practices. Saying they only made a profit with help is just 100% wrong!
Score
January 22, 2010 6:36:36 PM

Are you guys outsourcing the news page to China? Looks rather incompetant.

"Though AMD didn't received a share of the fine"

oh and watch someone try to claim that China owns us again because they own a tiny amount of US debt *chuckle*. You guys have some users on this board with a very vivid imagination and also lack of knowledge.
Score
January 22, 2010 6:38:34 PM

AMD is not really profitable yet. Without the money from Intel, they actually lost 64M. And their revenue is only 1/10 of Intel's.
Score
January 22, 2010 6:43:07 PM

I do not see anyone saying Intel is helping AMD. The thing is that without working harder, AMD may lost money again in Q1 2010.
Score
January 22, 2010 6:49:35 PM

i love how amd has done 10x more with 10x less in terms of technological developments over the last decade, 64 bit processing, multi core processing, oh yeah and the bulldozer is going to be another game changer,

im super exited at the info leaked on bulldozer and the fact these profits will move the r&d along quicker, from 64 bit processors to 512 bit processing with scalability in between and not to mention sub cores that are actually logical. in the mean time ill settle for a sex core am3, but go AMD! bright future indeed,

the pendulum hath swungeth

even if bulldozer is half of what is projected it will crush the i series processors from intel.
Score
January 22, 2010 6:56:41 PM

see what happens when you put out quality CPUs. Keep it up.
Score
January 22, 2010 7:00:12 PM

AMD is on a good roll...AMD processors have been on a roll and ATI cards are on the top right now...

All AMD needs to do now is spend some money on R&D and start competing with Intel on the high end processors (high end quad cores, i7 chips).

Phenom II x4 is good but, that alone isn't good enough to compete with intel i7
Score
January 22, 2010 7:18:28 PM

Too bad the EU courts are just a cesspool of greed.

They say: "Bad Intel you hurt AMD! Give us all your moneyz... There, there AMD, don't you feel better now you and Intel are poor!"
Score
January 22, 2010 7:20:18 PM

Ship some more GPUs AMD.
Score
January 22, 2010 7:21:31 PM

So, if AMD can figure out a way to sue Intel or maybe Nvidia every year, they can keep posting profits :) 
Score
January 22, 2010 7:40:18 PM

This is too funny. AMD makes money on the best quarter, after Intel pays them 1.25 Billion, and everyone thinks this is great news.

Their processors are horrible, and worse now than a few months ago. Intel released the Clarksdale, AMD did nothing. It's the same lousy company that got ruined by Ruiz, the vile dog.

Their graphics cards are very good, mainly because this dimwit didn't ruin them.

They are still suffering from Ruiz's shadow. As they move further way from his reign of terror, there's hope for their processors. This brainless, visionless, bean counter took AMD from a situation of marked superiority in their processors, to severe inferiority. Some of that had to do with Intel's excellent performance, but some of it is because the architecture has changed too little from the original K7, whereas Intel has improved on the P6 remarkably.

This means nothing. The bulldozer needs to come out before AMD will be competitive in the processor marketplace, and hopefully emerge from the black cloud of Hector Ruiz.
Score
January 22, 2010 7:57:20 PM

"don't look, don't look yet!!! (3 years later) ok, its good now, look!"
Score
Anonymous
January 22, 2010 8:05:46 PM

Wow, AMD has been able to put out a bit of "profit" (as if they earned any of it), because the government didn't like how much better Intel is doing.
Score
January 22, 2010 8:20:20 PM

the phenom 2's are way better than people give them credit for,

intels processors are benchmark queens and review sites over hype performance gains.

the last gpu on die processor intel release was a double step backward, horrible 3d performance and less overclockability.
Score
January 22, 2010 8:56:54 PM

why cant we have 2 good products outside at sametime so you can choose

Its always 1 up/1 down...

AMD Needs to learn to not get lazy... They could be on the top right now, i they didnt stop when they have a good product... it happen with Intel and Nvidia...

i dont know if we can trust them, that they will keep up the good job when they are on top...

About Intel, I believe they have some good stuff waiting aside just in case someone comes with a better product, at least if i were them after the success of AMD, i would try to be always 1 step ahead and waiting just in case.

About Nvidia i dont know whats going to happen to them, but whatever i hate them because they created all this absurde prices for graphics cards, taking advantage of us when ATI was down. i would like Matrox to came back to the gaming market they were the best... they weren't cheap the the quality was noticable superior...
Score
January 22, 2010 8:59:24 PM

i enjoyed my matrox mystique g200, . . .
Score
January 22, 2010 9:02:25 PM

loloi
Score
January 22, 2010 9:13:30 PM

Go AMD Go :p 
Score
January 22, 2010 9:15:36 PM

about time
maybe they will make cpu's for the upper high end and even out the choices a little more
Score
!