A7M266 VS Epox 8KHA+

psyclone

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
When i built my computer the only motherboards available in Australia at the time supporting DDR RAM were the ASUS A7M266 and A7A266, havind read about multiple problems with the A7A i bought the A7M.

Now i had nothing but problems wiht my motherboard when i ran my Atlhon 1.4C at 133Mhz, however if i lowered the FSB back to 100Mhz and ran the atlhon at 1050Mhz then the sytem ran perfectly stable.

This is when i bought the Epox 8KHA+, i have had no troubles since buying this motherboard running my aThlon 1.4C @ 1400Mhz.

So i decided i would return the motherboard to Asus to try and get my money back or to get a replacement motherboard which i could the sell. However ASUS said that there was nothing wrong with my Motherboard.

How can this be?
Please Explain.

<b>What was that!</b> :eek:

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You probably had set something wrong in the bios, or on the motherboard itself. Or its possible your heat sink wasn't on all the way and your CPU was getting hot and giving you instabilities. OR it could even be a power supply issue, could be something wasn't plugged in all the way maybe. Thers SO much that can lead to instabilities, but from changing the front side bus I'd say its a bios setting or heat sink fan, maybe even voltage settings.

My response is breif and vague because the info you provided is too!

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
I have heard of your problem from a number of A7M266 owners (I own one myself).

Most of them were able to solve their problems by either raising the voltages on the VIO and VIO1 jumpers - resulting in a stable system. Or the ram may not have got along with that motherboard.. it can be picky about brands of RAM...

If you can't return the board, sell it. With the Asus stamp of approval you shouldn't feel any guilt in doing so.

I also recommend you check out this forum (it's long, but worth it). Klondikekit did a thorough FAQ on the board and he encountered the issue you are having as I recall, and got by it.

http://www.amdmb.com/vb/showthread.php?s=1574c159953d6631682f6775c46f4e4e&threadid=64068

:cool: <font color=purple><b>You have just proven that signature advertising works!</b></font color=purple> :cool:

TRENDING THREADS