connection problem or something else?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.messenger (More info?)

Hi.

I use Messenger as a way to keep in touch with my gf in the States (as I am
in Europe for the moment...)
We experience some problems though...
Sometimes when I 'invite' her to an audio or video conversation she does not
get that invitation...
Same happens when I send a file or photo...
This does not happen all the time, but enough to be irritating...

When she invites me to a video or audio conversation, somtimes my computer
freezes for a few seconds, but after that it seems to work fine... But at
other times the video conversation or audio conversation just cannot seem to
make the connection, and it cancels automatically because it times out...

We both use the last version of Messenger (7)...

So my question is: what could be the problem?
I have a router and firewall, she only has a router...
I have turned the firewall off, but this does not seem to improve the
chances of a succesfull connection...
Both use windows XP...

Thanks in advance for the help///
5 answers Last reply
More about connection problem else
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.messenger (More info?)

    Greetings,

    Sadly, the "don't see the invitation" issue happens to a number of people (including me) and
    it is -highly- irritating.

    If Messenger can't make a direct connection between you and your contact, it may make use a
    relay server (which may or may not work). Instead to improve your reliability with
    Messenger, your router(s) need to support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP). A wide of variety
    of NATs (like routers) support UPnP now, but you may need to turn it on in the configuration
    for the device/router or obtain a newer firmware release from the device manufacturer that
    does support UPnP (or at least makes it use UPnP properly).
    Jonathan Kay
    Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
    Associate Expert

    "TFT" <amar251096REMOVETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > I use Messenger as a way to keep in touch with my gf in the States (as I am
    > in Europe for the moment...)
    > We experience some problems though...
    > Sometimes when I 'invite' her to an audio or video conversation she does not
    > get that invitation...
    > Same happens when I send a file or photo...
    > This does not happen all the time, but enough to be irritating...
    >
    > When she invites me to a video or audio conversation, somtimes my computer
    > freezes for a few seconds, but after that it seems to work fine... But at
    > other times the video conversation or audio conversation just cannot seem to
    > make the connection, and it cancels automatically because it times out...
    >
    > We both use the last version of Messenger (7)...
    >
    > So my question is: what could be the problem?
    > I have a router and firewall, she only has a router...
    > I have turned the firewall off, but this does not seem to improve the
    > chances of a succesfull connection...
    > Both use windows XP...
    >
    > Thanks in advance for the help///

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.messenger (More info?)

    > Greetings,
    >
    > Sadly, the "don't see the invitation" issue happens to a number of people
    (including me) and
    > it is -highly- irritating.
    >
    > If Messenger can't make a direct connection between you and your contact,
    it may make use a
    > relay server (which may or may not work). Instead to improve your
    reliability with
    > Messenger, your router(s) need to support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).
    A wide of variety
    > of NATs (like routers) support UPnP now, but you may need to turn it on in
    the configuration
    > for the device/router or obtain a newer firmware release from the device
    manufacturer that
    > does support UPnP (or at least makes it use UPnP properly).
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "TFT" <amar251096REMOVETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi.
    > >
    > > I use Messenger as a way to keep in touch with my gf in the States (as I
    am
    > > in Europe for the moment...)
    > > We experience some problems though...
    > > Sometimes when I 'invite' her to an audio or video conversation she does
    not
    > > get that invitation...
    > > Same happens when I send a file or photo...
    > > This does not happen all the time, but enough to be irritating...
    > >
    > > When she invites me to a video or audio conversation, somtimes my
    computer
    > > freezes for a few seconds, but after that it seems to work fine... But
    at
    > > other times the video conversation or audio conversation just cannot
    seem to
    > > make the connection, and it cancels automatically because it times
    out...

    > > We both use the last version of Messenger (7)...
    > >
    > > So my question is: what could be the problem?
    > > I have a router and firewall, she only has a router...
    > > I have turned the firewall off, but this does not seem to improve the
    > > chances of a succesfull connection...
    > > Both use windows XP...
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for the help///

    Again, many thanks Jonathan!

    Marco
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.messenger (More info?)

    > Greetings,
    >
    > Sadly, the "don't see the invitation" issue happens to a number of people
    (including me) and
    > it is -highly- irritating.
    >
    > If Messenger can't make a direct connection between you and your contact,
    it may make use a
    > relay server (which may or may not work). Instead to improve your
    reliability with
    > Messenger, your router(s) need to support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).
    A wide of variety
    > of NATs (like routers) support UPnP now, but you may need to turn it on in
    the configuration
    > for the device/router or obtain a newer firmware release from the device
    manufacturer that
    > does support UPnP (or at least makes it use UPnP properly).
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "TFT" <amar251096REMOVETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi.
    > >
    > > I use Messenger as a way to keep in touch with my gf in the States (as I
    am
    > > in Europe for the moment...)
    > > We experience some problems though...
    > > Sometimes when I 'invite' her to an audio or video conversation she does
    not
    > > get that invitation...
    > > Same happens when I send a file or photo...
    > > This does not happen all the time, but enough to be irritating...
    > >
    > > When she invites me to a video or audio conversation, somtimes my
    computer
    > > freezes for a few seconds, but after that it seems to work fine... But
    at
    > > other times the video conversation or audio conversation just cannot
    seem to
    > > make the connection, and it cancels automatically because it times
    out...

    > > We both use the last version of Messenger (7)...
    > >
    > > So my question is: what could be the problem?
    > > I have a router and firewall, she only has a router...
    > > I have turned the firewall off, but this does not seem to improve the
    > > chances of a succesfull connection...
    > > Both use windows XP...
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for the help///

    Ok, but what if we both have UPnP enabled?
    Shouldn't that have solved the problem?
    Both of us have the latest firmware...

    The problem solves itself when we reboot...
    Only for so long though...

    Marco
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.messenger (More info?)

    TFT,
    My son was experiencing a similar problem with his gf in US; he has now
    installed a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) programme, PC-to-PC is free
    and PC-to-Phone is cheaper than normal commercial networks. The
    transmission is better than both Messengers (without distortion, delays or
    interruptions) He downloaded his system from www.skype.com and hasn't
    regretted his conversion to VoIP.
    Derek N

    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> Sadly, the "don't see the invitation" issue happens to a number of people
    > (including me) and
    >> it is -highly- irritating.
    >>
    >> If Messenger can't make a direct connection between you and your contact,
    > it may make use a
    >> relay server (which may or may not work). Instead to improve your
    > reliability with
    >> Messenger, your router(s) need to support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).
    > A wide of variety
    >> of NATs (like routers) support UPnP now, but you may need to turn it on
    >> in
    > the configuration
    >> for the device/router or obtain a newer firmware release from the device
    > manufacturer that
    >> does support UPnP (or at least makes it use UPnP properly).
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
    >> Associate Expert
    >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
    >>
    >> "TFT" <amar251096REMOVETHIS@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi.
    >> >
    >> > I use Messenger as a way to keep in touch with my gf in the States (as
    > am
    >> > in Europe for the moment...)
    >> > We experience some problems though...
    >> > Sometimes when I 'invite' her to an audio or video conversation she
    >> > does
    > not
    >> > get that invitation...
    >> > Same happens when I send a file or photo...
    >> > This does not happen all the time, but enough to be irritating...
    >> >
    >> > When she invites me to a video or audio conversation, somtimes my
    > computer
    >> > freezes for a few seconds, but after that it seems to work fine... But
    > at
    >> > other times the video conversation or audio conversation just cannot
    > seem to
    >> > make the connection, and it cancels automatically because it times
    > out...
    >> >
    >> > We both use the last version of Messenger (7)...
    >> >
    >> > So my question is: what could be the problem?
    >> > I have a router and firewall, she only has a router...
    >> > I have turned the firewall off, but this does not seem to improve the
    >> > chances of a succesfull connection...
    >> > Both use windows XP...
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance for the help///
    >> >

    > Ok, but what if we both have UPnP enabled?
    > Shouldn't that have solved the problem?
    > Both of us have the latest firmware...
    >
    > The problem solves itself when we reboot...
    > Only for so long though...
    >
    > Marco

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.msn.messenger (More info?)

    "Derek N" <anomynous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > TFT,
    > My son was experiencing a similar problem with his gf in US; he has now
    > installed a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) programme, PC-to-PC is
    free
    > and PC-to-Phone is cheaper than normal commercial networks. The
    > transmission is better than both Messengers (without distortion, delays or
    > interruptions) He downloaded his system from www.skype.com and hasn't
    > regretted his conversion to VoIP.
    > Derek N

    Hi Derek,