Talon582

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2002
Hey Guys,
I built my first PC two years ago and wasn't too informed. Since then I've learned alot. Money doesn't exactly flow for me so I have to buy components when I can then put them all together. Anyway I bought an ASUS A7M266 several months ago. I'm just now going to buy a processor for it (Thanks taxman). Anyway I want to put an AXP1700+ in there. I have a few questions:

1. I've heard from some people that this board won't POST with a XP processor in it unless I flash the BIOS to version 1005 is this true?
2. But if it won't POST then how am I to flash the BIOS?
3. Do you think if I use the jumpers instead of JEN mode I configure the FSB for 100, then the motherboard will read the processor as a 1.1GHz. Then will it POST so I can flash the BIOS?

The only other solutions I've thought of is to...
1. Take the Mobo in to a PC shop and have them flash the BIOS. However the cheapest place I've found to do this will still cost me $70.
2. Buy a cheap T-Bird when I get my processor so I can flash the BIOS myself.

I'd like you guys expert opinions on what will work. If possible I'd like not to buy the extra processor 'cause then I'll have enough left to get a set of Z-560's

psyclone

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
In my expert opinion take the motherboard back and see if you can get your money back or a different model replacement.

I had nothing but trouble running my Atlhon 1.4 on this motherboard and then ASUS turned around and said that it doesnt support my CPU which was total BS. They said it supports the Althon 1.4 but only at 100Mhz FSB. Seen as how the Atlhon XP's run at 133 only i cant see how this Motherboards supports it.

<b>What was that!</b> :eek:

Talon582

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2002
On Asus's site they say it supports the XP processor. I've also heard of people on various forums say they they are using this board and an XP. Like I said I bought it several months ago I can't take it back.

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
Ok... the board does require BIOS 1005 for an XP processor. Are you sure that your board didn't come with that BIOS on it? If it is only a couple months old, it may have.

The place you bought it should be able to help you in getting the BIOS flashed I would think? Otherwise, their customer service sucks.

Other options for you (if it doesn't already have the 1005 BIOS), are to get help from a friend who has a pre-XP processor, or to buy one used and then re-sell it once you are done with it (hopefully you'd be able to break even, or just be out shipping costs).

Another thought is that Asus might even do something to help you out? Not sure about that, but they might... ?

Once you have your XP processor running on that board, be sure to go into the BIOS and set the Slew setting to 1 (for XP processors it should be 1, for pre-XP processors it should be 3)

:cool: <font color=purple><b>You have just proven that signature advertising works!</b></font color=purple> :cool:

TRENDING THREADS