Need Some Help Strange Problem.

badmojo

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Okay I moved my computer into a new case turned it on and nothing. Everything hummed and nothing happened, fans spun but nothing appeared on the screen. After looking through this database I tried everything. Didn't work. So I switched it back to the original case (call me crazy) and just put in the basics and it worked.

What is the problem with the new case (used the same power supply). Where the mobo sits it has 3 little raised things I popped in and several little screws that screws, screw into. So I put my mobo down on them and screw everything in. Now this new case came with these little washers (almost cardboard but harder). Do I need these and is this why I got nothing on my screen?

Messed up problem I know but any ideas would be a start, my old case is a heat machine. The new one has room for my 2 new fans. Thanks in advance.

The "standoffs" in the new case must all line up with the mounting holes in the mobo. The red washers can't hurt, but your problem may be with either the 4 pin connectors from the power supply to the hardrive, cd, etc. or the small leads for the reset switch, hardrive led, etc. I would check those first, and if that doesn't work, rotate the 4 pin connectors to different positions and see if you can get it to boot up. Start with just the video card, and go from there.

badmojo

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
So can I turn on the computer without a hard drive? The 4 pin connectors are cool and I only plugged in the power switch. If the holes are not set up 100% on the target and are off a little could that be the reason why nothing comes up on the screen???? As for the washers where should they go.

Mount the mobo in the case with the holes lined up with the standoffs. Then place the red washers on top of the motherboard standoff holes, and use a magnetised phillips screwdriver to line up the screws and tighten gently.

badmojo

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Well thanks to everyone, I just put too many screw heads into the case and didn't use them to attach the mobo. I took out the extra ones and didn't use the washers and it worked. So I guess just use what you have too and don't waste. Thanks to all who helped.

Badmojo