Sign in with
Your question

Xbox360 and PS3 get owned by?

Last response: in Video Games
January 26, 2006 1:03:34 AM

This is quite funny if you ask me. I remember just a couple of weeks ago when the 360 launched how so many ppl though it would be the demise of the PC, just like when the xbox launched. Here is some comforting news to PC gamers.

X1900 XT's from ATI, 48 shader units, 16 pixil pipelines, run them in crossfire and what you get? 128 shar and pixil piplines combined, what does the almighty 360 have? 48 unified shader/pixil pipelines. Who wins? Computer.

Processing power, if any of you subscribe to PC gamer, you may already know this, interview with john carmack on the future of PC games. States that
"They can quote these incredibly high numbers of giga-flops or tera-flops or whatever, but in reality, when you do a straightforward development process on them, they're significantly slower than a modern high-end PC." Straight from the horse's mouth. Next year todays high end PC's will be normal.

So as far as technology wise, the PS3(not even out yet) and the 360 are old news and outdated compared to a high end pc. Obviously there is a major price difference, but that's not the point, and its often overlooked that PC's are upgradeable, and you can do WAAAAYY more stuff on them than a console could ever dream of doing. Heck, console games are created on PC's.

So if someone trys to say the xbox 360 is better than a computer, tell them to shove it cause they are dumb a**es and don't know what they are talking about. Both platforms have different merits, but graphics and scalability goes to the PC, remember you can now use a 360 controller on the PC if you like game pads, so money and whether or not a game is multi platform are the only two real factors that determine one or another. All 3 are goods systems, but one is NOT going to destroy the other. I just want ppl to stop thinking that the launch of a new console or consoles is somehow going to stop PC's from being used as gaming platform. Besides, control interface, mouse and keyboard OWN everthing else for FPS and RTS. I'd like to see the best console gamers go up against the best pc gamers in FPS games using their respective control systems, i'll bet on pc gamers.

And yes i have some right to criticize because i own and xbox, PS2 i got for free cause someone broke the cd tray and i fixed it, and two gaming pc's and i've played on my buddies 360, so i've seen and used all the systems.

More about : xbox360 ps3 owned

January 26, 2006 8:28:03 AM

I didn't note anyone outside of console fan boys decrying the PC. But then they do that with every console, and yet here we still are.
January 26, 2006 10:04:06 AM

Quote:
I didn't note anyone outside of console fan boys decrying the PC. But then they do that with every console, and yet here we still are.

lol, and they could use the same argument.

anyway everyone really already knew this, and as ive stated many times before, i have a playstation2 and theres only 2 types of games i use it for platform(jak 2, prince of persia etc) or racing(NFS, Burnout, driver etc.) so buying a 300 pound console just to play a few good driving games doesnt really make me want to buy a console plus if i wanted i could use my PS2 controller on my PC to play driving games and i would be sorted.
Related resources
January 26, 2006 10:34:07 AM

I'm more excited by the Revolution than anything else. I've come to the conclusion long ago that even keyboard+mouse is a woefully outdated control scheme and it's nice to see someone at least <i>trying</i> something new. Plus, it'll be small, quiet and cheap. As long as the graphics are OKish, that's all I really want from a console.
January 26, 2006 12:07:11 PM

Bar getting an implant in my brain there is no better control method than the mousey and keyboard. They can streamline the idea perhaps but not better it.
January 26, 2006 1:44:37 PM

I second that, my mouse an key board own all other control devices, its much more accurate even than having a one of those guns that you point and shoot, simply becuase you can move your rist or fingers much faster than your whole arm. Its point and click, the only thing that could be optamized is the buttons/shape arangement and adjustability on both keyboard and mouse, but no two hands are the same, so different ppl will like different combinations, for example some like the Razor Copperhead mouse, others like myself prefer the G5. Both have the same sensor made by agilent technology, so there is no performance difference, just software, shape and button arrangements that make someone prefer one over the other.
January 26, 2006 3:31:47 PM

I think an accurate capture of eye/head/body and especially hand/finger movement, properly implemented, could be much better than a keyboard/mouse.

The fact is, and this especially apparent in RTSs, control is a big limiting factor. I stopped playing W3 on line because it was causing wrist problems and got tired of the whole APM race, true for any RTS, in general.
January 26, 2006 7:05:55 PM

Quote:
I think an accurate capture of eye/head/body and especially hand/finger movement, properly implemented, could be much better than a keyboard/mouse.

The fact is, and this especially apparent in RTSs, control is a big limiting factor. I stopped playing W3 on line because it was causing wrist problems and got tired of the whole APM race, true for any RTS, in general.

Problem with proper VR like that is that I can't quite see myself suiting up and running around my office in World War 2 fashion...
January 26, 2006 9:02:24 PM

I meant more like eye movement determining the location of focus or giving commands in RTS games with gestures.
January 26, 2006 9:43:18 PM

The day I've gotta wave my hand to play a computer is the day it's just got too nerdy and I'm packing it in.
January 26, 2006 10:48:53 PM

Quote:
The day I've gotta wave my hand to play a computer is the day it's just got too nerdy and I'm packing it in.

hehe, i must admit it would make slackers easy to find in the office.

and if someone walked in on you they would think you where mad, im a big fan of the keyboard and mouse, and ive seen ideas on how to create better keyboards like those customizable ones where you can place the buttons where ever but its not exactly practical to swap and change keys between games or apps, can you imagine trying to quickly put your keys into place when your mam walks in thinking your working?

mabye some sort of virtual seat where you dont move but images and feelings are "fed" into your mind then you move around by "thinking", that would be cool but a bit to scarily realistic for me imagine the mental scares it would leave playing a war game that looked and felt completly realistic. now thats just scary.
January 27, 2006 2:43:36 AM

the coolest thing would be a digital keyboard because you could store hundreds of customized schemes and it would be much more sensative, plus cmon its digital :D  im talking about removing the keys and just haveing a flate surface that senses where your fingers are. im sure the first person to come out with this would be a multi-multi millionare :)  but the downside is you wouldnt be able to feel where your fingers are unless you have little indents or bumps but that would solve it.
January 27, 2006 6:18:58 AM

Whatever. A saber fight on the Revolution with the controller acting like the hilt will be awesome. If they could add eye focus as a replacement of the mouse/joystick, it'd be double so.
January 27, 2006 7:11:03 AM

I disagree.
January 27, 2006 12:27:09 PM

As far as mouse adn keyboard are concerned i still prefer them but i don't think they are the best , in all of the computer gameing world tournaments the U.S. gets Spanked by japan and every since one of the japanese used controllers and we used mouse and keyboard , i think that shows a littel something , and the reason for consoles is the OS is generally error free and the games that are spacific to them the price comparatively. and fighting games imagin you and your buddy trying to go at it on tekken or DOA on your keyboard....no i tried that 8 years ago with super street fighter turbo on the PC it worked ....kinda, the consoles have always had that far superior than any high end PC.
January 27, 2006 2:25:49 PM

Actually, your right, the mouse and keyboard isn't the best for all games. But then, how many people play beat em ups on the pc? What tournaments are you talking about by the way where the keyboard and mouse were beaten by joypad and what games were played? I find the thought that a controller could beat a mouse/keyboard combo in anything other than a beat em up a farce. I

'd blame the players rather than the equipment but I want linkies to prove your statement.
February 11, 2006 11:39:38 PM

I think he was talking about console style games, like the fighting games, RPG's and other games where a mouse and keyboard will get owned. But that was NOT my point nor did i ever say it was the best control system for every game, i specifically stated that it was the BEST control syst for FPS AND RTS. If you played pc gamers on a console with mouse and keyboard you'd be even, but if the console games used game pads i can guarantee they would be so owned they would start getting very angry and stop playing for start blaming things on lag and the like. I have played many people on all three systems, i'm not bad with a game pad, but i've seen some video's of the supposed best halo players on xbox and i can tell you they would get raped by another player of equal skill with a mouse and keyboard. the setup just suites that type of game, think about it as well, the first FPS game was designed to be used on a Mouse and Keyboard, doom. It was also a PC game. My main point was that PC's are best suited for FPS and RTS, but can adapt to use a game pad and play any kind of game, where a console is much more limited and pretty much stuck with game pads. Yah the PS2 can use a mouse, but most games don't support it and won't recongnize it as a control device. I doubt the japanese play tons of FPS, i'm not saying they don't, but their big thing is RPG's, look at where all these games come from, most of the popular FPS games are made by US software companies where most RPG's, at least on the consoles are made in japan, namely on PS2. Its simply different cultures and different games, we rule the FPS world and they rule RPG and fighting game world. I personaly don't like the fighting games, RPG's not bad though.
!