Intel's Strike Force: 845 DDR boards - comments?

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
I find it quite funny that they swapped the results from the Timedemo1 in high res and the NV15 demo in low res.

I also think they screwed up on the UTBench low res demo, as those results seem very low.

Other than that, It's nice that they did a compairison of all those boards for those interested in buying them, and the features list should be very usefull in deciding which one to buy. The benchmarks weren't decisive enough to ward someone off or towards any particular board though.

I do not like it Tom you see,
I do not like green PCB.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
no comments really...but it'll be nice to see intel pair up ddr400 w/ current P4's (ie ones w/ 400mhz FSB)....

but...isnt it worse to pair up ddr400 w/ P4 533mhz FSB than to pair up ddr333 w/ P4 400mhz FSB?...
i mean...w/ ddr333 and 400FSB...theres only a difference of 66 mhz whereas in ddr400 and 533FSB...theres a difference of 133mhz...
ah well...people will still buy intel regardless of what kind of crap they sell...

<b><A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2932776" target="_new">P4 + DDR333</A>=<font color=blue>OK</font color=blue></b>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Either no one realy cares much about DDR P4 boards, or they aren't bothering to comment due to several errors in the review.

I do not like it Tom you see,
I do not like green PCB.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Sign me up for the former.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

Only a few of the boards offered fsb above 132. The reviewers did not recommend setting the fsb above 120, yet my epox 4sda+ boots up at 133 fsb at the default settings and is perfectly stable.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
That reviews proves what I've been saying for a while, the Abit BD7 rules for DDR.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Stupid. Tom's been harping about how the i845 didn't stack up to the i850, even in DDR trim. Then the SiS 645DX came out with performance that matched the i850, but requiring DDR333. Yet they didn't put an i850 in the shootout as a baseline for comparison, leaving us hanging. Like, "OK, so this is the best i845 board...Now what?"

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
i wonder why recent reviews on <b>THG</b> has been rather inconsistant...or is it just me?

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

G

I think it would have been nice to have a reputable i850 and SiS645 alongside the i845's as a comparator.

---------------

On a side note, I think an interesting article (just for posterity's sake) would be to take the fastest setup from every major chipset from Celeron P3's to Northwood P4 with perhaps enough cpu steps to show how the power scale amongst each other. Alot of users I know aren't willing to spend the cash on a new mb, but perhaps if they saw the performance gained from ditching that BX or 815 chipset for a newer option they might change their mind.

/rant <on>
I tried to convince a woman to let me upgrade her system with a KR7 KT266A, a 1700+ with 256MB RAM and a Gainward GF2Ti for $400. Her reply was, "No, I may as well get a new computer." I found out last week she bought one of those Dell $899 specials (Celeron 1.?, 256MB PC133, either integrated graphics or GF2MX) <sigh> So basically she spent $500 extra dollars on an inferior system that came with a monitor and speakers she doesn't need.
/rant <off>

Calendil

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
I tried to convince a woman to let me upgrade her system with a KR7 KT266A, a 1700+ with 256MB RAM and a Gainward GF2Ti for $400. Her reply was, "No, I may as well get a new computer." I found out last week she bought one of those Dell $899 specials (Celeron 1.?, 256MB PC133, either integrated graphics or GF2MX) <sigh> So basically she spent $500 extra dollars on an inferior system that came with a monitor and speakers she doesn't need.
at least you tried...ah well..at least its not your computer...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Along those lines, a cousin of mine bought an HP Pavillion 8390 a while back, and is finally getting around to having me upgrade him to a reasonable system (probably XP1700+ on KT266A or something like that). Eventually people realize the crap they buy from the big vendors.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>