Disabling auto-connect Win Msngr

How do I stop MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger from automatically logging
on when I dial up? this is driving me NUTS, as I don't necessarily want my
contacts to see my name popping up whenever I go online. Some of us have WORK
to do when we are online...
I've tried msconfig, and unchecking Msngr, but that doesn't seem to want to
take... everytime I restart the computer, there it is again. I don't want to
completely uninstall Messenger, as I DO use it when I want to chat to
someone; I just want some control over the damned thing.
--
Carpe Delerium -- seize the madness while there is still some fun to be had

Greetings,

Assuming you don't mind, the easiest way to deal with this is just to remove your saved
Passport password. Although you'll need to manually login to Messenger, it won't
automatically connect (as it can't without your credentials).

To do so, click the Start Button, then click the Control Panel. Then, click User Accounts in
the Control Panel. Select the Windows account name in question, and then on the left side of
the screen, under Related Tasks, click 'Manage my Network Passwords'. In the window that
opens, click the Passport.Net\* (Passport) entry and click 'Remove'.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Carpe Delerium" <CarpeDelerium@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I stop MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger from automatically logging
> on when I dial up? this is driving me NUTS, as I don't necessarily want my
> contacts to see my name popping up whenever I go online. Some of us have WORK
> to do when we are online...
> I've tried msconfig, and unchecking Msngr, but that doesn't seem to want to
> take... everytime I restart the computer, there it is again. I don't want to
> completely uninstall Messenger, as I DO use it when I want to chat to
> someone; I just want some control over the damned thing.
> --
> Carpe Delerium -- seize the madness while there is still some fun to be had

Excellent!! Thank you, Mr Kay, that worked a treat.
--

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Assuming you don't mind, the easiest way to deal with this is just to remove your saved
> Passport password. Although you'll need to manually login to Messenger, it won't
> automatically connect (as it can't without your credentials).
>
> To do so, click the Start Button, then click the Control Panel. Then, click User Accounts in
> the Control Panel. Select the Windows account name in question, and then on the left side of
> the screen, under Related Tasks, click 'Manage my Network Passwords'. In the window that
> opens, click the Passport.Net\* (Passport) entry and click 'Remove'.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>

> "Carpe Delerium" <CarpeDelerium@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I stop MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger from automatically logging
> > on when I dial up? this is driving me NUTS, as I don't necessarily want my
> > contacts to see my name popping up whenever I go online. Some of us have WORK
> > to do when we are online...
> > I've tried msconfig, and unchecking Msngr, but that doesn't seem to want to
> > take... everytime I restart the computer, there it is again. I don't want to
> > completely uninstall Messenger, as I DO use it when I want to chat to
> > someone; I just want some control over the damned thing.
> > --
> > Carpe Delerium -- seize the madness while there is still some fun to be had

Hi,

Glad to hear it ;)

> Excellent!! Thank you, Mr Kay, that worked a treat.
> --
> Carpe Delerium -- seize the madness while there is still some fun to be had
>

> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Assuming you don't mind, the easiest way to deal with this is just to remove your saved
>> Passport password. Although you'll need to manually login to Messenger, it won't
>> automatically connect (as it can't without your credentials).
>>
>> To do so, click the Start Button, then click the Control Panel. Then, click User Accounts
>> in
>> the Control Panel. Select the Windows account name in question, and then on the left side
>> of
>> the screen, under Related Tasks, click 'Manage my Network Passwords'. In the window that
>> opens, click the Passport.Net\* (Passport) entry and click 'Remove'.
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
>>

>> "Carpe Delerium" <CarpeDelerium@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > How do I stop MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger from automatically logging
>> > on when I dial up? this is driving me NUTS, as I don't necessarily want my
>> > contacts to see my name popping up whenever I go online. Some of us have WORK
>> > to do when we are online...
>> > I've tried msconfig, and unchecking Msngr, but that doesn't seem to want to
>> > take... everytime I restart the computer, there it is again. I don't want to
>> > completely uninstall Messenger, as I DO use it when I want to chat to
>> > someone; I just want some control over the damned thing.
>> > --
>> > Carpe Delerium -- seize the madness while there is still some fun to be had

Jiminy Christmas. Are you SERIOUS? That's not the easiest way. C'mon
MVP... ;)

Easy way = uncheck "Allow automatic sign-in when connected to the internet"
under "tools > options".

Geez. "Delete your password"? Seriously. :)

Another option is to download 7 (beta) which gives you the option of setting
your status on login. Set it to "Appear offline" and you'll know if friends
are on but they won't know if you are.

Option #3. Uncheck "Automatically start with WIndows" and then treat
Messenger like any other program. launch it when you need to, then close it
when you don't...

PS "Appear offline" option has the added benefit of monitoring your
Hotmail/MSN account...

Jonathan, if you don't mind answering, why did you suggest deleting the
password as the "easiest option"? Is there something in the newer versions
I don't know about? Bugs, etc?

> Hi,
>
> Glad to hear it ;)
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Carpe Delerium" <CarpeDelerium@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:EE8E46E9-8EF5-418A-8D1A-731484489FA5@microsoft.com...
>> Excellent!! Thank you, Mr Kay, that worked a treat.
>> --
>> Carpe Delerium -- seize the madness while there is still some fun to be
>> had
>>

>> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> Assuming you don't mind, the easiest way to deal with this is just to
>>> remove your saved
>>> Passport password. Although you'll need to manually login to Messenger,
>>> it won't
>>> automatically connect (as it can't without your credentials).
>>>
>>> To do so, click the Start Button, then click the Control Panel. Then,
>>> click User Accounts in
>>> the Control Panel. Select the Windows account name in question, and then
>>> on the left side of
>>> the screen, under Related Tasks, click 'Manage my Network Passwords'.
>>> In the window that
>>> opens, click the Passport.Net\* (Passport) entry and click 'Remove'.
>>> Jonathan Kay
>>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
>>> Associate Expert
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
>>> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
>>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
>>> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
>>>

>>> "Carpe Delerium" <CarpeDelerium@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message

Hi,

Well, The options you're describing are in MSN Messenger (btw MSN Messenger 7 has been out of
beta for months) and the OP wanted it stopped in -both- MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger.
Sure you could stop Windows Messenger from loading but various other applications (like
Norton Antivirus, Outlook Express, etc. etc. etc.), so the "easiest solution" to avoid all
the trouble was just to remove the saved password.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Ion Control" <IonCOntrol@echobase.rebelalliance.net> wrote in message
> Jiminy Christmas. Are you SERIOUS? That's not the easiest way. C'mon MVP... ;)
>
> Easy way = uncheck "Allow automatic sign-in when connected to the internet" under "tools >
> options".
>
> Geez. "Delete your password"? Seriously. :)
>
> Another option is to download 7 (beta) which gives you the option of setting your status on
> login. Set it to "Appear offline" and you'll know if friends are on but they won't know if
> you are.
>
> Option #3. Uncheck "Automatically start with WIndows" and then treat Messenger like any
> other program. launch it when you need to, then close it when you don't...
>
> PS "Appear offline" option has the added benefit of monitoring your Hotmail/MSN account...
>
> Jonathan, if you don't mind answering, why did you suggest deleting the password as the
> "easiest option"? Is there something in the newer versions I don't know about? Bugs, etc?
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Glad to hear it ;)
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
>>
>> "Carpe Delerium" <CarpeDelerium@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Excellent!! Thank you, Mr Kay, that worked a treat.
>>> --
>>> Carpe Delerium -- seize the madness while there is still some fun to be had

Gotcha