adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
so that means dual core processors will be better than single core in games now? i always thought gaming was single threaded?

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
sort off, single core is still in the lead at the moment, yet games are just starting to become multi threaded so by the end of this year or next year hopefully all games being produced will take advantage of both cores.

i would get dual core just to "future proof" things, if you check the CPU section in hte Hardware forum theres alot more information on the matter.

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There has been a bunch of patches of late for games to make them more dual-core friendly. In the near future we'll see threading become bread and butter.

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
And thanks to the 360 ingenius design, games will still only take use of a portion of its power.

I'm still thinking the Cell will be a much better bet as well as the fact that PC games still seem, and I believe always will be, to be the ones converted to the console. Unless the game industry decides to pay off the programmers for making two variations of the game to accomodate the PC and console.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
I'm still thinking the Cell will be a much better bet as well as the fact that PC games still seem, and I believe always will be, to be the ones converted to the console. Unless the game industry decides to pay off the programmers for making two variations of the game to accomodate the PC and console.

Wish you were right but you aren't. You'll find that out when you get a console port to PC game in your hands. If it's a straight port, PC controls usually suck big time. Luckily some developers put some more effort into it.

RichPLS

Champion
Some games that have dual core support...
Call of Duty 2
City of Villains
F.E.A.R.
World of Warcraft
Age of Empires III
Black & White 2
Peter Jackson’s King Kong
The Movies
Battlefield 2
Battlefield 2: Special Forces
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six 3
Tony Hawk’s American Wasteland
Quake 4
Vangauard Saga of Heros

Can you think of some more...
Probably every game released in 2006 and on will support dual core to some extent.

and I believe quite a bunch more are supported or fixing to get support via patch... so the list is growing, and any popular game in the planning is sure to have dual-core support.

Not to mention ATI's and nVidia's graphic drivers are multi-threaded giving an additional boost to dual core performance.

If you run anti-virus or software firewalls as a service, this is not an impact on speed, since they are multi=threaded and benifit from dual core also...