Game Section reorganization

Tags:
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
January 27, 2006 10:13:14 PM

Mods: please keep this here. //steve

Hi Folks,

Ok, it is time to seriously look at the Games Section reorg, now that debugging is coming to an end.

Ok, I am going to start with some ideas, and you can add (please):

1. Problem: Too many forums
Solution: Make them subforums (see Hardware Section, motherboard and motherboard types for idea of subforumz). That way, one does not get intimated by number of forums, and like in Hardware section, there is a single button one can click on to see all the fresh posts for the forum+its subs.

2. Problem: Organization
Solution: Keep the general discussion at top. Otherwise, organize by device type (not type of game). So PC, device (e.g. xbox) are org. candidates.

3. Problem: Expore of Hot Games:
Solution: temporarily move a hot game forum right under General Discussions, so it gets proper attention and exposure.

4. Gaming vs. Games
It has been mentioned that this is a Gaming Section not a Games Section. What are your thoughts and how do we handle it as far as categories.

More about : game section reorganization

January 27, 2006 10:41:15 PM

My take on this is:

General
A General Gaming forum --> threads
-----
Platforms
PC
XBox
Playstation
Nindendo
----
Handhelds
PSP
DS
Other
January 27, 2006 11:15:12 PM

Thanks Ned. Looks like that is the way we are going.

By the way, can someone help categorize the games here by the device type?
January 28, 2006 6:57:35 AM

No problem.

Are you talking about working out all the platforms we need to have as forums? I only think we need to have the most popular platforms: No need for a Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) forum these days :) 
January 28, 2006 12:54:13 PM

I agree with Ned on thread organisation.

Quote:

Solution: temporarily move a hot game forum right under General Discussions, so it gets proper attention and exposure.

Sounds perfect.

Quote:
4. Gaming vs. Games
It has been mentioned that this is a Gaming Section not a Games Section. What are your thoughts and how do we handle it as far as categories.

Sounds pedantic. Just leave it at games.
January 28, 2006 3:02:37 PM

Quote:
My take on this is:

General
A General Gaming forum --> threads
-----
Platforms
PC
XBox
Playstation
Nindendo
----
Handhelds
PSP
DS
Other

I'd change a couple things. I'd have it be PC Gaming/Console Gaming/and possibly Handheld Gaming.

I don't think sub-topics are necessary now.
January 28, 2006 6:09:09 PM

I had it like that in one of my re-organisation threads that got ignored. I'll see if I can dig it up.
January 28, 2006 6:19:47 PM

Firstly, that thread could do with a review. Consider it, and the support it has. Anyway, here is my idea from that thread:

Quote:
If you insited on doing it that way:

PC Gaming
Console Gaming
Handheld Gaming

I'd probably add subforums to Console and Handheld with each platform. For example, me and Phukface know a lot about the PSP and could bash together a Sticky for that subforum if it existed under 'Handheld Gaming'.
January 28, 2006 6:29:02 PM

Ned, "ignored" is a strong word. I have told you that things have different priorities. We cannot get to everything at the same time :wink:

Ok, it would be good if you and Pike put some meat on it.
January 28, 2006 6:54:14 PM

So how is it looking so far?

General Gaming
PC Gaming
Console Gaming
...Playstation
...XBox
...Nindendo

Handheld Gaming
...Playstation Portable
...Nintendo DS
...Game Boy
...Other

Additions / Subtractions / multiplication? :D 
January 28, 2006 8:23:57 PM

I don't see the point in the general gaming section.

If you want subsections then that's fine but the traffic doesn't warrant them. You can have your sticky in a handheld section regardless.
January 29, 2006 12:26:27 AM

I don't want sub-forums just so I can write a sticky 8O

Ok, we can go with

PC Gaming
Console Gaming
Handheld Gaming
January 29, 2006 4:49:50 AM

No, I know you don't. I'm just trying to make things simple but efficient.
January 30, 2006 7:55:22 AM

My take on this

Quote:
1. Problem: Too many forums
Solution: Make them subforums (see Hardware Section, motherboard and motherboard types for idea of subforumz). That way, one does not get intimated by number of forums, and like in Hardware section, there is a single button one can click on to see all the fresh posts for the forum+its subs.

Whether we're talking forums or subforums is a technical issue. The problem is there is too many forums as it is.

I can go along with Ned's proposals, with adding to that that I would reallty want to see a General gaming section/forum. This is where you can discuss general gaming issues, and also gaming industry issues (a topic I find particularly interesting).

Whether it is useful to give each gaming platform its own forum or subforum is immaterial to me, but it is important to cluster topics according to the gaming platform they are reffering to. I don't want to read DS related topics when I'm only looking for PSP related stuf (and vice versa).

Quote:

2. Problem: Organization
Solution: Keep the general discussion at top. Otherwise, organize by device type (not type of game). So PC, device (e.g. xbox) are org. candidates.

agreed

Quote:

Overkill, a hot game does not need a forum. It should be a topic in the forum it's supposed to be in, the platform on which you can play the game. If it is a multi-platform game, it still makes sense to do it this way because there's always differences between the different platform implementations.

Quote:

4. Gaming vs. Games

I agree with Aaron, there. Pedantic. Just leave it as it is.
January 30, 2006 9:10:48 AM

Quote:
Overkill, a hot game does not need a forum. It should be a topic in the forum it's supposed to be in, the platform on which you can play the game. If it is a multi-platform game, it still makes sense to do it this way because there's always differences between the different platform implementations.

This is my feeling as well....
January 30, 2006 7:14:55 PM

Yeah, I think the best implementation would be:

General
PC Gaming
Console Gaming
Handheld Gaming

We don't have the need / traffic for sub forums going any deeper.
January 31, 2006 10:01:45 AM

I agree myself...

I've stated that that way it leads to more open discussion about all games..... You get interested in things you normally wouldn't even look at.....
January 31, 2006 10:26:48 AM

Quote:

I can go along with Ned's proposals, with adding to that that I would reallty want to see a General gaming section/forum. This is where you can discuss general gaming issues, and also gaming industry issues (a topic I find particularly interesting).

I vote to lose the general.

Gaming issues....So you’re saying any game issues should go under general, not the platform? Or only general issues. Hehe.

Industry issues....Then call it “Industry issues” don’t add a fork in the road, called General.
January 31, 2006 10:31:40 AM

Keep it simple, keep general.
January 31, 2006 10:34:04 AM

Does that mean you agree with me or not? I call it what it is, so that must be simple.
January 31, 2006 10:36:43 AM

My NFS doesn’t play. Should that be posted in PC platform or general? A new game is coming out, should that also be general. Tell me just what goes into the platforms then?
January 31, 2006 11:03:41 AM

Lump the lot under general. If in the future we have the traffic to justify other sub forums then yeah why not but at the moment what's the point.

In reply to Jiffy, it's fairly rare to find an answer to a game specific problem here mainly cos my advice is do the obvious and check for a forum devoted to the game elsewhere on the net. Unless you're playing an obscure game you will find a forum and in that forum the chances are high your problem has been seen and fixed (or not) before.
January 31, 2006 11:26:06 AM

Things don't have to match perfectly, but where would I post if I wanted to discuss an artical to do with Violence in games if there wasn't a General Section?

Other examples:

Discussion about a multiplatform game (not technical discussion, just game play etc)
Discussion about a new game, but it is coming out on more than one platform?

etc etc

I see the General section as being mostly a discussion area, where as the PC/Console/Handheld are geared more towards technical problems/help - This doesn't mean we can't discuss a game specific to a platform in there either.

Put it this way:

Take out the General Section and we are going to create more problems than leaving it in.
January 31, 2006 11:54:33 AM

Ok I agree. I think the way you have it will be 100% improvement.
January 31, 2006 12:02:11 PM

Quote:
Keep it simple, keep general.

Completely agree here.
February 3, 2006 2:42:48 PM

Quote:
Things don't have to match perfectly, but where would I post if I wanted to discuss an artical to do with Violence in games if there wasn't a General Section?

You sold me on it. Leave General. :D 
February 3, 2006 10:04:47 PM

w00tz! :lol: 

It is agreed:

Quote:
General
PC Gaming
Console Gaming
Handheld Gaming

Steve...alter that code :wink:
February 6, 2006 8:49:10 AM

I think we've got all the feed back we're going to get here... Is it about time to reorg the section????
February 8, 2006 3:52:00 AM

I concur
February 8, 2006 7:52:33 AM

I second that.

I want them to change stuff so I can complain about stuff being changed.
February 8, 2006 8:49:44 AM

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!
February 8, 2006 10:53:44 AM

I'll sit here and complain about young folk and television.
February 12, 2006 8:35:02 PM

On more thing. Can the title of the forum category (currently "Games") get changed to "Gaming"?
February 13, 2006 8:58:49 AM

When are these changes going to take affect?
February 16, 2006 1:09:03 PM

When I say so.
February 16, 2006 3:25:48 PM

Well, Hurry Up! Ding dong dang it!
March 2, 2006 5:27:27 PM

Ok, I am starting the game reorg. I believe we have a consensus with

General
PC Gaming
Console Gaming
Handheld Gaming

Now a few issues:
a) what do we do with games that play say on PC and xbox. Do we just push them under one category arbitrarily

b) Console Gaming:
So we list Nintendo, xbox, etc. as the forums under that section, and as subforums, related games for each console. Confirm.

c) I don't know all these games. I need someone to help me figure out which one is which quickly (and some guesses are ok for now).
March 2, 2006 9:00:30 PM

bump
March 3, 2006 9:24:57 AM

I think the consensus was that we only need those 4 forums. No need for a pletora of subforums. All those sub issues can be dealt with as topics in one of the 4 forums.

this would mean the following answers to your questions

a) leave it up to members where they post it. Probably it will be grouped by platform because of the 4 choices that are there.

b) I don't think we need subforums but if we need subforums then please by console platform.

c) lets not make forums for specific games. If it happens though, then just ask specific which games you need help with (can be through PM or here).
March 3, 2006 11:23:33 AM

I think BigMac said it well.

Its self explanatory and doesn’t get any simpler then that.

General
PC Gaming
Console Gaming
Handheld Gaming

I also think there are to many out dated post and some worthless ones as well. Having so many subforums adds to the clutter.

I think if things were separated by year like the old forum did it would help keep current post up top and old and useless ones to fall back in the pages. I don’t know how you move things, but I think by date would be best and having the years totally separate. Just by having only four forums would help clean up, but still I don't see any reason to have stuff posted back two years ago? Some noob might reply to it!
March 3, 2006 11:37:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I think the best implementation would be:

General
PC Gaming
Console Gaming
Handheld Gaming

We don't have the need / traffic for sub forums going any deeper.
March 8, 2006 4:15:08 PM

Quote:
I think BigMac said it well.

Its self explanatory and doesn’t get any simpler then that.

General
PC Gaming
Console Gaming
Handheld Gaming

I also think there are to many out dated post and some worthless ones as well. Having so many subforums adds to the clutter.

I think if things were separated by year like the old forum did it would help keep current post up top and old and useless ones to fall back in the pages. I don’t know how you move things, but I think by date would be best and having the years totally separate. Just by having only four forums would help clean up, but still I don't see any reason to have stuff posted back two years ago? Some noob might reply to it!

I agree that those 4 categories make the most sense in terms of organising the posts. You're never going to get a perfect system unless we have just one forum for games.

I'm not convinced that sub-dividing by year is necessary or helpful. A thread started in late december would be in the "old" forum maybe only a week later! Why not just let old threads die a natural death? Do n00bs really view page 47 and reply to old threads? Could you maybe lock threads which have been dormant for more than a month or two? (if this could be done automatically - it would be too much work for the mods to do it manually)
March 15, 2006 11:04:05 AM

Quote:
I think we've got all the feed back we're going to get here... Is it about time to reorg the section????

apparently not..........
March 16, 2006 8:43:06 AM

Quote:

apparently not..........

Apparently you did not see yet that all new posts made in the old sub forums are being moved towards one of the 4 main forums now? I don't know why the old forums are there still but there are some technical issues with just throwing them out. I would like to close them down though but I'm just a mod. I'll do another check with Steve.

Please everyone, just post in the 4 main forums: General Discussions, PC Gaming, Console Gaming, Handheld Gaming. All the other forums will be switched off sooner or later and if it becomes too much work for me moving topics, topics are just going to get cut short when the forums are eventually closed.
March 16, 2006 9:28:31 PM

oh, yeah I did not see that they had begun to shift....my bad.

BTW, I have not seen steve around in a while. Is this because he is working so hard on this or is he just gone for a while? Bug Reports & Resolutions is currently a section not being used, although bugs are being reported.
!